AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th October, 2001, 02:01 PM

Do I have to reinstall Windows for my Epox 8KHA+???

Hi guys,

My Epox 8KHA+ board came today. I was previously running the IWill KK266R board based on Via's KT133A chipset. Now will I have to do a clean install of my Window's 98SE operating system or can I just install the motherboard and use the current operating system I have. If yes, could you please explain the setup instructions I 'll need...

Thanks....
Old 17th October, 2001, 04:49 PM

Re: Do I have to reinstall Windows for my Epox 8KHA+???

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul.K
Hi guys,

My Epox 8KHA+ board came today. I was previously running the IWill KK266R board based on Via's KT133A chipset. Now will I have to do a clean install of my Window's 98SE operating system or can I just install the motherboard and use the current operating system I have. If yes, could you please explain the setup instructions I 'll need...

Thanks....
Here's what I would recommend, if'n ya don't wanna format.

As a precaution, ALWAYS back up your important/critical files before you do any upgrades. One once of prevention is better than a kick in the ass.

Boot into safe mode. Right click on "My Computer" and pull up the "Device Manger" tab. Go through and wipe out EVERYTHING that relates to the mobo: System Resources, USB, Drive controllers. Just wipe them out. Power down, swap mobos, power back up, and let it detect everything.
Old 17th October, 2001, 08:16 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Re: Re: Do I have to reinstall Windows for my Epox 8KHA+???

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
One once of prevention is better than a kick in the ass.
That's a new one on me. I always thought it was one ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Is this a personal adaptation?

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th October, 2001, 08:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I did when mine came yesterday. Usually it's a good Idea, though not necessary.

BTW- your gonna love this board!

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th October, 2001, 08:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

My wife and I just swapped out an Asus P3V4X for an Asus BX P3BF, but She's running W2K. I didn't do any prep work as we were going to Reformat and reinstall. Damned if it didn't open re-load the drivers in a flash and run rock solid ever since, been about a week now. Go figure!

I too always thought this was a real necessary thing to do. It may be W2K or the fact they were both Asus boards, got me!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th October, 2001, 08:32 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
My wife and I just swapped out an Asus P3V4X for an Asus BX P3BF, but She's running W2K. I didn't do any prep work as we were going to Reformat and reinstall. Damned if it didn't open re-load the drivers in a flash and run rock solid ever since, been about a week now. Go figure!

I too always thought this was a real necessary thing to do. It may be W2K or the fact they were both Asus boards, got me!
So you suggesting that you should try to boot into Windows before doing a format. It's a good idea. I mean if it's screwed anyway then you'll need to format anyway (that made like no sense).

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 17th October, 2001, 08:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Mind you this IS W2K, but ya I'd try it, unless you want to clean house, always a good thing to do. I wanted to know why it was crashing every five mins. when on line. I had some reason to suspect the Via board, turned out I was right, at lest it stopped crashing, "I" never really know what's going on, I just putter until I get things working again.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th October, 2001, 09:04 PM
EPoX Tech

We would suggest that regardless of operating system, the install of any mainboard using a differing chipset or chipset configuration (different onboard audio even), a fresh install should be perfromed from the bottom up.

This may seem like a lot of hassle but will guarantee a much fresher remit.

Regardless of the suggestions to remove devices from the device manager, and re-install a fresh, we would suggest to ignore this advice - registry entries are made on various hardware elements that are not removed when devices are installed, hence the necessity to do the sensible thing - a clean install. This will guarantee optimal performance and stability (and will make it easier to debug should anything be amiss).

You have to imagine that you are a system integrator manufacturinga board from fresh components from the boxes.
Old 17th October, 2001, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
We would suggest that regardless of operating system, the install of any mainboard using a differing chipset or chipset configuration (different onboard audio even), a fresh install should be perfromed from the bottom up.

This may seem like a lot of hassle but will guarantee a much fresher remit.

Regardless of the suggestions to remove devices from the device manager, and re-install a fresh, we would suggest to ignore this advice - registry entries are made on various hardware elements that are not removed when devices are installed, hence the necessity to do the sensible thing - a clean install. This will guarantee optimal performance and stability (and will make it easier to debug should anything be amiss).

You have to imagine that you are a system integrator manufacturinga board from fresh components from the boxes.
Gotta agree, regardless of what I posted earlier. What I posted earlier is best way I've found to do it, if you're trying to avoid a format. I myself prefer a format when installing a new mobo, just because that leads to less problems in the long run.
Old 17th October, 2001, 11:11 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:

Gotta agree, regardless of what I posted earlier. What I posted earlier is best way I've found to do it, if you're trying to avoid a format. I myself prefer a format when installing a new mobo, just because that leads to less problems in the long run.
I always format also and now always will. Epox Tech works for the company so he knows and probably is right.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 18th October, 2001, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
I always format also and now always will. Epox Tech works for the company so he knows and probably is right.
Not to dog Epox Tech, but most company reps just spout what the manuals say. So usually I'd take that with a grain of salt. But thus far, in the other posts, Epox Tech really seems to know what he's (she's?) talking about, so I'm assuming Epox Tech is probably either one of the developers, or at least someone who knows what they're talking about, and not just regurgitating stuff from the manuals. Listen to the 'Tech!

