AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th September, 2007, 02:15 PM

PCI slots not working on a EP-AD580XR please help

good mornin all i have a epox optimas AD-580XR- first of all i notice that the international site is down and also epox out of business. i am running vista 32 home premium.. and every time i put the sound blaster audugy 2 into any pci slot on the board vista dose nothing .. wont req..the card..or any other card for that matter..is there something i missed.. i am at my witts end.. all help would be appreciated...also on this board the drivers that came with it.. dont seem to be copatible with vista 32.. thunder probe dose not work...and the pins next to the cpu..theres a cap on them..remove the cap and there now is a 8 pin plug? this is confuseing help please
Old 24th September, 2007, 03:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

So you install the card, power up the rig and nothing happens? I am not sure how Vista work as far as PNP. Do you usually get a prompt that hardware has been detected?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2007, 04:30 PM

yes i do get a prompt when all other hardware has been detected.. evey thing i put in the pci slots just dont seem to be working... specs amd 6000+ processor..2600XT 512 vid card . sata2 hd...sata DVD..

Last edited by Foxxman; 24th September, 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2007, 04:46 PM

Set everything to default in the BIOS. You may have changed something related to the PCI IRQ settings.
Old 24th September, 2007, 04:57 PM

i did that and it still wont see anything...i put the card in and nothing is seen card wooks fine in winxp just took it out.... i even tried a pci vid card in the slot vista still dose no see it.....what in the world is going on.. the board seems to be fine just the pci slots not working?

Last edited by Foxxman; 24th September, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 24th September, 2007, 05:10 PM

all replys are ap preciated
Old 24th September, 2007, 05:13 PM

Any jumpers on the board that control anything like this? This is a stumper. The fact that Epox does not exist anymore does not help.
Old 24th September, 2007, 05:22 PM

tell me about it i know it must be somthing simple.. i looked on the board and in the book there are no jumpers.. i thought it might be the chipset drivers but thats not it i even got another power supply ..removed the caps on the 4 pin plug for/ the cpu/pcie to expose the 8 plugs. pluged in all 8 plugs still the pci slots do not work the board . the board says it is fine accordin to the led lights on the board.

Last edited by Foxxman; 24th September, 2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 24th September, 2007, 07:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I suspect it may be related to you possibly not having the right chipset drivers loaded under Vista. I believe that board uses the AMD 580X chipset? If so, have you tried downloading the latest drivers from AMD?
Old 24th September, 2007, 07:36 PM

are the chipset and the vga drivers all in one if so yes i have .. the new 7.9 catalist drivers
Old 24th September, 2007, 07:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

No, the Catalyst drivers are only for the video card. The chipset drivers are what allow you to properly access the services provided by the chipset, such as USB, SATA, IDE, Serial, Parallel, and PS/2 ports, and, oh yeah, the PCI slots. If you haven't got the proper chipset drivers loaded, then some or all of these devices may not work right (or at all).

The only reason I suggest this is because in your first post you mentioned that you weren't able to load the drivers that came with your mobo under Vista. This implies you are running on whatever default drivers Vista was able to load, and thus you may not have completely functioning hardware yet.

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th September, 2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 24th September, 2007, 07:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Whoops. Looks like I was mistaken. It would appear that the Catalyst drivers DO also provide chipset support.

I assume you were logged in as Administrator when you installed the drivers?

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th September, 2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 24th September, 2007, 08:01 PM

yes i was
Old 24th September, 2007, 08:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, as I see it you have the following possibilities:
  • The sound card is hosed. Since you say it works under XP, that doesn't seem too likely.
  • Something is wrong with the mobo. Possible, but I'm not convinced that something which would take out the PCI slots wouldn't also take out something else that would be pretty noticable.
  • Drivers not properly loaded in Windows.
  • Some obscure setting in the BIOS.

Now, I've never seen your mobo in my life, so I'm just going on guesswork here.

I've seen a reference on the web to having to install Vista with a command-line switch or something to that effect in order to enable the PCI slots, but I've not been able to track down anything specific.
Old 24th September, 2007, 08:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Try this:

Boot into Safe Mode and type this in the command prompt. You have to be in %SystemRoot%\System32 when you do. Usually, that will be C:\Windows\System32

bcdedit /set CONFIGACCESSPOLICY DISALLOWMMCONFIG

See if that solves your problem.

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th September, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 25th September, 2007, 01:22 AM

Thumbs up

Okay let me tell you all about a little furry miracle named Gizmo that did the trick i now have active pci slots..Thank you thank you thank you....
Old 25th September, 2007, 03:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad I could help, dude.
Old 25th September, 2007, 04:00 AM

Cool deal. He is the man...
Old 25th September, 2007, 11:15 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Wow - that's friendly... Why do you need to change the boot options to get PCI working for this board under Vista?

CONFIGACCESSPOLICY only has two settings - DEFAULT and DISALLOWMMCONFIG. What do these do?
Old 25th September, 2007, 04:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I can't really find any reference to what they actually do. Microsoft's famously helpful docs only indicate that those are the two values for that setting.

It appears to have something to do with a buggy BIOS; there are quite a number of boards out there from EPoX and other vendors (such as ASUS) that have experienced the same problem, and that was the fix.

If he ever updates the BIOS on that board, he may find it necessary to set that value back to DEFAULT (assuming the bug in the BIOS which is causing the problem gets fixed).