AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th July, 2008, 08:20 AM

Trouble with SATA2 HDD on 8RDA3+

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on a problem I am having installing the new HDD I just purchased.

I have some troubleshooting skills and some aid from a buddy of mine but we are out of ideas.

First of all, here are the components:

New Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive

CPU: AMD Athlon 1800+
Board: EPOX 8RDA3+
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB IDE

The new 1T drive is detected when starting up but hangs at detection. There is an option to enter a RAID utility but this
does not work. From this screen all I can do is restart.

I am able to boot into XP again when restarting with the new drive unplugged.

I have updated the BIOS to the current version which I listed above hoping that this would alleviate the hang. This
obviously didn't work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 27th July, 2008, 01:03 PM

IF you are not running a RAID Config, then disable this in the bios so that screen doesn't come up.

IF you have your drive set to Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) in drive configurations, then it will not work in XP without the drivers.

You have to use the F6 option during the initial OS installation to install these drivers & have that config work.
In Vista you can do this after the fact but not with XP.

I have my Seagate Barracuda SATAII HD's set to IDE configuration in the bios.

NOTE: I've tested drive speeds and with AHCI & Native Command Queuing enabled & it was actually slower.
This option is good for Servers but not for a Home PC where you are looking to get the most performance.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 28th July, 2008 at 01:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th July, 2008, 08:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Can the older BIOS of this mainboard be a problem in this case?
Old 28th July, 2008, 12:33 AM

I figured it out after combing some other forums. Actually, you're all partially right. The Silicon Image SATA controller needed a BIOS update. But you can't just flash that BIOS only.

For future reference, if anyone else has this problem, the solution is as follows. As I can't add links in my post, I'll quote it:

" The solution? Basically, as described in the thread above, you (1)download the latest BIOS (from ASUS's web site), (2)download the latest SI BIOS separately Silicon Image - Delivering pure digital content everywhere), (3)patch the new SI BIOS into the ASUS BIOS, and (4)flash the result onto motherboard. I did it and now everything works perfectly! I used Winflash to do the flashing, BTW, since I don't have a floppy drive. "

It says ASUS, but you can insert Epox in there and still find the solution. Though since Epox doesn't have downloads on their site anymore, you'll have to scrounge around for their latest BIOS update.

Thanks for the help!
Old 28th July, 2008, 09:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, Bilbo766!
Glad that you figured out the problem, it's not an easy solution!
Old 11th January, 2009, 08:25 PM

Hi guys. Ihave the same issue,
Where can I find those Sata drive i have to load at the XP install? I cannot find them.
Thank you
Old 15th February, 2009, 09:57 PM

Sata

I've got issues with my Barracuda disk as well.
- XP installst a new driver. This driver produces bit failures!
- The S.M.A.R.T. information does not come through. There is no data if the drive is really ok.

So my idea was to use the latest SiL BIOS with my board. Unfortunately I have no idea how to path the SiL firmware into the latest mother board BIOS. The hint "patch the new SI BIOS into the ASUS BIOS" does not really help me.

Any idea how to do this?

Last edited by goenny; 15th February, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2009, 07:03 PM

I've got the same problem for allmost one year now with a 500 GB Seagate HDD on an EPOX 8RDA6+ Pro (SATA-controler in southbridge, separate raid-controler). While booting the BIOS stops "IDE-drive detecting". With Ctrl-Alt+Del it reboots and XP starts without problems (from another Raptor-HDD). In less than 1% I don't need to reboot. SMART in speedfan works. The raidcontroler is disabled.

Not perfect, but it works.