AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October, 2007, 04:20 AM

8KRAI pro mobo issues

I'm not sure if anyone can help me out, but I'm at my wit's end here. I've got an old Epox 8K RAI Pro socket A motherboard that has served me well for a while now. I just upgraded the processor and increased the clock from the standard 100 to 166 for the 333 fsb.

of course, this led to instability with my video card and I researched and went back to change my bios setting for "async agp clk" from disabled to 66.6.

Problem solved right? Well, it seemed that way, except the next day my system is acting flakey again. I'm poking around in the bios to see if I missed something, and I notice async agp clk is again set to disabled. I test it out, and it looks like it is only staying enabled until the power is cut. All other bios settings save properly, but this one will not stay selected.

I'm running the abovementioned board, which I believe is same as the KT880 chipset, went from an athlon xp 1600 to 2600, a gig of kingston ram, and a geforce 5950. Not exactly a blazing machine, but it plays half life 2 and is my workhorse till I finish with grad school. Of course, right now it's not that stable, and if i drop the fsb back down, the new processor is slower than my old one.

I tried flashing the bios with stuff I got from the epox site and with the built in bios flash utility. I got both to run successfully, but when the system booted afterwards, it still said version 1.0.0.0. I got the magic bios utility and it informed me that i have the 'last bios' available for my board.

So, someone please tell me I'm just a n00b and that I'm overlooking an easy fix? I'd love to have my system stable so I can get back to fiddling with ubuntu, writing, and playing games while drinking....

-envygreen
Old 8th October, 2007, 06:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but have you looked at your mobo to see if you have any capacitors that are bulging or have brown stuff around them on the mobo?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th October, 2007, 06:13 PM

visually inspected board and gave it the 'sniff test'. no smell of shorts/burns and nothing visually defective. i speed-read a bunch of forums over the weekend and remember vaguely someone saying another epox board had this async agp option but it being an unsupported function for the board, just an option in the bios.

i suppose i can limp along as is, just would prefer to get it in peak condition if at all possible. it's just not in the cards for me to build a new system right now. :P
Old 12th October, 2007, 12:31 PM

Epox as a manufacturer has kicked the bucked, but some other blokes from Epox started a new company called Supox. They have listed their older bios updates on the Supox China site. You won't be able to read much unless you can read Chinese but the dates on the bios versions are good. I suggest you check with your board to see if you have the newest bios.

SUPoX China

For the buldging or leaking caps, make sure you really check your board thoroughly. They look like this:

http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/ima...ted_caps_2.jpg

Your caps should have a completely flat top, if they're pointy you have your problem right there. And in their beginning buldging state you won't smell anything and you need to look really carefully.

With VIA chipsets you don't have an AGP-PCI bus frequency lock, as you already noticed. Usually there are also dividers for use with FSB-AGP-PCI frequencies.
The calculation goes like this:
Assuming you set an FSB of 166Mhz you'll need to set the PCI divider to 5, the AGP divider will be set at 2 (2xPCI) and the FSB divider to 1. So 5:2:1. 166/5 = 33Mhz PCI.

Also disable Fast Writes in the bios and first revert to optimal defaults.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2007, 02:24 AM

thanks for the information, especially about the supox site.

I checked and have found no settings for dividers. I did however do a little research on the setting for:
AGP Driving Control
and
AGP Driving Value

I've currently set the value to A8h, and we're going to see how that works. I'm still getting some strange flickers so I might try some other hex values. But it's not completely unstable anymore.