AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2007, 07:23 AM

EPOX 9npa ultra - 4gb ram crash

Hello. I recently purchased an additional 2GB ram for my system. It has the same product number as my old ram (G Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX) although the heatsink is different than the original which I purchased over a year ago. I had to turn on s/w and h/w memory hole remapping to get the system to recognize all 4gb. When all 4GB of ram is in the system, it will crash periodically. Sometimes it will startup but the network adapter wont work. I ran memtest overnight and it found no errors. I've tried running only on the new ram and everything seems to work fine. The lockups only happen when all 4GB is in the system and I'm running windows (vista x64). I am running the firmware from last April and cannot get the updated firmware installed. I've tried everything including the winflash x64 which tells me I dont have an Award Bios and creating a dr dos boot disk (dont have a floppy) which tells me I'm out of memory. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 2nd March, 2007, 02:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Bump.
Old 2nd March, 2007, 06:33 AM

Well, I disabled h/w remapping (but left s/w on) and everything seems to be ok so far. *knocks on wood*
Old 4th March, 2007, 02:04 AM

[QUOTE=msudude]I've tried everything...QUOTE]

helluva memory load

did you try just bumping the voltage a hair in bios, repost to bios, hit start button to shut down, reinstall removed 2nd pair of modules, then restart and reaccess?

ex: they're ce-5s, right? maybe they're just a little hungrier than you thot.

if u get a chance, recheck their spds, chip by chip, in cpuz...

and if yur feeling really spunky, post up the A64Tweaker_V0.6beta screen, sos we can have a look.
Old 4th March, 2007, 11:26 PM

Well, it's only crashed once since I turned off h/w remapping and that was during boot the day after. It hasnt crashed since. FYI, I'm running it at 200MHZ and with the timings set to auto (2-3-2-5). CPU-Z reports that they are all running at the same specs. If it crashes again I will try the boost to voltage. Thanks

Code:
Chipset
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge		NVIDIA nForce4 rev. A3
Southbridge		NVIDIA nForce4 MCP rev. A3
Graphic Interface	PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width	x16
PCI-E Max Link Width	x16
Memory Type		DDR
Memory Size		4096 MBytes
Memory Frequency	200.9 MHz (CPU/11)
CAS#			2.0
RAS# to CAS#		3
RAS# Precharge		2
Cycle Time (tRAS)	5
Bank Cycle Time (tRC)	11
DRAM Idle Timer		16
Command Rate		2T

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type		DDR
Manufacturer (ID)	G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
Size			1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth		PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number		ZX

Attributes
Number of banks		2
Data width		64 bits
Correction		None
Registered		no
Buffered		no
EPP			no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz)		200	
CAS#			2.0	
RAS# to CAS# delay	3	
RAS# Precharge		2	
TRAS			5	

DIMM #2

General
Memory type		DDR
Size			1024 MBytes
Part number		ZX

Attributes
Number of banks		2
Data width		64 bits
Correction		None
Registered		no
Buffered		no
EPP			no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz)		200	
CAS#			2.0	
RAS# to CAS# delay	3	
RAS# Precharge		2	
TRAS			5	

DIMM #3

General
Memory type		DDR
Size			1024 MBytes
Part number		ZX

Attributes
Number of banks		2
Data width		64 bits
Correction		None
Registered		no
Buffered		no
EPP			no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz)		200	
CAS#			2.0	
RAS# to CAS# delay	3	
RAS# Precharge		2	
TRAS			5	

DIMM #4

General
Memory type		DDR
Size			1024 MBytes
Part number		ZX

Attributes
Number of banks		2
Data width		64 bits
Correction		None
Registered		no
Buffered		no
EPP			no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz)		200	
CAS#			2.0	
RAS# to CAS# delay	3	
RAS# Precharge		2	
TRAS			5
Old 5th March, 2007, 02:01 AM

yeah, i was just thinking that was a helluva chip load...

eh.. maybe
Old 5th March, 2007, 11:13 PM

Can you include one of these...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...jerk/STUFF.jpg
Old 6th March, 2007, 12:14 PM

Run memtest86 from a bootable CD and check your memory thoroughly. Use test 4 and test 5.
Booting in the OS with possibly unstable memory brings the risk of damaging it.
If no errors at all come up after some hours of testing you can pretty much rule out the memory in its total.

You should consider having a floppy drive and disk lying around. I know these things are awful, outdated and crappy but at this point it still is the recommended way to flash your bios to a new version. Normally Epox boards include the ALT-F2 method at bootup to update the bios. But you do need a floppy.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2007, 03:35 AM

So I never updated what happened afterward.

So, periodically, I still had issues, especially when playing games. It would simply lock up. Most often it would occur during boot. Anyway, I RMAd the ram and today I got the replacement. Well, same deal. I also tried simply putting the ram in and leaving the remapping settings disabled. It still crashes. So now I think this is a power-related issue. I tried upping the chipset voltage to 1.6v but had no change. Stumped please help
Old 10th April, 2007, 04:36 AM

Have you tried under clocking the ram a little? I had the same problem when i installed 4*512 ddr and this seemed to fix it. I had the same symptoms, games crashing and blue screens. All i had to do is drop the ram to 193 from 200 and i have not had a crash since.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gig
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80gig
xfx 6800gt
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msudude
So I never updated what happened afterward.

So, periodically, I still had issues, especially when playing games.

