AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th September, 2007, 08:02 PM

8RDA6 +Pro updates to make

I have an Epox 8RDA6 +Pro. It is installed as delivered. I have never updated firmware, software or utilities. I could not risk scrweing up the machine up as I was doing some critical work on it. I have never used SATA or the raid functions.

I would now like to get it current and use SATA and raid.

Could someone please tell me what I should update and identify a release level for each item. As I recollect there were releases of some things that were bad, and I want to avoid them.
Old 5th September, 2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternety View Post
I have an Epox 8RDA6 +Pro. It is installed as delivered. I have never updated firmware, software or utilities. I could not risk scrweing up the machine up as I was doing some critical work on it. I have never used SATA or the raid functions.

I would now like to get it current and use SATA and raid.

Could someone please tell me what I should update and identify a release level for each item. As I recollect there were releases of some things that were bad, and I want to avoid them.
You probably mean Merlins modded bios. If full system integrity is a priority for you, you should indeed avoid it. It is also unsupported so you'll never find it through official channels.

There are however newer bios releases although the later shipped boards came with a pretty recent version. Somewhere on the corner where your PCI slots are and a winbond chip you'll find your board revision. If it states v1.4 it's certainly okay to just keep your current bios version, the firmware. During bootup you can also read which version and which datestamp your bios version has. Compare it to the one on the site of Supox China you'll get a better idea. Epox itself has gone up in smoke and Supox appears to be at least hosting the files, I don't read Chinese

For chipset drivers you can update them to this version here.
I suggest you don't install the firewall support embedded in the ethernet driver, I've never found it to work as it should.

SATA should just work like an IDE drive does. Plug in power and data cable and it works.
In terms of RAID, I don't know how familiar you are with that. I'll quickly summarise.

RAID level 0 spans preferably identical drives together as one drive with theoretically all storage space available. It splits the data and spreads it equally on the drives. This increases performance significantly in terms of both reading and writing. However loose 1 drive and you loose it all.
RAID level 1 is a drive mirror. It writes each file on all disks but you also get the storage capacity of 1 drive.
RAID level 0+1 is a combo of both previous levels.
Or you could just use the extra available SATA connectors to just add more drives.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2007, 04:08 AM

Thanks. That was just what I needed.

I can't download the N-vidia drivers. My java is screwed up. I think it may be because I just allowed Sun to update and it never removes old stuff. I am waiting to get enough disk space to do an image backup before I mess with it.

The reason I mentioned raid was that I thought that there was a driver for the built in controller that was outside the n-vidia releases.
Old 6th September, 2007, 09:21 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The download mechanism on nVidia's site doesn't require any Java at all. However, you do need JavaScript enabled. JavaScript has no reliance on Java, despite the apparent similarity in names. If JavaScript is disabled in your browser, then the nVidia downloads won't work.
Old 6th September, 2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That was just what I needed.

I can't download the N-vidia drivers. My java is screwed up. I think it may be because I just allowed Sun to update and it never removes old stuff. I am waiting to get enough disk space to do an image backup before I mess with it.

The reason I mentioned raid was that I thought that there was a driver for the built in controller that was outside the n-vidia releases.
The 8RDA6+Pro has two RAID controllers. One is the NVRAID which is embedded in the southbridge, the other is a SI3112 RAID controller. Both of those drivers are in the unified drivers I mentioned earlier. The NVRAID however will bring the best performance, although only marginal. Both are still entirely depending on the PCI bus.

Here's an alternate download link:
nForce v5.10 - WHQL Official download [Guru of 3D]

These drivers are standard issue so you'll probably be able to find them on a whole bunch of servers.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2007, 05:53 PM

I meant javascript. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't. It is turned on.

I have been researching the motherboard on the net to better iunderstand what is in there. When I bought it I just stuck it in the box and ran it. I am now going to use more features.

Last night I found this thread Nforce Unified Remix 11.16 2K/XP and XP64 and am going to read it later.

I also saw one remark about drivers stating that this board is actually an n-force 3 even though the documentation is clear about it being n-force 2. Any idea if this has any truth to it? If true, the person claimed you can use later versions of drivers. He implied that the 2/3 boundary was a basic change point in drivers.

There seems to be enough about drivers and permutations out there to make my head hurt. Please don't take this as my dismissing or not appreciating the links you have provided. I am just poking around.
Old 6th September, 2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I meant javascript. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't. It is turned on.

I have been researching the motherboard on the net to better iunderstand what is in there. When I bought it I just stuck it in the box and ran it. I am now going to use more features.

Last night I found this thread Nforce Unified Remix 11.16 2K/XP and XP64 and am going to read it later.

I also saw one remark about drivers stating that this board is actually an n-force 3 even though the documentation is clear about it being n-force 2. Any idea if this has any truth to it? If true, the person claimed you can use later versions of drivers. He implied that the 2/3 boundary was a basic change point in drivers.

There seems to be enough about drivers and permutations out there to make my head hurt. Please don't take this as my dismissing or not appreciating the links you have provided. I am just poking around.
Our board is not an nforce3 board. Only the southbridge looks like it because it has similar features, however the northbridge is a regular Nforce2 ultra 400 chip with memory controller. Starting from nforce3 the AMD processors have the memory controller onboard.
The drivers you are referring to look pretty good. Do try and do post your results, I'll give that a shot too
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 10th September, 2007, 01:33 PM

Well I can't say I'm impressed much on this driver remix. I had to use a different NIC driver, the other one wouldn't install. Not even after removing all traces of chipset drivers. The regular 5.10 drivers do their job reasonably well. I don't see a specific reason to choose the remix.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 10th September, 2007, 05:51 PM

Thanks Wolf. I appreciate the feedback. I have been waiting for a number of upgrades I ordered before trying anything. I appreciate the feedback.

I just took my PC apart and moved some drives around. I put in a little rack for 3 SATA drives. I am going to stick one in today and do an image backup before I start fooling with things.

My router broke a few weeks ago and I got a cheap Trendnet. It is behaving oddly. I can't get it to accept current date/time and it does not seem to be playing nicely with my modem. After the PC is off I have to power off the router just to get it to talk to the ISP. Still pursuing that.

And I have to read a whole bunch of background information on zoning and area planning. I am running for a position on a planning committee and there is a dog and pony tomorrow for voters to meet the candidates.