That, and I've always found a format to work better when swapping mobos. So listen to the Epox Tech.

Last edited by Wa11y; 18th October, 2001 at 04:57 PM.
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:46 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:

Not do dog Epox Tech, but most company reps just spout what the manuals say. So usually I'd take that with a grain of salt. But thus far, in the other posts, Epox Tech really seems to know what he's (she's?) talking about, so I'm assuming Epox Tech is probably either one of the developers, or at least someone who knows what they're talking about, and not just regurgitating stuff from the manuals. Listen to the 'Tech!

That, and I've always found a format to work better when swapping mobos. So listen to the Epox Tech.
Thank you Wa11y.

I will state I am a "he" !!! Yeah I do work in a technical role here (which I love) and can state that I quite like this overclocking thing.

I'd love to see more people fronting their acheivements of 3D Mark scores of like 9,000 at default sets or 176Mhz FSb's or things like that though.

Come' on' Guys' - let's see what amazing things you overclockers are acheiving !!!
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Thank you Wa11y.

I will state I am a "he" !!! Yeah I do work in a technical role here (which I love) and can state that I quite like this overclocking thing.

I'd love to see more people fronting their acheivements of 3D Mark scores of like 9,000 at default sets or 176Mhz FSb's or things like that though.

Come' on' Guys' - let's see what amazing things you overclockers are acheiving !!!
Good to know. Now I can say "He know's what he's doing!"

I'll order or buy that board this weekend, and see what I can do for ya! What processor are you using on that thing? I'll probably go with a 1.4 Tbird, if I can find a good stepping. I'll report back after I go to the computer show this weekend. I hope I'm not disappointed like a few years back when I went!
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:04 PM
EPoX Tech

I use 3 different processors for my experimentation on Socket A boards -
[list=1][*]Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53GHz part)[*]Duron 1GHz (Morgan Core)[*]Athlon 1400C (AYHJA)[/list=1]
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I use 3 different processors for my experimentation on Socket A boards -
[list=1][*]Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53GHz part)[*]Duron 1GHz (Morgan Core)[*]Athlon 1400C (AYHJA)[/list=1]
Which one's given you the best OC? And what are you using to cool them? I'll probably go with watercooling, but I'd need something in the interim.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:16 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:

Which one's given you the best OC? And what are you using to cool them? I'll probably go with watercooling, but I'd need something in the interim.
The Athlon XP overclocks the furthest, but the Athlon Thunderbird lets you adjust multipliers more easily.

The Duron Morgan is also great for playing around with the FSB on a low multiplier.

My favourite has to be the Athlon Thunderbird still.

I use the MTS Glaciator to cool them - Daniel put me onto it.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:20 PM

Quote:

The Athlon XP overclocks the furthest, but the Athlon Thunderbird lets you adjust multipliers more easily.

The Duron Morgan is also great for playing around with the FSB on a low multiplier.

My favourite has to be the Athlon Thunderbird still.

I use the MTS Glaciator to cool them - Daniel put me onto it.
Hm....Okay. I'll probably still go with the Tbird for now, since it'll be cheaper. I'll see what I can do with that. And I was thinking of the Glaciator anyway. I've heard nothing but good about them. Time to hold thier balls to the fire!!!

As quickly as you're replying Epox Tech, do you do any work there?!?! G'wan! Start developing a newer board with faster PCI architecture!!
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:22 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:

Hm....Okay. I'll probably still go with the Tbird for now, since it'll be cheaper. I'll see what I can do with that. And I was thinking of the Glaciator anyway. I've heard nothing but good about them. Time to hold thier balls to the fire!!!

As quickly as you're replying Epox Tech, do you do any work there?!?! G'wan! Start developing a newer board with faster PCI architecture!!
It is not working hours where I am in the world right now. I do plenty of work though - rest assured.

I am on call 24 hours a day.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:26 PM

Quote:

It is not working hours where I am in the world right now. I do plenty of work though - rest assured.

I am on call 24 hours a day.
I'm just jealous because I don't get to play with all the cool toys before anyone else can. I try to avoid work every chance I get! But then again, I'm never on call. I work my 8 hours, and my sins are forgiven me, and I get to go home. But I think I'd be willing to sacrifice that for getting the cool toys!