AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th April, 2002, 10:24 AM

Newest BIOS caused shutdown to stop working. Old bios fixed it again.

Just a note to all you who have similar problem with the latest KHA+ BIOS. I flashed the older BIOS back and shutdown (in WinXP) started working again.

How can this kind of crap get through with official BIOS releases?
Old 11th April, 2002, 10:36 AM
EPoX Tech

Thankyou very much for the explicit detail and abusive language which will surely not get you any sensible answers.
Old 11th April, 2002, 07:53 PM

i'll give you a sensible answer
Answer: Stick to your old bios.
Old 12th April, 2002, 07:25 AM

Oooooops, sorry about that last sentence. I ment "crap" as "an unwanted new feature", no offence intended And indeed, the older bios set things right for me again.
Old 12th April, 2002, 10:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Malakai Send a message via AIM to Malakai

epox tech, besides the impolite language, this is a real problem to a lot of us.
I LOVE the bios, but u cant always warm boot. it performs so well, but refuses to reboot sometimes. im back to 2116 now, are u guys going to be realeasing some new beta's for us??
i hope you all havent forgotten about us 8KHA+'ers
j/k
-Malakai
2x256mb crucialDDR@2-2-2/6-2T
geforce3 Ti200 "GS"@240/550
antecSX1040bw/400w PSU
-winXPpro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2002, 10:17 AM

Back to the old times when i had a Epox 7kxa ... new bios almost every week untill a new model came out, and then completely forgotten.... i hope i´m wrong.. i traded Epox for Asus because of this at that time, then i came back to Epox ... but now i don´t know anymore... And don´t tell me that this happens with every manufacturer because Asus is still releasing bios for my old A7V133.
Old 12th April, 2002, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Thankyou very much for the explicit detail
What details you have in mind? Here is my PC setup if that helps:

- Epox KHA+
- Athlon 1700+ not overclocked
- 256Mb Crucial DDR PC2100
- Asus Geforce 256 DDR
- SB Live! value
- 30Gb IBM 7200rpm
- 3Com 10/100 NIC
- Billion PCI ISDN adapter
- LG 40/24/10 CD-RW
- Unknown floppy drive
- Antec 350W case+PSU
- Okipage 4w ledprinter (not working either, another thread on that one, still no solution found)

And I didn't find my language _that_ "abusive"... seen worse...
Old 12th April, 2002, 04:55 PM

Question

Well I am using the 2314 bios and have no problems with startup or shutdown or rebooting.
Sounds maybe you have a corrupted file or something.
You may want to download it again. That is if you really want to use it. If you were having problems with the earler bios if not why did you want to change? If you just want the latest, that is a different story. Just download it again and be sure you have a clean boot disk when flashing the bios next time.
The great majority of users have no problems with the 2314 bios. Just my 2c worth.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2002, 05:16 PM
Banned

Another $0.02 (we need to get a penny jar for this thread )...

I certainly can't say I know thing 1 about programming a bios and/or chipset interworkings, but I do know troubleshooting and if there's a common issue among several people while others experience no problems at all, then it's likely a conflict with a piece of hardware common to those being affected.

It's likely Epox is NOT at fault because its impossible to test every possible hardware configuration with their motherboard prior to release (unless you like to wait 2 years between releases). It's a matter of math, time and common sense. Much of what's learned is after the fact, hence "bios updating". Updating is not always about expanding the component's compatability with future/new hardware, but resolving issues with current hardware. What's offered here is an avenue to help speed up that process between issue and solution. Epox tech's frustration is likely along the lines of needing that information in order to really be of service.
Old 12th April, 2002, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BobyJo
Well I am using the 2314 bios and have no problems with startup or shutdown or rebooting.
What version of Windoze are you running right now BobyJo?
I'm running Win2K with 2314 and all are fine, except the S3 mode that were suppose to solve. My sound becoming some sort like a flanging type on 2314, but with 2116 it's worst it's totally distorted after recovering from S3 mode. I'm using Sound Blaster DE 5.1.
For WinXP maybe there's a bug in it cause its still new and not all old software are compatible with it like Microsoft claim it to be.
Old 12th April, 2002, 07:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Malakai Send a message via AIM to Malakai

well guys, all i know is that about 8 people here and around 20 at amdmb, plus a couple on the o/c forums, all having this same problem. try updating the VIA drivers with the 2314 bios and see if it reboots correctly than
-Malakai
2x256mb crucialDDR@2-2-2/6-2T
geforce3 Ti200 "GS"@240/550
antecSX1040bw/400w PSU
-winXPpro
Old 12th April, 2002, 07:22 PM

Question

Well I am running W2000ProSP2 and the v4.38 via drivers.
These 6058 drivers gave me about 50 points higher in benchs over the 6043's.
I never had any problems with the 6043's nor the 9008's and up witn Win98se.
I switched to Win2000ProSP2 about 3-4 weeks ago.

