AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd February, 2007, 11:14 PM

A update bios for 9npaj sli.

Here is a update bios to the 9npaj sli.
ok is only nvraid i have update from 4.76 to 5.60.
I have´t check what the different is. some say Raid 5.
And i have flash my motherboard with that bios, so i now is working.
I do NOT take any responsible for a bad bios flash.
Use af bios survier and you will be able to recover your bios.
And it´s RD1 Bios savior to all EPOX NF2 /NF3/nf4 motherboard.
http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior.html

here is the bios i hope.
http://www.badongo.com/file/2149220
Attached Thumbnails
A update bios for 9npaj sli.-5.60-nvidia.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip 9sli6424.zip (356.6 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Finetobe; 3rd February, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2007, 12:49 AM

can you press F10 and tell us what happens in there?
Old 4th February, 2007, 02:08 PM

I don´t have 2-3 sata disk to test with . and i don´t want to destroy my raid setup.But here is what i can see.
Attached Thumbnails
A update bios for 9npaj sli.-nvraid-1.jpg   A update bios for 9npaj sli.-nvraid-2.jpg  
Old 7th February, 2007, 02:45 AM

[IMG]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rk/biosbin.jpg[/IMG]

I've got four new 300 drives sitting here, waiting for a reason to power up.
Can't get to it until this weekend, but if it's RAID5 for sure, I'd be willing to give it a spin and post benches back.

Gimme a list of the benches you wanna see, confirm the bins location and name, and any other criteria that's worth noting.
I'm assuming the bin name is going to be in US characters, right?

Oh yeah -- the board I'm planning on using is 9NPA SLI. Good?

Last edited by YadaMaker; 7th February, 2007 at 02:46 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2007, 03:12 PM

Its the same bios. I Just upload it to places.
NVraid.rom file come from a Gigabyte bios.
Here is were i found it. Raid 5 only work with NV raid manager in XP/2000.
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/next...=asc&&start=20

Last edited by Finetobe; 7th February, 2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 9th February, 2007, 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=Finetobe]Raid 5 only work with NV raid manager in XP/2000.QUOTE]

From what I read in the thread, the control is virtual (software-based), as well.
So are they saying the NVRAID utility has no hardware basis for RAID5?

[hmm... ]

Aw-wha-the-hell, gonna go for it (for SAGS) anyway.

I'll run a 32kb stripe pattern for RAID0 (2 drives) and RAID0+1 (40+40 / 80 - 3 drives) on my current bios; bench in ATTO and HDTach 3.0; then run large copy timed-transfers (maybe VOBS) for each; post the results.

Then I'll wipe the drives, flash to your bios, reset the drives the same, plus a RAID5 set (3 drives), and rerun the evaluations; then post the results.

The cpu I'll keep to something mainstream -- 250 X 10 for 2500 with 1M L2; 1:1 on the ram in 128bit; HT X 4.
Anything else stands out, I'll post the setup specs along with the thread post.

If there's anything else you can tell me you've found out about the bios, because I saw another post about it on a (russian thread?)...
Hand it back to this thread if you will -- my english is ok, but I'm not so confident in my ability to interpret expressions translated from another language.
Old 10th February, 2007, 12:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Yes, i just got this BIOS as well. It's got a new CAS latency option: 1.5! It's also got RAM Burst length and a few other new options including some new memory dividers. It's a good BIOS as far as i can see!

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 10th February, 2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
Yes, i just got this BIOS as well. It's got a new CAS latency option: 1.5! It's also got RAM Burst length and a few other new options including some new memory dividers. It's a good BIOS as far as i can see!
I was reading somewhere that the 939s don't have internal support for the cas 1.5 switch.

On the lighter side, the stock bios on the 9NPA-SLI (at 6424) allows for 4 bit, 8 bit, and 16 bit settings on the burst length.
I played around with the 4 bit burst, just to see if it had any good effect on the tightness I could go...

but all things considered, the Tcl setting already eats so much of the rams bandwidth, why would you want to shorten the bits transfered per cycle. Yeah, as you guessed, it was a bit of a bust on that one.
Oh well.

Hey skool h8r, did you hook any drives up to this bios and confirm the RAID5 option?

EDIT TO POST #6: NVidia confirms the NF4-SLI chipset as RAID5 design bootable, so the publication goes. Still curious about the 'software remark', in that other post -- maybe I read it wrong.

Last edited by YadaMaker; 10th February, 2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10th February, 2007, 07:06 PM

The raid0 with three drives on this system is totally unspectacular, as I found out. Use 2 or four drives to run that kind of stripe, or all you'll gain is a slight increase in write speeds here and there... but no gain of any real sort in read speeds.

[ooh-ooh, except with huge files. yeah, whatever]

The bios and OS definitely confirm a RAID5 solution, but the parity calculations and distribution really hinder the setup.
I won't post the screenies (because it's kinda pointless and embarassing), but I'll just give you an inkling of what I mean.

What you end up with, in 3 drive RAID5, is a drive whose size is 2/3rds of the space you've got invested..

and write speeds that..

A) at best, appear to be approximately 25% of it's read speeds (those read speeds of which are approximately on par with a 2 drive RAID0);and

B) at worst, appear to be approximately 10% of it's read speeds (e.g. at low file sizes).

The case of B) really puts the setup on par with the earliest UDMA33 drives, and it's general performance suggests to me that you might do better writing your files to a dvd (or even a fast cd) writer.

Get it?

Now why is it again that I do this to myself? Oh yeah --

[dude, sometimes I think I just need better counselling ]
Old 11th February, 2007, 04:30 AM

Oki it rubbish that raid 5.
In that russian bios, it was NVraid 4.76 that was change to NVraid 5.50.
nothing else was change in that bios.

Quote:
You can download the bios at http://www.epox.nl
I have only change the nvraid.rom file in the bios.
Old 12th February, 2007, 11:18 PM

yeah, I think the 5.6 version is in yours, yes?

yur right, though -- the RAID5 setup flat out sucks...

and I don't really concern myself with recoverability, anyway. It's easier to just run a fast RAID0 2 drive setup, and drag everything I d/l into files on a dedicated InCD (or else network backup drive).

Personally, I like the InCD option a lot better, because it's really rare for me to have a cd or dvd failure.
Old 12th April, 2007, 10:22 AM

Can i do this for the 9NPA+ ULTRA (update the RAID ROM)?
XFX 7800GT 256MB Extreme Edtion
Old 14th April, 2007, 12:16 AM

Yes you can. is the same file on all NF4 chipset .
but you will have a dead motherboard if you make an error with the bios.