AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th October, 2001, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Hehe, I don't think he needs to worry 'bout that one. Between EPoX Tech and all the other knoledgable folks around here, he is garenteed support. And he will most likely have a great OC to boot.
Support is what you need when you don't know what you're doing or you broke something. I do neither.
Old 18th October, 2001, 02:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Hey EPoX Tech,

Best I can get my board to do is 154FSB with all the memory setting set to "balls to da wall". I can post at 155-160, but win2K will not load. And it will not post beyond 160. I'm thinking it has to be my power supply, as I can't keep the 5v rail were it needs to be and it bounces all over the place. The fact that it will run 154 stable as a rock, and not even load windows at 155(no matter what memory settings are used) seems to also indecate a voltage problem to me.

What are your thoughts? I'm going to buy a better PSU regardless, but your thoughts are appreciated.

Think a VIO mod might help too?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:24 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

Support is what you need when you don't know what you're doing or you broke something. I do neither.
There is no need to offer quip to your forum friends, they are right in suggesting that you do need advice since a lot of your advice is perhaps a little off target.

If everyone accepts help that is correct, and then offers that help on to lots of others, this forum will be a great place for people to come for good advice.

This area here is for myself with the help of my colleagues to assist owners of EPoX products with a view to the forum area being a resource for all EPoX product owners to use it as a live resource.

Others instilling incorrect theory and quipping may only stand to harbour this effort.

Please do not take this as an adverse attack, as it is merely meant to serve as a marker by which we can all make the most of this service which we are offering and make these threads a most rich oasis of current and valid information.
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:26 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Hey EPoX Tech,

Best I can get my board to do is 154FSB with all the memory setting set to "balls to da wall". I can post at 155-160, but win2K will not load. And it will not post beyond 160. I'm thinking it has to be my power supply, as I can't keep the 5v rail were it needs to be and it bounces all over the place. The fact that it will run 154 stable as a rock, and not even load windows at 155(no matter what memory settings are used) seems to also indecate a voltage problem to me.

What are your thoughts? I'm going to buy a better PSU regardless, but your thoughts are appreciated.

Think a VIO mod might help too?
A better PSU would definatley help. I have the HEC power supply coming to test today. Would you belive that I was only using a 300W Deep supply for those tests above, otherwise I'd have broken 1600Mhz and 166Mhz FSB as I have done on numerous occasions before.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:36 AM
EPoX Tech

Remember guys that I'm only using 8KHA (on which the Clock Generator isn't so strong), so my 165MHz was hard fought.

Remember that you may have to drop the multiplier right down to begin with and use VDimm of anyhting upto 3volts to achieve that kind of speed.

8KHA+ has improved capacitation and Clock Generation to 8KHA and as such will surpass 166Mhz more easily.
Old 18th October, 2001, 06:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
8KHA+ has improved capacitation and Clock Generation to 8KHA and as such will surpass 166Mhz more easily.
Can you be specific as to how the capacitation(is that even a word?) was improved. For example was more capacitance added, were capacitor locations optimized, or what? I'll understand if you can't exactly say, but it would be nice to know.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2001, 06:52 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Can you be specific as to how the capacitation(is that even a word?) was improved. For example was more capacitance added, were capacitor locations optimized, or what? I'll understand if you can't exactly say, but it would be nice to know.
There were improvements made.
Old 18th October, 2001, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Please do not take this as an adverse attack, as it is merely meant to serve as a marker by which we can all make the most of this service which we are offering and make these threads a most rich oasis of current and valid information.
None taken. I admit I'm not Einstein.

I usually don't need "support" in the typical sense, as much as I need "advanced knowledge." Most manuals are enough to get me to where I need to be for the basics. It's just when I get to doing things more advanced than most home users do that I might need some backup. Which is why I'm glad these forums are here.

As for my answers not always being the right ones, all my knowledge has been gained through trial and error not actual schooling, which I hope to be able to fix before too long. So if I post something that doesn't seem right, it's only because I've tried it and it's worked for me. Not to say it's the right answer or a good one, but it's a hack job that I've gotten to work before.
Old 18th October, 2001, 03:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to WhoBeDaPlaya Send a message via AIM to WhoBeDaPlaya

Nice to hear talk of the KT266A. Funny, but other manufacturers (at the moment) seem to be more concerned with their Pentium IV products. Just got an ASUS P4B and an ECS P4IBA in house, and boy are those P4 processors expensive (well, relatively anyway ).

BTW : Is there any way I can correspond with you in private, EPoX Tech? TIA
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WhoBeDaPlaya
Nice to hear talk of the KT266A. Funny, but other manufacturers (at the moment) seem to be more concerned with their Pentium IV products. Just got an ASUS P4B and an ECS P4IBA in house, and boy are those P4 processors expensive (well, relatively anyway ).

BTW : Is there any way I can correspond with you in private, EPoX Tech? TIA
PIV = SUXXORZ!

I'm actually looking for more KT266A boards. I'm impressed that EPoX got theirs out so quickly after the new chip was announced. I think there's only EPoX and MSI, and maybe one other right now. But I'm also glad that the 8KHA+ seems to be such a cherry of a board.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

None taken. I admit I'm not Einstein.

I usually don't need "support" in the typical sense, as much as I need "advanced knowledge." Most manuals are enough to get me to where I need to be for the basics. It's just when I get to doing things more advanced than most home users do that I might need some backup. Which is why I'm glad these forums are here.

As for my answers not always being the right ones, all my knowledge has been gained through trial and error not actual schooling, which I hope to be able to fix before too long. So if I post something that doesn't seem right, it's only because I've tried it and it's worked for me. Not to say it's the right answer or a good one, but it's a hack job that I've gotten to work before.
Very well said Wally!
Nice to know I'm not the only "mess with it until it works" guy out here.
I also agree that having someone who KNOWS why it works as well as the MOST efficient path to making it work is a real eye opener.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th October, 2001 at 06:20 PM.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:39 PM

Socket have one out as well.

EPoX Tech - can you give us any tips as to when the 8KHA2 will appear?
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Very well said Wally!
Nice to know I'm not the only "mess with it until it works" guy out here.
I also agree that having someone who KNOWS why iy works as well as the MOST efficient path to making it work is a real eye opener.
All my education has been at the school of broken computers, where the motto is "Play with it until it breaks, then don't play with it so much next time!" Trial and error is my teacher, and time is my tuition! And working computers are my certifications. Which really doesn't look as impressive on a resumé as you'd think it would.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:55 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by irsquirt
Socket have one out as well.

EPoX Tech - can you give us any tips as to when the 8KHA2 will appear?
Soon ......

At this moment you guys know as much as me on this one.