AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th May, 2007, 11:59 PM

Sad News ..

Heya,..

OK, for the past few months, I've been trying to get an answer from ANY EpoX email address as to the availability of EpoX boards in the UK .. Was looking to get the last X-Fire board, but noone could be bothered to reply to any of the mails I sent out .. and that includes a few here too .. most surprised, but hey .. think I found the answer myself a couple of days ago on fudzilla.com.

Looks like I'll be using another brand from now on, a BIG shame and sad news ..

GG

Epox Taiwan is dead
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Friday, 18 May 2007

95 percent of group is gone

Sources from Taiwan confirmed that Epox is breathing its last breath. This was one of the strongest motherboard brands but it finally lost the very tough motherboard business battle.

So Epox is no more there won't be any new motherboards and the last people will leave the sinking ship in the next months. We are sad to hear it but only the strongest survive.

95 percent of group is already gone and Epox has had financial problems for years.

Chantech already could not survive this motherboard struggle and Abit got acquired by Universal group which gave a new life to the famous brand.

Still even Abit is doing very bad on market and you barely see any reviews of their products. Wake up call boys.
PC-A9RD580 / Crucial BallistiX PC4000 DDR500 / AMD OPTERON DualCore 165 / X1900XT 512Mb / X1900GTO 256Mb / X-Mystique 7.1 GOLD / Logitech X-530 / NEC AD-7170S & Pioneer 120S / Maxtor 300Gb SATA-II / Silverstone Olympia 650W / ChiefTec 'Scorpio' Black Case / Canon MP600 / Hyundai IT X91D 19" TFT

Last edited by Gr33nGecko; 21st May, 2007 at 04:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st May, 2007, 12:37 AM
AOA Staff

Got a link to the news item? Can't seem to find it on the INQ.

Last edited by danrok; 21st May, 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st May, 2007, 04:59 AM

Heya,..

All I found was posted here .. been asking for EpoX board distros for months, finally gave up and got a Sapphire RD580 based mobo .. shame, was really into my EpoX boards too .. End of an Era ??

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=1060&Itemid=1

GG
PC-A9RD580 / Crucial BallistiX PC4000 DDR500 / AMD OPTERON DualCore 165 / X1900XT 512Mb / X1900GTO 256Mb / X-Mystique 7.1 GOLD / Logitech X-530 / NEC AD-7170S & Pioneer 120S / Maxtor 300Gb SATA-II / Silverstone Olympia 650W / ChiefTec 'Scorpio' Black Case / Canon MP600 / Hyundai IT X91D 19" TFT
Old 21st May, 2007, 08:00 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nGecko
Heya,..

All I found was posted here .. been asking for EpoX board distros for months, finally gave up and got a Sapphire RD580 based mobo .. shame, was really into my EpoX boards too .. End of an Era ??

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=1060&Itemid=1

GG
Thanks! The guy who wrote it used to write for the Inquirer, by the look of things. I'll put this up on the front page.
Old 21st May, 2007, 11:51 AM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Very sad news.

I better Look after the 2 epox boards ive got, no replacing them if they die now!
Old 21st May, 2007, 12:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I gave up on EPOX a while back. The last board I bought bearing that name, well, sucked.

DFI all the way for me.
Old 21st May, 2007, 08:22 PM
AOA Staff

It all seems to be a sign of the times.

There's an editorial here, which Andy wrote (who used to work for Epox):
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/869/2/

Has some relevance.
Old 21st May, 2007, 08:37 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Still got my trusty socket 478 EPoX board running. EP-4SGM8I basic but it was reliable.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 21st May, 2007, 08:56 PM

shame . I always sued them for computer I would build for friends . DFI is to expensive.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 21st May, 2007, 09:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A real shame. I had some of my best fun on Epox boards.

For what consolation it be, this was not unexpected by insiders at Epox, the hand writing has been on the wall. The article Danrok links to can give the reader fairly powerful tools with which to understand the surrounding circumstances contributing to their demise.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 21st May, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 21st May, 2007, 10:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tudor75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
A real shame. I had some of my best fun on Epox boards.

