AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2007, 09:32 AM

epx 8rda+ froze and will not boot posting code 25

hello every1 this is quite a long post so if u cba to read, dont =P.

i have a crisis situation with my PC here... and i will try to give thorough explanation on what happened.

yesterday i was playing WoW and listening to music in winamp as i usually do... after 10 minutes of playing, all of a sudden my PC froze (the song was looped in a cca 0,5 sec interval) and monitor went off (was hearing a "soft clicking" sound out of it).. the PC did not respond to shut down button, but it responded to reset button so i reset it and it will not boot anymore, without any sound from sys speaker, and the hdd led being lit constantly.

i put the mb out of the tower, put it on the table with only graphics card and 1 RAM module in slot 1 and observed what codes are being cycled on the 8-segment display. it starts with C1h then goes to C3h (i am not sure if that is correct line up of codes, might be C2h in between) and here it freezes, shows POST code 25 and does not move further.. also the board does not make any beeps while trying to boot.

here are the things i tried so far:
cleared BIOS - no help
cycled 1 RAM module through memory slots, then the other - no help
removed RAM and tried to boot, then it stuck at C1h and started making beeps, but i cannot boot like that

here are the components that i use:

cpu AMD athlon Xp 64 3000+ s.754
2x512 MB Kingmax PC3200 RAM modules
chieftec GPS-500AB-A PSU
club3D radeon x1950Pro gfx card
2 SATA hdd drives (wd raptor 37GB and some other WD 160GB)
2 IDE optical devices (one pioneer 112d DvD-RW, and one TEAC CD-RW)
monitor is hyundai 19˝CRT
any help or suggestion is welcome.

ty in advance

edit: ahh, it is not 8rda+ board, it is 8KDA3+ sorry for wrong info, i am writing this from work

Last edited by dragecvragec; 20th September, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2007, 12:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Do you have a pci video card to try?

EDIT:
After looking around. Might need to do a hard clear of the cmos. Disconnect power, remove battery and short clear cmos jumper and leave the way for some time.

Another thing to try is set halt on no errors in the bios. That way if it misses something during the boot up, it will not hang.

These are a couple of things I found.

Last edited by Samuknow; 20th September, 2007 at 12:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2007, 02:02 PM

Unfortunately i dont have PCI video card to try.. i will try with another VGA card and also with some different RAM modules later when i come home.

i cannot enter the BIOS because when i plugged my old 15" monitor into graphics card, there was no picture on it when i powered up (it did not come out of standby)
Old 20th September, 2007, 02:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If you have another graphics card, that'd be a good thing to try.

You can try without a graphics card, just to see if the port 80 LED gets beyond 25. If it does, it suggests there might be a problem with the graphics card somewhere along the way.
Old 20th September, 2007, 02:38 PM

i'll try without gfx card first..

ty for advice
Old 21st September, 2007, 06:59 AM

hello again.. here are the news.

i put out the gfx card, and booted the system.. it passed the C3h code and after few more codes it stopped at 7Fh code.

so i went to my friends place and put my gfx card into his PC, and it did not boot. so it is the gfx card that is malfunctioning. luckily it is under warranty =))

only thing i'm affraid that the gfx fried my monitor too, well we'll see that soon.

thanx for the help.. you gave me some fresh ideas
cheers
Old 21st September, 2007, 10:03 AM

I /think/ (but I can't confirm) that the 25 code may mean "about to initialise graphics card".
Old 21st September, 2007, 12:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

That is kind of what I found. Why is it that the Epox code definitions are are so had to decode?
Old 21st September, 2007, 01:04 PM

I think they're actually (award?) standard codes. Award define 25 as 'reserverd', meaning no-one bothered updating the code list I suspect.
Old 21st September, 2007, 01:50 PM

i also beleive that codes 25 and 26 have to do something with graphics card.

just to say that when i removed graphics card and observed the codes on display, when it passed the C3 code, it went to code 25, then 26, then back to 25 and then some others (4something, 6something) then again code 25 and then some 7something codes untill it stopped at 7F