AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2001, 09:52 PM

Epox Tech please help???

Here are my brothers specs for his new Machine...

Epox 8KHA
Hyundai 256Mb DDR 2100
AMD 1.4 Athlon C 266FSB
Creative G-force 3
Coolmaster approved HSF
Antec Server case with 400Watt PSU (model no: PP-412XF)

Just installing the bare minimum has described above ie

Epox 8KHA, memory, CPU, Graphics card and HSF the bios does not load, the bug display on the board is FF. After trying different things I eventually got around to testing the PSU. I changed the Antec 400 Watt with a 300Watt PSU. The board's bios loaded. Again I swapped the PSU and I again got the black screen, bios didnt load. I replaced the Antec with the 300WAtt and the board booted. Now what PSU do you recommend with this board because thus evening I tried it with my Sparkle 400WAtt and it too didnt boot the machine, my monitor remained black. I am quite worried since I am after purchasing a Epox 8KHA+ board and I cannot believe these boards are so senitive to the PSU's.

Please recommend a PSU for this mobo....

Also the jumper for FSB 133 is set properly.

Ok
Old 14th October, 2001, 11:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Hmm . . . interesting, I've heard about some of the EPoX boards with three-phase power having problems with the Enermax PSUs, but never the Antec parts . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2001, 06:01 AM
EPoX Tech

Re: Epox Tech please help???

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul.K
I am quite worried since I am after purchasing a Epox 8KHA+ board and I cannot believe these boards are so senitive to the PSU's.

Please recommend a PSU for this mobo....

Also the jumper for FSB 133 is set properly.

Ok
I cannot believe these boards are so sensitive to PSU's either - they aren't !!! Dependant upon the local supply of power, the efficiency of the power supply unit can be increased or decreased. Given that an AMD DDR 3-phase powered motherboard running a top-end Thunderbird at 266MHz FSB is the most power hungry single processor system in existence, a few things have to be taken into account.
[list=1][*]Always use a PSU appearing on the AMD listing for the specific processor (which you have)[*]Try to use a 350W minimum supply with at least 195W combined power.[*]Always power cooling fans from the PSU's 4 pin molex connectors rather than the 3-pin molex connectors on the mainboard[*]Ensure the board or PSU is not shorting anywhere and reducing power flow[/list=1]

I was surprised to see in your case that the ASntec and Sparkle were unable to power your planar. The Sparkle in particular is one of my personal favourites.

The 300W supply that you have may have had very strong current in the 5v rail area which is required for the split plane voltage of the CPU (the 3.3v supply is regulated down to 1.75v for VccCore and the 5v is supplied straight for the Vss)