I tried upping the chipset voltage to 1.6v but had no change. Stumped please help

Playing games online(?)... or just playing them in single player mode?
If your onlining, and QOS is turned on, it'll suck every last bit of ram you have, which forces a HUGE swap file size update (if on auto).

Tras is too tight, though, don ya think? -- move it up 2 steps, to 7.

Also, I was referring to the VDimm, not the chipset voltage. Try upping the VDimm (for the HUGE FREAKIN RAM load you've got going on).

Download A64Tweaker .60, run it (but don't change anything yet) and post up the screen here.
Ok -- I'll say please.

Why(?) -- Everybody on god's green earth seems to have issues with this ram to spout about... but maybe a little creative bargaining at the root might help illeviate some of yours.

Come on, man, do it. I dare ya. I double dare ya. Ok, now I'm just getting stupid.
Help save me from my stupidity. Do it for the children. Get a free possum with every order. Hang some unwashed laundry out on the front lawn. Hey -- is this beginning to sound a little like "Free AOA case badges!" [yeah... but kinda infectious, isn't he?]

Last edited by YadaMaker; 11th April, 2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11th April, 2007, 04:11 AM

I was just playing oblivion, so single player.

All of my memory timings are set to auto aside from the frequency which I turned down all the way to 166mhz. Since I have done so, it hasn't crashed. Im about to try playing some games to see what happens. I would like to run it at the full 200mhz (like the rated speed of the ram). I can try tweaking the other timings as you mentioned. What do you think I should set my memory voltage at?

That a64 program doesn't work for me. If I run as administrator it at least comes up, but with the wrong values. So I just took pictures of the bios screens...

(its not letting me put in the links grr)

files.radixpub.com/1.jpg
files.radixpub.com/4.jpg
files.radixpub.com/2.jpg
files.radixpub.com/3.jpg
Old 13th April, 2007, 01:29 AM

Bios memory screen, from top to bottom:

2T, 2.0, 3T, 9T, 2T, 2T,3T, 2T*, 11T, 13-17T, 3T, 15.6**, Auto, Auto, 64, Auto, Auto, Auto, Enabled, Auto, 4 beats.

Astricular Notes:

*1T is known to cause instabilities and errors, particularly under conditions of high memory load.
**try this setting, to reduce how often the memory is being refreshed row by row. If you experience errors that seem to be associated with data loss, from too slow a refresh cycle ~ {an inability to continue holding or verifying memory contents}, try putting back to 7.8uS but turn bank interleave off for now and reevaluate.

Really Special Note:

Always try to keep in mind that an invisible "Memory Precharge" bios setting may exist (no, I'm not talking about Trp)...
but which the memory modules, due to their specific production date, may not support.
If you D/L Everest Home from the files section here, can install it (can't remember if it supports 64bit, sorry), then row through the headings directly under the Motherboard entry (er, somewhere.. shoot! I'll try later), it can tell you not only if the memory supports it but also if it is, unaware to you, turned on.
[hmm.. god, i hope i didn't get offtrack too far there. heck, just go on for now.]

A good instance of that is.. HyperX pc3200 modules do not support it, and will go wacko as hell, in effinvery short order, if you force the setting where such an option exists.
Right, forget I said that 4 now... cuz I might be kinda mixing metaphores again.

Enuf of that...
Personally, I would change that 1T value I just mentioned, along with a Tras change to 9T... and everything else I indicated EXCEPT FOR the Tref change, FIRST... and reevaluate the conditions you related in your article.

Dimm Voltage(?) -- raise to 2.8V but make sure good air circulation exists around memory, due to number and density of Dimms occupying area; otherwise, heat could also contribute as an issue, during extended use.

Dunderstuff:

1)Turn off Cool 'n' Quiet for now -- the dang thing runs pretty cool on its own, don't ya think?

2)Raise chipset manually to 1.6V and leave there.

3)Set LDT to 4X (have to look again, or else you do, because can't remember exactly where in bios)

EDIT: I think it's just in a single header, under Advanced Chipset Features; and lists perhaps, depending on bios version, as "HT Frequency".
e.g. [This item allows you select the Hyper Transport Frequency.
Options: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x. (1x-->200MHz, 2x-->400MHz, 3x-->600MHz, 4x-->800MHz,
5x-->1000MHz)]

4)And you can Enable CPU Clock Ratio, setting it to anything less than (or equal to) whatever the default CPU multi is, if you want.

Still at work -- gotta check back.

Cool?

OK.. LAST EDIT 4 NOW:

I kinda wonder what the state of your OS is, exactly, at the moment..
because I haven't seen any of the Auto Bios screens on the DIMMs (at 200) up to this point.

Why(?) -- because if that 1T I was talking about was active when you installed the OS, considering the depth and complexity of 64 bit code...
not to mention the untried untrue nature as of yet on Vista...

OS corruption could be a reality, in periodics, due to the excessively tight strategy of the Write to Read Delay.

Can you reshoot the bios screens, on Auto, for 200MHz?
It could help a lot.

Side Note:

It is too bad you can't load the A64Tweaker tool (sometimes restarting it can lend better results)...
because there is a way of also disabling 128bit mode ~ {dual channel} there, to allow further evaluation of the problem aspects.

Post me what you can; all are interested I'm sure; and I'll be curious to hear your own feedback, as it develops-slash-as you can.

Can you post the production dates on the DIMMs from CPUz?

Thanks again.

Last edited by YadaMaker; 13th April, 2007 at 03:11 AM.