AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th November, 2006, 04:28 AM

Memory recognizing problems?

Hi all,
I finally got the board back from epox and have a few questions on it.
1) to get this board to post with both sticks of twinx it is necessary to hit reset a few times. When it does start the memory is recognized as 400@166mhz. Is this normal? If so why does it read this way. 9/02/05 is what epox installed in the bios and in the description for the later bios nothing is mentioned about any type of fix for my condition. It is necessary to hit reset to post with both sticks.

2) In the BIOS I see where I adjust mhz for memory and agp. Is there a multiplier I should be concerned about? In other words if I set memory at 210 x 11=2310. Is the ide or serial being clocked also? I really don't feel like killing any more drives. I am waiting for one sata to come back already.

8kda3+
3200 semp
1x60g seagate
2x120g on Nvidia raid
2x160g on serial raid
512 twinx x2 CMX512 3200XL
9700 pro (modded)
Win2k
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate
160g x 2 Seagate mirrored
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2006, 10:21 PM

Question

Ever since 1-19-2005 bios, this board defaults memory in two slot configuration to 166MHz.

Post to bios; Load Optimized defaults; turn off all the junk in bios you won't be using ~ {in Onboard Devices; and in Onboard I/O chip Setup}.

Verify your cpu voltage and dimm voltage are correct before proceeding, in PC Health; raise your Dimm Voltage to 2.6 or 2.7 if it's not already there, in Power Bios.

Go back to DRAM setup; Change it to 200, 1T, 2.5Tcl, 3Trcd, 6Tras, 3Trp;

verify your HT frequency is set to 4X or lower, in Advanced Chipset Features, for 200 CPU setting, in Power Bios.

QUOTE: "Is the ide or serial being clocked also?"

NF3 incorporates an agp/pci lock ~ {it has a clock generator independent of the HT bus, so you should be safe}.

However, if you are overclocking the CPU, in Power Bios, above 200 CPU you will have to set the HT frequency down to 3X ~ {to keep the HT bus under 800, at anything less than 266.66 CPU}... or down to 2X ~ {to keep the HT bus under 800, at anything less than 400 CPU}. Right now your cpu is set at 200, right?

In Windows, don't install the SWide driver;

and don't use any pci slots other than 2 & 6, if you can help it.

Rely mostly on the 2 primary SATA ~ {NV} channels for data that's sensitive, and make sure you have the latest drivers for both the NV and Sil channels.

I just noticed you didn't post your psu for the 8kda3+... and 5 drives spinning up with, evrything else considered also, is a helluva load to the 12V & 5V rails, don't ya think?
What's your psu?

06.05.02 has some minor updates to code.

[Did I forget... or screw anything up?]

Just my two cents.

Last edited by YadaMaker; 12th November, 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2006, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll try it tomorrow when I have some time to tinker with it. Thank you.
G

BTW Its a 520 vantec. I have the drives split to different rails.
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate

Last edited by gryphyn; 12th November, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 27th November, 2006, 12:27 AM

Haven't been that well lately I am drawing a blank on Swide driver what is this? I know I am losing it but didn't know it was this bad.

I believe it is the one installed during initial install, does that mean not to install any Raid drivers during system install? or just the serial drivers?
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate

Last edited by gryphyn; 27th November, 2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 27th November, 2006, 06:02 AM

sorry -- the swide driver is part of the windows installed chipset driver package, and is known for causing problems with the drive controls.
Old 27th November, 2006, 08:31 AM

Since loading that bios page loads are way too slow. Is it a coincedence? Both sticks of memory running in it on auto. When I start adjusting timings is when it won't post. I am thinking of leaving them alonefor now and try to find out what is going on with the lan. Pages are very slow to load if at all. High graphics pages don't loadat all. I only loaded the base drivers on this seperate drive to be able to post this problem. I will try a few things Monday after work so if you have any ideas LMK.

G
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate
Old 27th November, 2006, 08:32 AM

Oh I saw that driver set and did NOT load them on this drive
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate
Old 27th November, 2006, 10:19 PM

Update: I removed one stick of memory due to BSOD. Still slow/no page loads. Will be returning to previous bios, I hope? post has been problamatic.
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate
Old 28th November, 2006, 02:52 AM

yank all unnecessary drives and whatnot off the leads before you try to post again.

man it sounds like a major power issue.

me -- I've never had that many drives on a 28 amp max 12v setup.

if the psu is sagging out, and the board oversats (trying to keep up with device demand), you'll be risking total failure before you can even come to grips with what the hell just happened.

know what I mean?

sorry 'bout the delay, but I see you've been having problems getting back also.
Old 30th November, 2006, 07:30 AM

I backed up to an earlier BIOS and pulled a stick of memory. page loads seem to be okay but I do notice things run quicker with both sticks in. It runs with the described serial and ide drives. Part of my issue seems to possibly be to do with the video card. I have another ati 9800AIW, however I think the 9700pro is a better choice. Opinion?

Could it be that when I loaded the bios something was corrupted? I would have thought it would be a constant problem. To check a few things before I reloaded the old bios I uninstalled and re-installed different components (lan and Audio)and it would run fine for a bit, then things would start hanging again.

Right now I am up and running however with only one stick installed. Tinkering after work on things has been expensive in the past, so it will be the weekend before I try adjusting memory timings and such.

The original NVidia board drivers were part of a problem, I think. I used the latest from Nvidia for the install I am currently running now.

If I try to install the bios you supplied again to see if it works smoother, would I have to re-install the os? In the past when doing so it wasn't necessary on other boards. Just wanted to ask.

The psu seems to be holding its own, unless adding one stick of memory is the perverbial straw to break its back. If that is the case I will drop the 60g for system and run the IDE mirrored for it until I can get another PSU. Is there any problems partitioning a mirrored raid? I like to partition the main drive in case of os failure, It allows me to dual boot to solve most any problems that may occur.

After spending some time in the bios checking things out I see that the agp will run to 1.8v. That being the case I will need to upgrade the cooling on the card to be able to o/c it. HHhhhmmm anything I should know on this? Recommendations?

The more I get into this board I see why guys used it when it was first out. I like the abilities that the bios has. Its been over 2 years since I ran anything on an o/c due to fund limitations. Its running 2400mhz+, +.05v and hasn't missed a beat. Just want to get this memory problem figured out.

TIA
G
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate