AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th June, 2002, 10:27 AM

Is 70 degree /C too much??

Is 70 degree /C idle too much on the cpu
I have XP1800+ and 8K3A
Will it shorten my lifetime of the cpu?
An Alpha heatsink is so damn expensive for me and i cant bare more noise

Svennen
Old 15th June, 2002, 12:26 PM

70C idle is crazy, and full load temps must be very close to meltdown for AMD chips?

I think you definately need to get some better cooling.
Old 15th June, 2002, 01:13 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What are you using for a heatsink? I think even a retail heatsink, properly installed should get better temps than that. If you are using the gummy TIM that comes with some heatsinks, scrape it off and use something better like arctic silver, and that should be worth a few degrees. Sounds like you may have installed it improperly. Also, good case cooling should help too. Are you using any case fans?

BTW, welcome to the forums.
Old 15th June, 2002, 02:11 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Hey Welcome home Svennen,
Yes 70 degrees idle is very high as you can tell. First thinkg I'd do is take off the side of your computer case and see if your temps drop quite abit. IF they do then you really need to work on better ventilation threw your case.

I'd still double check and see how you have your heat sync install, rememeber they go on TWO ways but ONLY ONE of them is correct. Also get some Artic Sliver 3 (I think AS2 is getting harder to find in stores) Take off the pad that came with the heat sync and clean the area WELL. You can use nail polish remover if you have some lying around, or just regular rubbing alcohol.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Happy clocking
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2002, 02:30 PM

It sounds like you have a bad contact with the core to me.

Sometimes some dust or hair can get between the CPU and heatsink stopping a propper contact.

Id definately do as the others say and clean off the thermal pad from the heatsink (and carefully around the top of the CPU core) and replace it with arctic silver.

Read the guide at www.arcticsilver.com

70*c isnt dangerous, but its very close.

I wouldt run any intensive games or applications untill you get that down a bit. Even if you just remove the case as a temporary measure.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2002, 02:41 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

yeah and when you get your temps down check into Folding @ Home for us.

Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 15th June, 2002, 02:51 PM

I have a Volcano 7 with just a 1500rpm Papst fan
Now with a case plate removed it's just 59 degree/C

What about that AMD spec's ,it says 90 degree's when it gets critical
And i have not noticed any freeze or reboot sympton's at all

Svennen
Old 15th June, 2002, 03:33 PM

One more thing to check is if you have a case that is AMD Recommended Spec. The power supply should be above the processor NOT covering it.

Old 15th June, 2002, 03:54 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by svennen

Svennen
It's your fan it's NOT spinning fast enough. You said volcano 7. One thing you can do is cut to thermistor off and connect the wires that were there. The should help drop your cpu temps.

Hope this helps
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 15th June, 2002, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svennen

Svennen
You can see that your case was too warm.

If your not planning on overclocking then that low speed CPU fan will be fine as long as you get a little more airflow through your case (or leave the side off permanently)

59*c is a high temperature if you want to overclock but its perfectly fin for running stock speed.

Id buy another couple of quiet fans and put one at the front of your case blowing in and one at the back blowing out. That coupled with some arctic silver on the CPU will give good temperatures and low noise.

Old 18th June, 2002, 02:20 PM

Hi just thought I would jump in at this stage.

Could anyone advice what "good" operating temperatures are?
I have not overclocked my system at all.

Details are as follows

8K3A, Athlon XP 1800 133x11.5 (Factory settings)
CPU Temp during "everyday use" 49oC
System Temp 29oC
CPU Fan Speed 4687

The case its nothing special, no addtional fan. The PSU is one from when an purchased an Athlon 600 in 1999. It was AMD approved at the time!

I have never seen the CPU temp exceed 49 degrees yet.
It takes around 10 minutes for system to get this temperature its normally around 35oC from a genuine *cold* boot.

Are these temps Ok?

