AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th October, 2001, 04:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

EP-8KHA+, AMD SocketA CPUs, and multipliers.

I have an EP-8KHA+ en route, and I am concerned about the long term usefulness of the product. Officially the board supports a 15x multiplier, but what happens when AMD cpu's exceed 2GHz? Either higher multipliers or higher system clocks will be needed. The board does offer FSBs in the 134-199 range, though these bus speeds are not guaranteed to be achievable with any stability.

How exactly is it that SocketA multipliers are set? Will BIOS updates allow higher multipliers? I don't think I am the only person concerned about this, so any information on the topic that you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I've got a funky feeling in my gut that says AMD will shaft us by implementing a 166MHz(333 in DDR talk) front side bus and a lower I/O voltage on the .13m parts to come.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 13th October, 2001 at 02:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2001, 06:43 AM
EPoX Tech

It will be interesting to see if the DDR 333 (2700) spec does hit us with the dot one three parts, however rest assured that the FID system within Palamino will allow for multipliers greater than 15 to force in the same way that Intel chips force multipliers above those in the BIOS.

It would not take too much effort to create greater multipliers in BIOS either.
Old 13th October, 2001, 07:43 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I'm glad to hear that. I'm really tempted to buy this board. All my concerns have been answered and I see that this board is sweet. Now if I only had a little more money

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2001, 07:03 AM
EPoX Tech

Please look at page 66 of the following document :

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/24309.pdf
Old 14th October, 2001, 08:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

So multipliers are set via "serial initialization packet"?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 14th October, 2001 at 08:08 PM.