For what consolation it be, this was not unexpected by insiders at Epox, the hand writing has been on the wall. The article Danrok links to can give the reader fairly powerful tools with which to understand the surrounding circumstances contributing to their demise.
But is still a shame that such things happen Who's next??
Old 21st May, 2007, 10:57 PM
Steve Jobs

The guy who wrote that article, incidentally, was fired from The Inquirer for poor journalistic standards, and being full of butt-pudding, which for the Inq is sort of hilarious, but I don't doubt this at all. It's been two years minimum since I've seen an EPoX board in this country, and I bought my Abit AV8 back in 2004, because there were no longer any EPoX boards available even that far back.

Very sad business. At least Andy moved on to bigger and better things.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 21st May, 2007, 11:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Very sad business. At least Andy moved on to bigger and better things.
Well said.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st May, 2007, 11:26 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
The guy who wrote that article, incidentally, was fired from The Inquirer...
Not so sure about that:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37798

They fire him, then promote his new site?

If journalists got fired for making mistakes, accidently or otherwise, then there would be none left in employment!
Old 22nd May, 2007, 12:45 AM

Heya,..

Well, news on the grapevine is that ASUS and GigaByte are gonna merge, IIRC they'll be trading as ASUS United or something like that .. Abit aren't far off going the same way as EpoX, and most other motherboards will now be built "for" the manufacturers in a few FABs such as PC-Partner do already ..
So very soon we may see a very limited number of boards to choose from on the market .. maybe they're doing it to get over all the different chipset issues etc that every brand seems to have at some stage or another, who knows ?

Sorry for the bad news, I had to mention it .. am actually hacked off cos I loved my EpoX boards ..

GG
Old 22nd May, 2007, 01:28 AM

Unhappy

So with this announcement it worries me. Mainly...because as another thread in this here Epox forum said I got an Epox motherboard on the way from mdofpc.com being "shipped directly from Epox". For those people who are in this predicament now what are they? Are they screwed out of money they paid for Epox product in the past? Will they get the product they purchased in the end? Or will they be compensated by Epox in a different fashion? I'd really like to get the headsup on what happens to people like me in the end of this. I am out!
Old 22nd May, 2007, 09:20 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Wouldn't your contract lie with mdofpc.com, rather than with EPoX?
Old 22nd May, 2007, 05:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

As far as EpoX's current product line, the only complaints we have seen in this forum is lack of availability in the market place. So far no reports of people not receiving orders placed.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd May, 2007, 06:11 PM
AOA Staff

Chances are they will come back in one form or another.
Old 22nd May, 2007, 08:26 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Hi all,

A sad state of affairs indeed, but no news on any wires, the Taiwan Stock Exchange included.

A few reports I have seen of bounced cheques on ECS and another supplier for some sums of money.

In my feeling something went wrong after NF4 and i915. At that point there was an oppurtunity to go head to head with DFI on feature set and being more liberal with voltages.

Unfortunately no one is going to survive selling enthusiast product alone and now I think even DFI sees itself in a difficult way - IPC is its best business model I think.

ABit got bought up by a large EMS, Chaintech by Walton, Soyo vanished into plastics. Biostar grasped at the SI market, and Jetway - not sure what is happening there! Tier 1 remains strong, ASUS manufacture most things you see - Apple iMacs et al, Gigabyte have ties with Fujitsu and others, MSI with all manner of vendors, and ECS pop up where you would never expect.

You wont last 5 minutes in this game of IT hardware now as a R&D, sales and marketing operation - you have to be a full concern - manufacturing mainly and designing and selling as secondary. Use your excess capacity to manufacture for those marketing alone companies.

Foxconn even though not classed as one of the big four (anyone have an ipod, PS3 or Sony Ericsson telephone) put a lot of pressure on the tier 2 mainboard market - as a result a lot of mainboard firms are going.

Its gonna be tier 1 alone plus Foxconn soon.

ASUS have amazing product, Gigabyte too, MSI and ECS make things in wacky colours admittedly - foxconn will continue to seemedly kill the channel.

Where does Universal ABit, Jetway, Biostar etc belong with this ?

Remember we are in a market place where the majority of mainboards need to be less than $45 US!!!!

I now work in LCD's for a huge firm but know the pressures we face too - its good that we do manufacture.

Hoping all of my esteemed friends in this board and elsewhere the very best.

Andrew