Cheers,

-- Dano
Old 18th June, 2002, 02:28 PM

There are mixed opinions on whther to use software coolers, but I have been using the most recent beta cpuidle, idling at 27-28°
Old 18th June, 2002, 02:28 PM

looks ok to me
Old 18th June, 2002, 03:02 PM

Thanks... on with the clocking!
Old 18th June, 2002, 03:15 PM

When overclocking the general rule will be the lower the temperature the higher the overclock.

Idle temperatures are a poor measure of temperature, you should run a program such as toast or prime 95 for 30min to get a load temperature.

There is no point in having a overclock that runs fine in the desktop but cashes in a intensive game due to overheating.

If your not overcloking then id consider 70*c LOAD to be the maximum temperature its safe to run. Id prefer to be the right side of 60.

Old 18th June, 2002, 03:26 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I believe your mobo reads the on-die thermister built into XP CPUs. This will usually give a higher (and more accurate) reading of temps. It is very possible that you are seeing 59c, where another mobo might read it as 50c. Truth be told, if I saw 59c, I would be panicky and shut down to play it safe. I have a few rigs that are running mid to low 50c's, and they make me a little nervous.

Accuracy with these readings vary across different mobos. If you are stable, don't sweat it. Run some benchmark programs to check for stability when the room is warm. If it doesn't lock up, don't worry about it. If you are planning to overclock, or have stability issues, definitely add case fans, and doublecheck the install of the HSF. Good luck.
Old 18th June, 2002, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
I believe your mobo reads the on-die thermister built into XP CPUs. This will usually give a higher (and more accurate) reading of temps. It is very possible that you are seeing 59c, where another mobo might read it as 50c. Truth be told, if I saw 59c, I would be panicky and shut down to play it safe. I have a few rigs that are running mid to low 50c's, and they make me a little nervous.

Accuracy with these readings vary across different mobos. If you are stable, don't sweat it. Run some benchmark programs to check for stability when the room is warm. If it doesn't lock up, don't worry about it. If you are planning to overclock, or have stability issues, definitely add case fans, and doublecheck the install of the HSF. Good luck.
Yep the 8k3a+ reads the internal sensor. Ive found it to read approximately 10-15*c higher than a in socket diode.

So if im reading 60*c it would be closer to 45*c on the in socket diode.

I often see people using the in socket diode and claiming unfeasably low temperatures. The fact is that the in socket diode is so innacurate that its only usefull as a safety measure. To use it to compare your cooling solutions performance to anothers is folly.

Im not entirely sure of the accuracy of the XP internal diode either, i think its not unreasonable to assume that its also innacurate to some degree.

Old 18th June, 2002, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the replies... The only reason I was concerned was because I made a total **** up of the CPU installation 1st time round.

I simply stuck the heatsink & fan directly on top of a bare CPU.
A few days later a friend said.."you did use heat sink compound, right?" When I replied "No" he said how important it was.

When i removed the heat sink to put on thermal compound I lifted off some kind of pad that was protecting the CPU core!
Doh! I managed to replace it and did a good job of applying the compound and HSF second time round.

If these temps are normal it seems I got away with my slapstick style approach to PC building!

-- Dan
Old 19th June, 2002, 12:56 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

For me over 40c and i start worrying. But thats because im a freak up to 60 - 70 load is ok IF you are running stock speeds. overclocking, and 50c is the cut off point for safety most people would agree.

This is all for AMD, if anyone is interested, with Intel temperature is a lot less dangerous, a P4 will throttle back to stop damage, and a P3 or celeron will just shut down if it gets too warm! neither should really damage themselves due to heat.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 19th June, 2002, 01:13 PM

if u worry over 40c and ur reading off the internal diode, u must be one cooling freak! staying under 40c load reading off the internal diode must take some hellish cooling
| AXP 1600+ AROIA "Y" @ 1950MHz, 10x195 | EPoX 8K3A KT333, 2815 BIOS | 256MB Samsung PC2700 @ 195MHz, Cas2 | 64MB Abit Siluro Geforce4 Ti4200 @ 335/641 | D-Tek Spir@l | Via Aqua 1300 | Chevette Heatercore & Dual 120MM 64CFM YL-Tech's w/ Shrouds in Push-Pull | No V-mods |