AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st March, 2012, 05:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

Finally retiring my Epox Nvidia Nforce 2 build and giving it to my parents

Finally retiring the first PC i built.. with an old Epox Nvidia Nforce2 + Athlon XP 2800 Barton OCed to a 3200+

For a while, I stopped folding with this rig, and mainly because it was having trouble multi tasking with folding and doing other tasks at the same time.. "mainly gaming"

I built this PC back in 2003, the motherboard went out and i replaced it with an epox.. and it is serving me well up until I couldn't play the titles I wanted too anymore.. "Starcraft 2" and upcoming title "Diablo3" the last thing this rig could handle that I played was "World of Warcraft" which i no longer play.

The breaks and repairs I had to do to thise whole rig:
Replaced:
1. Thermalright heatpipes BUSTED and leaked destroying both videocard and sound card. using OEM cooler FINALLY that i bought along with this build.
2. Replaced videocard with a fanless Radeon which I put under folding and ended up breaking after 2 months of 24/7 folding (Went back to nvidia as replacement Geforce 6200)
3. Western digital harddrive failure which was replaced with a seagate and is still in use today.
4. All the fans in this case was replaced multible times trying to find the perfect silent sound.

I would have stuck with this PC until the day a cap explodes on it, but the the case itself it was built into has to much of a resonance effect.. no matter how low i turn down the fans with a fan controller the sound is still there.

The PC's final resting place:
I will end up giving this PC to my parents so they can use on a 51 inch TV, it will basicaly be a mail checker and a youtube (streaming online video) mashine for my parents.

The final thing i have bought for this PC was a Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard set so that my parents can use this from any location in the living room.

This rig's replacement:
I was planning on just using a laptop for the rest of my life, but it seems like even in todays standard, laptops still cannot play videogames as well as desktops... I just recently bought a new laptop with a Radeon 6310 and it is asbolutely terrible at playing starcraft 2.

So the new rig:
ITX Lian Li (the smallest one with no external 5.25 and 3.5 bays.. basicaly a NAS case)
Mini ITX ASRock FM1 Socket
AMD A8-3870K (unlocked)
G.skill aries DDR3 1866 (8 gigs)
Tuniq TX-2 Thermal greese
Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken CPU heatsink
Corsair CX-500 Watt powersupply
SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240gig

Hoping to get the new rig here soon, and iam HOPING the install would be as smooth as my very first rig was.... I thought my old PC would last me for 10 years... but it made it for 9.. it came really close.
Old 31st March, 2012, 11:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

So the Mini-ITX board will accept two DIMM's? That's a very nice rig, hope it serves you well!
Old 2nd April, 2012, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
So the Mini-ITX board will accept two DIMM's? That's a very nice rig, hope it serves you well!
yeah. i hope it does as well, I was preparing the old athlon 2800 to give to my parents and it started locking up!!!!

it took me a few days to figure out but it looked like it was a video card problem and i just ended up down clocking it 50mhz, and now its fine.
Old 2nd April, 2012, 10:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Smart move, I was going to suggest that you un-overclock it, in the interest of longevity and reliability.