AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th November, 2006, 10:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

Will PC-4000 work with EPoX EP-8RDA3+ PRO?

Hi, first time posting here, i was recommended this forum from overclockersclub when i posted a thread about buying an Epox motherboard to upgrade my old Soyo KT400 VIA motherboard with an EpoX Nforce 2 Ultra 400 motherboard.

I need new ram because iam using PC-2700 ram on a Nforce 2 Ultra 400 motherboard, the EPoX EP-8RDA3+ PRO

and i wanted something i can get over 200FSB with when i OC. And the PC-2700 isn't cutting it.

I looked on newegg and i see PC-4000 and PC-3500 for around the same price as PC-3200...

but the problem is my motherboard lists that it uses up to PC-3200 if i gotten PC-4000 can i hit 250 prety easy? (such as me lowering the multiplyer and just pushing the FSB all the way up. wil the mobo be able to handle that type of FSB on the ram?) Iam more concerned if this ram would work on my motherboard period or if its just a waste of money and i won't be able to hit its advertised FSB.

My system processor is a 2800 Barton by the way. its an old one so iam planning on turning the multiplyer down and turning the FSB up.
Old 12th November, 2006, 10:44 PM

sweet board, huh. congrats on the upgrade -- it was one of my own choices as well.

But try to think more about this when you select a memory grade:

not so much if it can do 250MHz, but what the setup timings will have to be.

For instance, if it times out at 3-4-4-8 at pc4000, anything that'll do cas 2.5-3-3-6 at 250 is gonna kick the slow pc4000s' pants off, right(?) ~ {because the latency of the module is more important, in the end game, not the frequency}.
What I mean is, CPU may well be king, but you still have to be able to move the data fast, in and out, to support it.

There's a lot of really good pc3200 out there right now, that fly at tight timings without creating timing bus contentions [oh, wait a minute -- you said Barton, not A64. sorry]

What I said still applies, though, and if you don't like running high VDimm, anything with Samsung TCCx is usually a good bet. Crucial Ballistix are another good solution, as well. Just double check the timings...
and make sure you read well before you flop down the cash.

[an ounce of prevention]
Old 12th November, 2006, 10:58 PM

Hey,

To answer your question: yes, the board will accept PC-4000 memory unless you're unlucky. I'll get to that in minute

I'll give you the basic info on the board and other things to look around for.

The 8RDA3+Pro and 8RDA6+Pro are almost identical and use the nforce2 ultra 400gb chipset. It's an updated southbridge with a gigabit NIC and some other RAID advantages.

Back to the question.

Very likely before you reach the limit of your memory you will encounter the limit of the northbridge. The more memory you're using the faster you will encounter it. I have never seen anyone with a good FSB result who used 2Gb. This is because the memory controller doesn't handle many memory banks very well, but that's not the only reason. Let's just say the more memory, the harder.
The best results are found with 2x256mb overclock-wise but of course that's insufficient these days to get any real work done. So 2x512Mb should cut it although you are already slightly hampered.

Depending on your BIOS version and luck with the northbridge I'd say you won't hit 250Mhz with 2x512mb. I got 241Mhz with the OCZ DDR booster in single channel and 2x512Mb using 3.5v vdimm with UTT sticks. It was definately the northbridge being the problem. I tried Merlins biosmod and the latest release.
This latest one was better because the vdd, voltage over the northbridge, only started to make a difference with that bios release.

However and imho...
These days it's not really worth all the hassle of trying to OC the last bit out of this board. This platform is outdated, not only because of the memory limitation, but also other factors. This means that if you really squeeze the last bit of performance out of the memory and FSB you won't really notice much difference in real games and apps. It's better to just get some good DDR but don't overdo it.
Running 2x221 now at 2.5-3-3-11 is good enough for me, if you get my drift.

