AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th October, 2001, 04:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dom

new bios

I was reading some polls of people who switched to the new epox bios and noticed that 99% got much higher FSB overclocking numbers with it. How is that the bios can do so much for overclocking? I'm talking noticable differences too.
Old 15th October, 2001, 05:40 AM
EPoX Tech

Please state the model of your motherboard and also the set-up variables which you have chosen.
Old 15th October, 2001, 07:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dom

I haven't pushed mine to see where the limits are. I'm talking about alot of other people on other forums. They all got 8K7A or 8K7A+ ver1.0. All got higher FSB with just the BIOS switch. So I was wondering what did Epox put into the 10.12 bios that made it so good? I actually just downloaded it. I'll probably do a mild overclock to see how it holds up. I know the last one did 150 at least with no problems.

Anyway, the only set up variable that I can see affecting overclocking are the memory timings. I know alot of ppl, including myself run, 8-8-8-2-6-2-2. I'll double check that, but I'm positive that's what I have.
Old 16th October, 2001, 11:58 PM

Epox released a bios that apparently adds a 1/5 PCI divisor - about the only explanation as to how people can get past 166 without problems with peripherals. While AMD won't acknowledge the ability for a 1/5 divisor in its chipset, this seems the only explanation. So to answer your question - that's the reason. I run most of my boards at 175 with ram timings at 8882222 with corsair pc2400. Sisoft scores are roughly 935/1020.
Old 17th October, 2001, 09:10 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole
Epox released a bios that apparently adds a 1/5 PCI divisor - about the only explanation as to how people can get past 166 without problems with peripherals. While AMD won't acknowledge the ability for a 1/5 divisor in its chipset, this seems the only explanation. So to answer your question - that's the reason. I run most of my boards at 175 with ram timings at 8882222 with corsair pc2400. Sisoft scores are roughly 935/1020.
A clue - the ability to add dividers is nevermore located in the chipset, but the PLL and the BIOS implementation. We don't give too much away on these subjects however - we let you experiment and perhaps enjoy or not enjoy your findings.

The latest BIOS with Quantispeed support, EasyBoot and Magic Health is a marvel of BIOS engineering which I hope that everyone will enjoy. A lot of hard work went into it to procuce a BIOS which I hope whilst everyone will enjoy we can improve furthermore.