AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th March, 2002, 03:21 PM

EPOX Tech, please comment on this re: 8k3a

Epox tech, please comment on this report from a user on amdmb forum.

Ok just got the board today, there is a problem with them,it has been tested by a very good tester as well to verify this.The good news is that a bios fix should be able to sort it pretty easily, hopefully one will be posted next week.
The issue is that no matter what u set the ram to, it runs at +33 to the fsb under 166.
So even at 133 your ram is running at 166 when its 140 its running at 173 or it could be higher if its using a 1.33 multiplier on the asynch bus.
If you have really high quality ram then u wont get a problem but anybody with older or not so ggod ram will definately have problems even at 133.I suggest lowering all your ram timings and bumping the voltage to the ddr to 2.8 which will not harm it.
Epox have been made aware of the situation and will be fixing it shortly.
Apparently this boards bios is very easy for them to reprogram so we can expect very frequent updates, even more frequent than Asus, which is a good thing and shows that Epox take support seriously."

used the latest Sandra Pro version and got the info from that, also someone who works in one of the major suppliers of this board did some tests also and confirmed this, i believe he used an oscilloscope and measured the frequency in one of the dimm sockets.I will post a screenshot later when i get home, about 6 hours or so from now.
As far as RMAing the board is concerned this will not change anything as it is not a board design fault but a bios program fault,an updated bios should be out shortly and will fix it.
As far as running memory over the 166 frequency is concerned it does not run asynch at 166 or above so if you choose 166, 166 is what you get.Hence the lower benchmarks at 166fsb compared to 140 fsb, as 140 is running the memory at 173.
Old 29th March, 2002, 08:14 AM
EPoX Tech

AMDMB has their own EPoX tech to answer queries in AMDMB forums.

Questions from AOA Forums only shall be answered in this forum.
Old 29th March, 2002, 01:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

They say imitation is a complement, but I imagine that you as the original EPoX Tech don't feel that way . . .

Would have been nice if AMDMB's EPoX Tech from the good ol' U.S.A. would have picked a more distinguishing user name for him or herself, like EPoX Tech #2 or The Other EPoX Guy or EPoX USA or damn near anything within reason . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2002, 04:21 PM

What a cop out!!
Old 29th March, 2002, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grdh20
What a cop out!!
If the problem is in fact a problem then you have two options:

1) Wait for a new BIOS, which may or may not come about, to fix the problem.

2) Buy faster memory.

I don't think you can expect anyone, even an EPoX employee, to tell you more than that.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th March, 2002, 12:39 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
What a cop out!!
What an UN-insightful remark!
If your not happy with the answer you received you need not return.

Had you thought about it for even a brief moment you might have realized that your approach might put These two employees of the same company at odds with one another in their answers.

Not something a thoughtful person, who realizes the benefit of having EPoX techs in not one but two forums would do.

Beyound which, each Tech has his work assighnment.

Before you reply to this warning ask yourself if you want the option of returning to AOA FORUMS in the future and consider your response in that light.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 30th March, 2002 at 12:48 AM.
Old 30th March, 2002, 12:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
They say imitation is a complement, but I imagine that you as the original EPoX Tech don't feel that way . . .

Would have been nice if AMDMB's EPoX Tech from the good ol' U.S.A. would have picked a more distinguishing user name for him or herself, like EPoX Tech #2 or The Other EPoX Guy or EPoX USA or damn near anything within reason . . .
While OUR EPoX Tech has indeed earned our fierce loyalty, please consider that EPoX USA is most likely bound by the same constraints as our UK Tech.

That in the end Both of these fine men must do their best to represent EPoX as a whole without friction generated by inter-forum squabbles.

Peace!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th March, 2002, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
That in the end Both of these fine men must do their best to represent EPoX as a whole without friction generated by inter-forum squabbles.
I suppose you're right. But that doesn't mean I have to like it

AOA Team fah
Old 30th March, 2002, 10:46 AM
EPoX Tech

There may perhaps be a little confusion, although as Daniel (most importantly) does know, I support my customers and AOA forums only, as EPoX Tech at AMDMB does a great job for US customers and AMDMB forums alike.

As stated by Daniel, it is perhaps not for one and other to get intwined in debate with a user to bolster any point from any party.
Old 31st March, 2002, 05:59 PM

The epox tech's presense seems to be greater on this UK forum than the USA one. Who cares where I ask the question. I simply saw a post and wanted to get this persons view on it, as I didn't see a comment on it in the other forum. Big deal!
Old 31st March, 2002, 09:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
The epox tech's presense seems to be greater on this UK forum than the USA one. Who cares where I ask the question. I simply saw a post and wanted to get this persons view on it, as I didn't see a comment on it in the other forum. Big deal!
As we pointed out...We care where you ask it and how. I have tried to explain at some lenth why we care. Dimmreaper gave you any factual information you might need.

So what's your problem?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd April, 2002, 04:43 PM

Cool bios???? ram?????

this problem is common knowledge.

either unlock yer cpu and run her @166 or above, run at a comforming FSB, get better ram, or wait for a possible bios fix.

"happy trails to u, until we meet again" (roy rogers, dale evans).

ah, you peeps are way to young to know what i am refering to.

the good ole days.

baldy

Old 2nd April, 2002, 10:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Re: bios???? ram?????

Quote:
Originally posted by bldegle2

either unlock yer cpu and run her @166 or above, run at a comforming FSB, get better ram, or wait for a possible bios fix.

the good ole days.

baldy

rolleyes: [ .B][ Bullet, Trigger and Clarabelle, Roy stuffed them all! Just glad Dale didn't die first! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 3rd April, 2002 at 12:16 AM.
Old 3rd April, 2002, 09:18 AM
EPoX Tech

Re: bios???? ram?????

Quote:
Originally posted by bldegle2

the good ole days.

baldy

Quite

I am looking at it at the moment. I'm trying to find a locked processor to use but can't seem to find one.
Old 3rd April, 2002, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: bios???? ram?????

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
I am looking at it at the moment.
Good to hear. As I'm sure I mentioned, I plan on purchasing an 8K3A+ and a thoroughbred. It'd be nice to know I don't have to unlock the CPU. I'd probably unlock it anyway, but as I said, nice to know I wouldn't have to.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd April, 2002, 09:58 AM
EPoX Tech

Watch this space in relation to resolution ..........................
Old 5th April, 2002, 01:51 AM

grdh20 you could have told him(Epox Tech) that the problem is from yours actually and not to tell that its taken from any other forum you dope.
Old 5th April, 2002, 04:17 AM

Since my unlocking kit won't be here for a while, can anybody test a couple of things? For those without memory issues, ie can clock to 195-200 etc. Are you having issues from 134-165 as well? I have seen in previous posts that some can post at high clock speeds, but not between 140-165. What I am trying to try to help Epox Tech determine is, is it only an asynchronous clock issue, or something a little more. If you can run at 195, you should be able to run at 162 for the same effective memory speed, if it is only an issue of the memory clock always running +33 at anything from 134-165. If you can't, it may be another issue, maybe some signal noise or something from the clocks running asynchrounously.

Again, this board is still a baby, and I think will only improve. To get around this issue, I have ordered an unlocking kit to see what it is like to be like the rest of the hotrods on this board. Until then, whatever we can provide Epox Tech to help define the problem, will only help him providing us a solution.