Check out this:
8RDA6+ Pro Romsip Mod

It's about the biosmod by Merlin. You don't really need it as you're running a regular barton chip, but nevertheless it might still be helpful. Just be sure to read the important info at post 2. It'll get you some extra insight in how other people are doing with their memory. The board is known to be picky when it comes to memory modules.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2006, 11:51 PM

alrighty then! thanks for all the info its been alot of help. so what do you guys suggest me do about memory? just uppen the volts on the 2700 and try to atleast hit 200FSB out of it?

i have 2 sticks of 512 Corsair value (its old...) and its PC-2700

or should i go with new ram? and if i do get new ram, do you guys have any recommendations? on which ram to get? because i think i want to atleast get a 1 gig. I was planning on buying a Crucial 1 gig stick of PC-4000 but... i guess you guys are right its not like iam running 64 bit or anything.

welp? what should i do? what will be good ram? i don't want my ram limiting my OC. because iam going to have a prety good cooling setup with a Thermalright HUGE aluminum heatsink with a 92mm tornado on it.
Old 13th November, 2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
alrighty then! thanks for all the info its been alot of help. so what do you guys suggest me do about memory? just uppen the volts on the 2700 and try to atleast hit 200FSB out of it?

i have 2 sticks of 512 Corsair value (its old...) and its PC-2700

or should i go with new ram? and if i do get new ram, do you guys have any recommendations? on which ram to get? because i think i want to atleast get a 1 gig. I was planning on buying a Crucial 1 gig stick of PC-4000 but... i guess you guys are right its not like iam running 64 bit or anything.

welp? what should i do? what will be good ram? i don't want my ram limiting my OC. because iam going to have a prety good cooling setup with a Thermalright HUGE aluminum heatsink with a 92mm tornado on it.
If your chip is locked you will need to get better memory. Running an nforce2 mobo with FSB out of synch with memory you will suffer a performance and stability hit.
If it is unlocked, then by all means keep it, underclock the CPU and test how far you can go with it.
Although it depends really. Some will likely argue that it's not worth it to spend more money on this type of rig although reasonably good DDR sticks are quite cheap. Just don't fall for that high-density cheap memory.

Good that you have a good heatsink as the board supports up to 2.2v vcore
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
If your chip is locked you will need to get better memory. Running an nforce2 mobo with FSB out of synch with memory you will suffer a performance and stability hit.
If it is unlocked, then by all means keep it, underclock the CPU and test how far you can go with it.
Although it depends really. Some will likely argue that it's not worth it to spend more money on this type of rig although reasonably good DDR sticks are quite cheap. Just don't fall for that high-density cheap memory.

Good that you have a good heatsink as the board supports up to 2.2v vcore
its not locked because i use a speed strip with it on my VIA motherboard and i can change the multiplyer around and mess aroundwith the FSB with the VIA. but i bought the Epox so i can OC more.

ya i only want to keep this computer because i want to wait untill the duel core becomes better like when vista has been out for a year already before i build another serious computer.

Last edited by Vash; 13th November, 2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 13th November, 2006, 01:16 PM

Right,

So what did you get on the VIA board? You were probably hampered because there was no AGP/PCI lock on your previous board.

Go in dual channel. Contrary to what some might say, it does make a difference. Run the CPU interface on the aggressive setting and try to get as far as you can go on the FSB. 200x12.5 is already 2500Mhz. If your chip does that I'd say that's already quite good for one of those.

Keep a close monitor to your CPU temp and keep in mind that monitoring software will also show a bit of vcore overvolting. Use USDM, found on the epox website. The newer stuff like thunderprobe won't work.

Also, monitoring software will only show so much and never 100% trustworthy. Whatever you find for +12v and stuff like that don't trust it as the board does not monitor that rail.

With this board and that heatsink and fan combo you might be able to keep 1.9v vcore in check so you will likely get higher.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Last edited by Wolf2000me; 13th November, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 13th November, 2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Right,

So what did you get on the VIA board? You were probably hampered because there was no AGP/PCI lock on your previous board.
you hit the head on the nail... i was limited to about 2.225 on my VIA KT400, not only that but my current cooling sucks.

I'll be testing out this new rig by tuesday the 21st of this month because its all sitting at home and iam at college right now unable to reach my stuff.
Old 14th November, 2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
you hit the head on the nail... i was limited to about 2.225 on my VIA KT400, not only that but my current cooling sucks.

I'll be testing out this new rig by tuesday the 21st of this month because its all sitting at home and iam at college right now unable to reach my stuff.
Let us know how it goes then
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2