AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th October, 2006, 08:01 PM

Here it is.

My Epox article.

I bought my Epox 9npa+SLI off Bradmax.
I bought this motherboard because of the reasonable price and because of my failing Abit AN8-V motherboard. With boot and other problems galore, I’d decided enough was enough and invested in this neat Green job from Epox.
First impressions were good, it was well packaged and most of the parts of the motherboard looked solid. I also noted to excellent layout, nothing is in the way of anything else. The Power Socket makes fitting the power cable in between a graphics card and a larger HSF a tight fit, but a fit none the less.

Before installing my new motherboard, I had to remove the old one. However, poor design of the HSF retention bracket meant it was nigh impossible to get the HSF off. The little peices of metal the screws were inside simply rotated with the screws. Boo to you Akasa – I didn’t expect such poor overlooked design as this.
After practically destroying my old motherboard in the bid to get it off, a little (well a lot really) bit of brute force finally freed my Athlon CPU and HSF. I wouldn’t be using Akasa’s retention bracket again – I’d stick to the Epoxs solid looking metal lump this time.
Installation of the motherboard was a breeze. The excellent layout ensured tidy cables, much tidier than my old now deceased Abit. Everything went in perfectly. However, disaster struck. I couldn’t get my CPU in. For some reason, despite the ZIF socket being open and ready and the arrows all aligned, the CPU wouldn’t go in.
It turns out I’d rather stupidly bent a single pin on the CPU slightly out of alignment. I knew I had nothing to lose now so using my pinky I gently as I could re-aligned it and inserted the CPU. Bent pins are common, but thankfully this time it wouldn’t present any further problems.
With everything installed, now was time to get to the nitty gritty of this Epox. A year old, this board is still holding its own among the heavyweight boards such as the A8N Deluxe form Asus and DFI’s awesome Lanparty boards. I had no benchmarks from my Abit, so sadly there can only be comparisons based on how fast I think the PC is going.
Thankfully, with the Epox, everything is notably quicker. My boot problems are gone. What used to take 45 seconds plus to load Windows now takes a measly 21 seconds. Brilliant. The PC is far more stable and smoother at everyday tasks than before. I wasn’t surprised that this board is still highly regarded.
Alas, the current lack of any benchmarks may make this a useless review to some of you, but what I can say is this Epox shouldn’t let you down. Firstly, it has a fantastically clean and clinical layout. It also has a vast BIOS with an extreme amount of overclocking options, everything on this board is easily tweaked. It’s also much quicker than my previous board, Windows is quickly loaded and games are just that bit faster at loading. I also noticed better Photoshop performance.
At just £78 inc VAT on most shopping sites, this Epox is a year old now but should still hold its own against the much more expensive alternative boards. It has an equal amount, if not more, overclocking options in the BIOS and should easily satisfy your every whim.
http://pics.computerbase.de/1/3/7/2/1/85_m.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2006, 08:45 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Front page!

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2006, 10:31 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Nice article AP!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th October, 2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks as always fellas. It is a pleasure!

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 7th October, 2006, 12:02 PM

I own one to, and indeed, one of the best. I want something to notice to about bios updates. If you look at, fore example, Asus or DFI, they have a lot more bios updates than Epox to resolve some problems and mostly without succes. For me that is not acceptable, it shows some lack of knowledge or whatever of this particular mobo manufacturers. It is very frustrating to buy a mobo and have from the beginning problems and after 5 bios updates nothing is really remedied.(and i kow what i tolking about) But none if this crap did happen to me with Epox, they only update there bioses wen it is necessery and to improve them.
I hope Epox keeps going on with there good work.
Old 7th October, 2006, 01:06 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Still waiting for EPoX to produce a decent Core 2 Duo compatible board, time will tell.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 7th October, 2006, 01:12 PM

Yep, i find it strange to, and also, they loos a lot of money to the concurence due to that fact.

Last edited by Hozee; 7th October, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 9th October, 2006, 06:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I wouldn't hold my breathe, things aren't going well in that quarter. I have moved on, suggest others do so as well. Would say more if I could, can't.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 10th October, 2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
I wouldn't hold my breathe, things aren't going well in that quarter. I have moved on, suggest others do so as well. Would say more if I could, can't.":O}
OH no i cant live without Epox motherboards they er so great.
Im not blind,for 2 years ago i could buy a Epox motherboard here.
i cant do that any more.

So aghastpumpkin dont sell it.
And congratulations with your new motherboard,its looks great
im still on my god old faithful 9nda3+.

Last edited by Finetobe; 10th October, 2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10th October, 2006, 08:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Nicely done AP!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 11th October, 2006, 06:26 AM

Wish I hadn't sold my 9NPA+SLI.
Old 11th October, 2006, 06:37 PM

Why?

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 12th October, 2006, 04:20 AM

It would have done a better job than what I have presently! I sold the Opty 170 also.

Last edited by aztec61; 12th October, 2006 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12th October, 2006, 12:03 PM

I've just got some dual channel memory. Now, the manual contradicts itself. It says put dual channel dimms in the same colour slots, and it says for example Slots 1 and 3. But 1 and 3 are different colours.
Then the table below says put the DIMMS in slots 1 and 3 for dual channel mode. So I've put them in 1 and 3 but if the statement above is true then should they be in 1 and 2?
Can a 9npa+ owner let me know? Cheers.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 12th October, 2006, 02:30 PM

Yes, that part of the manual is retarded. I didn't have the chance to actually set up that system to see which slots would be the DC ones.

I would think 1 & 2, because they're colored the same and next to each other, but then the manual says 1 & 3.
Old 12th October, 2006, 09:51 PM

Yes, it is certainly 1&2 or 3&4 for dual channel. And as you can see, they have the same colors. Some silly mistake in the manual.
Old 13th October, 2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]