AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2002, 10:31 AM

Unhappy 8KHA+ no boot: codes 05, 0d, 41

Long story try to cope with it

Yesterday I unlocked my Athlon Xp 1700+. Everything seemed fine, multipliers worked OK etc so I decided to go on clocking. After various tries I found out that the board and the whole system run just fine and solid @ 174 mhz x 9 (with vcore @ 1.85 and vdimm @ 2.90), only the soundcard's sound was a bit corrupted, but that's normal with SB 128 @ high fsb

Then I moved on to playing some UT with my clanmates, thus I lowered the bus to 143 and set multiplier to default 11, thus returning to the configuration that had been stable for months.

After this session the problems started. I rebooted the computer in order to benchmark it a bit and went to BIOS. I set the multiplier to 9 and the fsb to 170(though the board would boot nicely at 174, too) and upped the voltages to 1.85 for vcore and 2.90 for vdimm, just like earlier that day but then it sturk me like 230 V AC to the back of your head (oh yeah, it did feel the same). The mobo went a couple of times through memory test but wouldn't go further from the first screen. So I hit reset - the same.

Next time I booted with insert pressed - blank screen. Gave me codes:

05 - then
0d - *biiiib*-*bib*-*biiiib* sounds
41 - slow paced ambulance sound and the boot wouldn't go further

Tried clearing cmos, took the battery off overnight - the same.

Then unplugged everything and added cards one by one - always the same.

Then took out the CPU - no visible damage in it. Removed the silver lacquer from L1 bridges - the same.

There is a strange effect if you unplug the floppy drive cable or put in a diskette:

If unplugged, gives faster and higher-pitched ambulance sound

If it has a diskette in, it goes past 41 and jams to FF code

This can't be:

1. a cooling issue, 20 degrees celsius water flowing through mirror finished copper block with transparent film of silver thermal paste in between and it makes good contact with the cpu. The core isn't broken either (using a shim designed for Xp, non-conductive)

2. a power issue, has been fully stable on my 400 watt antec

So what is broken or is it corrupted BIOS data or what? Any way to fix it?

I can possible get my mate's 1.2 GHz duron on moday to try with but I would highly appreciate to find out what's wrong with it without risking another cpu.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Purity; 6th April, 2002 at 10:33 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2002, 01:23 PM

What do these error codes 0d and 41 actually stand for, btw?

Once again, if I had a kingdom I'd exchange it for good pieces of advice
Old 6th April, 2002, 02:53 PM

Cool

basic boot codes are in the manual, others are at the website.

it does sound like your board, i had to get two before i got one that worked.

disconnect the harddrive and see if you get the first post screen, all you can access would be the bios at this time, but just the fact it booted would indicate a harddrive problem.

just some thoughts.

was the sucka moved for the gaming? If so, maybe the mb settled to a minor short or something. if all fails, try booting the system with the motherboard out of the case, just to eliminate the short possibility.

baldy

Last edited by bldegle2; 6th April, 2002 at 02:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2002, 03:00 PM

No, I didn't physically touch any part of the system before the problem and I have tried booting without hard drives etc, took out all hardware and added them one by one to the board - every time the same result.
Old 7th April, 2002, 05:54 AM

might be bios....

try the epox automatic bios restore from boot disk... I don't know much about it but i read somewhere that even if the flash bios is the epox mboards can sometimes manage a automatic reflash from a floppy disk....
Old 7th April, 2002, 12:45 PM

woohoo, the bios reflashfrom bootdisk did it running fine now again
Old 24th August, 2002, 04:16 PM

This is not a reply as much as a ?. While reflasing the bios on my 8kha+ yesterday, the screen went blank and the sys. rebooted less than 1/2 thru. Now I get a41 post code and it hangs there.Can anyone tell me what is this Epox bios restore util., where to get it, and did I misunderstand the orignal post;I.E. Does this work even if you can get into the bios??? Any replies/help/thoughts GREATLY appreciated.
Old 24th August, 2002, 04:20 PM

41 canindicate a corrupted bios, or possibly component faliure.

As this is overclocking related then a corrupt bios is a possibility.

Try hot flashing in another board.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 24th August, 2002, 04:31 PM

Holst, thanx for the quick reply; have read many of your posts lurking around the forum. I knew the meaning of the 41, can you describe the hot flash method in more detail. Have heard it mentenioned, but do not know how to do it. thanx.
Old 24th August, 2002, 05:04 PM

You need another motherboard.

Boot the working board into DOS and remove the bios chip from that board. Replace with the suspected damaged chip and use awdflash to force flash to 8kha+ bios.

Turn off and replace the bios chips to the correct boards.

Its not an ideal method as you have to swap chips on a live board.

You should be able to find the string for force flashing with awd flash with the search function.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 24th August, 2002, 06:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Max193 Send a message via Yahoo to Max193

0D and 41 are reserved codes (blanks)
05 indicates a video problem (screen blank)
your beep code is nuts - makes no sense

Looks like you killed the CPU or mobo :-(