AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th October, 2007, 11:04 PM

RAM for 8K5A3+

My apologies if this seems stupid, but "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".....

I would like to put this old-timer back into use (with it's Athlon 64 1800+ and two 256MB sticks of PC2100 memory).

I have a surplus 256MB PC3200 that I could add.
A) Would the mobo accept it? The spec. said PC1600 - PC2700, but then that was the fastest available at the time
B) Would it run added to the PC2100 sticks?
C) Is it worth doing?
D) What I'm hoping for is the effect of 768MB of PC2100 (I suppose the PC3200 would run at the PC2100 speed?) - and a home for the PC3200.
Old 30th October, 2007, 01:08 PM

In case it helps anyone else - I found my answers in a Memory Maker's website FAQs - so, hopefully, I should be OK.

QUOTE "DDR memory was designed to be backward compatible so generally speaking, you can safely add faster memory to your computer. For example, you can install a PC3200 DDR module in a computer that calls for PC2700 DDR. However, keep in mind that faster memory will not necessarily make your system faster. You can't speed up your computer by adding faster memory if other components in your computer (your processor or other memory modules) operate at a slower speed".

Their homepage has a couple of useful tools if you don't know your mobo details, regardless of whose brand you use. They nailed my present PC right away. It is a shame not to give them credit for all the help, but I would not want to run foul of any Forum rules - you can try them all, until Bingo!

Cheers