AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th June, 2002, 01:48 PM

can't get sound card to work while all PCI slots are filled

hi all,

i've been wrestling with my new 8k3a+ for the past 5 hours. for some reason, i just can't install the on board sound driver. i tried to install from the driver on the CD and the drivers from epox.uk site. but to no avail.

the last time i tried to install the sound driver, i corrupted the isapnp.sys file...WTF....i wonder if one of my pci cards are conflicting with the sound device. my pci config is as fallows:

AGP- geforce 2ti

PCI slot:

1- blank
2- NIC
3- SCSI Card
4- Firewire
5- USB 2.0
6- PCI Video card

i've already disabled the LPT and onboard USB 2.

another thing, what's the best config to set the IRQ assignment in the bios? i remember setting the IRQ in the bios for the 8kha+ and everything worked perfectly.

TIA,
r0l0e

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2002, 02:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Prob out of resouorces. Try turning off the com ports in the bios. Along with anything else you may not need. What sound card?

Can you disable SB emulation. My board will not work with SB emulation installed and it uses another interupt...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2002, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow
Prob out of resouorces. Try turning off the com ports in the bios. Along with anything else you may not need. What sound card?

Can you disable SB emulation. My board will not work with SB emulation installed and it uses another interupt...
i'm thinking the same. sorry i want so clear with the sound card...I meant the on board sound.

i don't remember seeing SB emulation in the bios. i'll check again dough.

damn i wish epox used usb 2.0 onboard ...

Last edited by r0l0e; 25th June, 2002 at 09:02 PM.
Old 25th June, 2002, 08:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

The onboard sound is realtek ALC650... (Depends on the verison tough.. There are some that are a different ALC model)...

No C-Media unfortunatelly (so much better !).
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 25th June, 2002, 08:44 PM

arrgg!!!, i'm really sorry about that. i was thinking of my Iwill board at the time i was posting this thread.

anyway, i think i got her stable. i'm still testing for stability so i'll post back in a bit.

Old 25th June, 2002, 09:23 PM

well i kinda of think i fixed my problem (x'ing-fingers and toes). i downloaded two drivers, one from epox (u.s) and installed the sound driver via device manager. then i downloaded the driver from epox (uk) and proceded to install the Sound Manager. as far as i know, i haven't had any problems yet. i have enabled the rest of the stuff like com1, com2 and so far no problems.

EDIT:

oh ya, one more thing... the parellel port shared IRQ 7 with the scsi, sound, and anther device so i kept it disabled. that may have been the solution also.

side note: this board IS more stable than my previouse 1.0 version non-raid. the only thing thats holding me back is proly my enersux 431watt psu and/or crucial pc2100 at 182fsb 2.5-2-2-1T. but anyway, i can't ask for anything more from a pair of $50 memory sticks.

Last edited by r0l0e; 25th June, 2002 at 09:28 PM.
Old 25th June, 2002, 09:25 PM

Nice to hear that...

Good luck .

Talking about sound.. I really wished to have CMedia 8738 here... This ALC650 is far away from being good. (I listen to MP3s using the ALC650 plugged in my mini-system).

This sound has some "gaps" in lower frequencies and sometimes has too metallic sound.
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 25th June, 2002, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nfrenay
Nice to hear that...

Good luck .

Talking about sound.. I really wished to have CMedia 8738 here... This ALC650 is far away from being good. (I listen to MP3s using the ALC650 plugged in my mini-system).

This sound has some "gaps" in lower frequencies and sometimes has too metallic sound.
doesn't cmedia make pci sound cards? i beleive i saw the 6.1 card here and they weren't expensive at all.

what board version do you have? i have the v1.2 but i haven't listened to any music yet.

Old 25th June, 2002, 11:30 PM

I don't know if they do make the cards but they surely do the chips...

I had a PCChips motherboard (crappy!) that had a C-Media 8738 audio chip onboard. The sound was so much better than this ALC650 one...

Also I mounted a computer for my father months ago with Soyo Dragon Plus! motherboard and it has the CMedia 8738 also... It's much better than this.

I don't know why manufacturers insist on these AC97 chips.

My EPoX 8k3a+ is 1.2 version.
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 26th June, 2002, 12:39 AM

You can buy a soundblaster 5.1 for £25.
Thats what I use with my 8k3a.

It does give slightly better sound but not much.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 26th June, 2002, 12:43 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I use the ALC201A that comes with version 1.0 and am perfectly happy. Hey, when you have crappy speakers, you can't tell you have crappy sound!

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th June, 2002, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
Hey, when you have crappy speakers, you can't tell you have crappy sound!
Exactly... .

It all depends on your speakers .
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 26th June, 2002, 02:49 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
I use the ALC201A that comes with version 1.0 and am perfectly happy. Hey, when you have crappy speakers, you can't tell you have crappy sound!
What CRAPPY SOUND?? I've been sending you music, looks like now I need to cut you off!!!:-D
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 26th June, 2002, 03:08 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie

What CRAPPY SOUND?? I've been sending you music, looks like now I need to cut you off!!!:-D
Rob
LOL.&nbsp; I thought it was pretty good

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th June, 2002, 08:30 AM

Quote:
i'm on the same boat. it sends shivers up my spine to spend on a speaker system that cost as much or more than my motherboard.

Old 26th June, 2002, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e

doesn't cmedia make pci sound cards? i beleive i saw the 6.1 card here and they weren't expensive at all.

THey do sell the sound cards here in the Philippines which are available in PC Express. 4 channel CMI8738 costs 350PHP and the 6 channel CMI8738 costs 550PHP

Ive installed the 4 channel in a friend's PC and it works fine
Old 26th June, 2002, 12:23 PM

for conversion: $1 = 51 philippine pesos.. thanks JayJay

Old 26th June, 2002, 07:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by nfrenay
I don't know why manufacturers insist on these AC97 chips.
Nowt wrong with AC97. It's a pretty nice standard really.

AC97 V2.3 suports. 6 channels, 20bit resolution, 96KHz sample rate, SPDIF I/O, two modem line DACS , modem handset DAC, Line-In, two modem line ADCs, modem handset ADC and an 3rd ADC input.

Ok, so the modem handset channel and modem line 2 output channel might end up being combined to provide the 96KHz SPDIF output.

Yeah, loopbacks are included so outputs can be looped back to inputs too.

AidanII
Old 26th June, 2002, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Nowt wrong with AC97. It's a pretty nice standard really.

AC97 V2.3 suports. 6 channels, 20bit resolution, 96KHz sample rate, SPDIF I/O, two modem line DACS , modem handset DAC, Line-In, two modem line ADCs, modem handset ADC and an 3rd ADC input.

Ok, so the modem handset channel and modem line 2 output channel might end up being combined to provide the 96KHz SPDIF output.

Yeah, loopbacks are included so outputs can be looped back to inputs too.

AidanII
huh??? now that Aidan just taught me to read French, i think i can make it on my own now.