I will again remind all persons that have the 8KHA+ or the 8K3A or + mobo's.
Go to amdmb.com/forums and read the thread by Muskin Rules on the setup of this board.
This is probably the best article I have ever looked at.
I had my system setup almost exactly like his article gives the example, but I was having a hard time in running the memory at turbo settings without locking up.

After reading this article, and making a few changes. I am running the system at max settings for memory etc.

No lockups reboots or anything. This will be of advantage to all of you.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 16th April, 2002, 08:55 AM

Thanks for some of the tips guys. A few comments on this subject.

Quote:
I think that is not the case, I flashed the bios twice to make sure.

Quote:
Epox tech's frustration is likely along the lines of needing that information in order to really be of service.
Gave all the information I could but he didn't seem to think I'm worth a reply anymore.

Quote:
try updating the VIA drivers with the 2314 bios and see if it reboots correctly than
Did that too, installed the latest 4in1. No help.

Quote:
Go to amdmb.com/forums and read the thread by Muskin Rules on the setup of this board.
You are right, that is an awesome artice. Many helpful tips there!

Reason I wanted to try newest bios is that my printer does not work with this board. There is another thread on this subject.
Well, the newest bios didn't make the printer work, so I reverted back to the older bios version. Now I am back at the starting point with PC that does shut down correctly but the printer still not working.
Old 16th April, 2002, 01:49 PM

Question

I am not aware of any printing problems with the 8KHA+ mobo's we have 2 of them.
We use Epson Photo Printers and they work great.
We sold one of them and networked the one printer to the other system.
This way we can use one printer and print what we want from either system.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 16th April, 2002, 02:15 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Do you have the correct mode for the parrallel port set in the BIOS? Your printer may require either ECP or EPP verison 1.9 which are not defaults in the BIOS.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 17th April, 2002, 12:37 PM

Yes, tried ECP+EPP modes 1.7 and 1.9. Still reboots.

Maybe I install Win98 to another partition and check if it still reboots, if it does, it is definately an Epox board problem. If not, it is either WinXP, drivers or both.

Printer can not be faulty because it works with my older PC.
Old 17th April, 2002, 01:11 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahakurki
Yes, tried ECP+EPP modes 1.7 and 1.9. Still reboots.

Maybe I install Win98 to another partition and check if it still reboots, if it does, it is definately an Epox board problem. If not, it is either WinXP, drivers or both.

Printer can not be faulty because it works with my older PC.
Do you mean that it reboots once it starts printing? This is symptomatic of too high an overclock. What's your CPU running at?

AOA Team fah

Old 17th April, 2002, 07:30 PM

Yes, it reboots right after I press the print button and it starts to print. This happens in any application: test page, MS Word, notepad whatever. No errors or nothing, just reboots.

I don't overclock at all. That was the first thing I checked when I installed the printer. Otherwise all settings in bios are in fastest mode setup by Mushkin Rules guide in amdmb forum.
Old 17th April, 2002, 07:49 PM
AOA Staff

Try running Prime 95. If that also causes your rig to reboot, then the most likely cause is that your CPU and or memory are not getting enough power. Printing is momentarily CPU intensive and that may be why you're getting the reboots.

AOA Team fah

Old 7th May, 2002, 08:20 AM

Just shaking this old thread up a bit I got tired of the matter and left it be for a while. Now I'm back trying to solve this.

So, I'm still struggling with my Okipage 4w printer. So far I have conducted a few tests. I installed Windows 98SE to another hard drive for this exact same setup and printer works fine. No reboots.

Then I completely reinstalled Windows XP to a clean partition, installed all the critical updates from windowsupdate, installed Oki drivers. I tried to print and I got a BSOD (blue screen of death) with a Stop 0x0000007F UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.

Next I formatted the partition again and installed Windows 2000 Pro. I get the same BSOD again.

So, with Win98SE the printer works but with windowses XP and 2000 printing causes a BSOD.

I searched microsoft support site for help on this stop error and it suggests that memory corruption, other hardware problems, or software failures can cause this error. Since I don't overclock and my memory is quality branch Crucial DDR I wonder where the fault might be? Everything else runs fine, no heat problems etc.

I still haven't run Prime95 to stresstest the stability but I will do it as soon as I find the program (a link anyone?).

I think I also try setting my memory timings one notch slower in the BIOS. What about increasing CPU or RAM voltage?