AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th October, 2001, 12:07 AM

Epox Tech few problems with my setup of my Epox 8KHA+

Thanks Epox for your assistance so far...

I've currently just installed my new system tonight. The system is very stable, however a few issues have arised.

1) I try to install VIA hardware monitor but it gives the error

"Via Hardware Monitor error
Via Hardware Monitor doesnt be intialized by your bios!!"

Could you please tell me a way to rectify this problem has I like this utility.

2) At the moment Im using motherboard monitor Version 5. This reports my 3.3Volt line to be 1.51volts. Now this low voltage is quite distrubing....is the value accurate. Also I have a 400Watt Sparkle PSU supply power to my 1.4AMD chip.

3) SiSoft Sandra 2000te keeps crashing with CPU benchmark tests and memory benchmark tests. Now these problems also occur with my brother machine (Epox 8KHA). Can you tell me a way to get these benchmarks to run, has I see other people running this program with these boards...

Sorry for the lenghty post....

Thanks!!!
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:22 AM
EPoX Tech

[list=1][*]VIA Hardware monitor is no longer a supported product (no longer available fromVIA) and does not support Apollo Pro 266, KT 266 Series or P4X266.[*]The reading of 1.51v is for your AGP. Since you have a fully AGP 4x compliant graphics card this reading is rightfully in the region of 1.5v. AGP cards operating at 2x standard use the 3.3v level. This is a problem of motherboard monitors set-up.[*]We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with the ability to do sandra memory benches. Please ensure the memory timings are not too aggressive or another 3rd party driver or process is interefering with the benchmark software.[/list=1]
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

3. I've been using SiSoft Sandra 2001SE Pro extensively with my 8KHA+(tweak it till it screams baby!). I've only had one crash, resulting from running folding@home and the memory bandwidth test simultaneously (I was trying to crash the system on purpose), throttling the FSB back a notch cured the problem. Try lowering some memory timings or the FSB and try again. I mean what good will all that memory bandwidth due if the system kills over every time you are trying to use it?

BTW- what memory scores are you getting?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:21 AM
EPoX Tech

Make sure you use the Sandra 2001 te edition at least. This has better support for KT266 systems.

Please see memory bandwidth for 8KHA (Morgan) here at just 133MHz - I'll post this in the other thread for you also.
Attached Thumbnails
Epox Tech few problems with my setup of my Epox 8KHA+-133mem.gif  

Last edited by EPoX Tech; 18th October, 2001 at 06:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2001, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Make sure you use the Sandra 2001 te edition at least. This has better support for KT266 systems.
Is there a patch? I'm using the full version, not the shareware version, so I would need to patch it to TE. I'll go look for a patch before you get back with me probably, so I don't know why I asked.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th October, 2001, 06:54 AM
EPoX Tech

For what you are testing you only need the shareware version like that I'm using.
Old 18th October, 2001, 10:04 AM

I'm using the te version of SiSOft Sandra, the lastest version. What I find interesting is that my brother's machine (Epox 8KHA) also has the same problems...ie when you click on either the CPU benchmarks or memory benchmarks Sandra freezes. Now the only common thing between my brothers machine and mine (Epox 8KHA+) is that we used the same downloaded version of Via's service pack 4.33 and not the one supplied 4.32. Could it be Via's service pack thats causing the problem. Also I dont have the machine overclocked, it set at default 10.5X by 133FSB.

Another thing to note...if I perform tune up wizard on Sandra it says my FSB is too high for my chipset..(What gives there) when I am only running it at default speed...

How can you change the Via chipset drivers without installing windows again....

My memory settings in the bios is set at default (normal) haven't tweaked it yet....

Thanks Epox and co.....

Last edited by Paul.K; 18th October, 2001 at 10:06 AM.
Old 18th October, 2001, 04:54 PM
EPoX Tech

To install the 4-in-1's (get version 4.34 from http://www.viahardware.com), just unzip them to a new folder on the desktop and run the setup file that is supplied.

You do not have to worry about re-installing windows. The 4-in-1 installation process will guide you along the way.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:07 PM

Quote:
To install the 4-in-1's (get version 4.34 from http://www.viahardware.com), just unzip them to a new folder on the desktop and run the setup file that is supplied.

You do not have to worry about re-installing windows. The 4-in-1 installation process will guide you along the way.
Do you recommend installing all four VIA 4-in-1 drivers while in normal Windows, or do you recommend dropping into Safe mode, and installing them one at a time? I've heard there have been some problems, where you have to install them one at a time in safe mode. I have the 4.32 load, and that's how I installed them. I tried to install the 4.23 load that came on the CD all at once while in normal Windows, but it REALLY screwed my machine up. Fortunately, I was able to boot into safe mode, and remove them. But I'd read at overclockers.com to install them one at a time in safe mode to avoid problems. I just want to know how you install them, and if you run into any problems.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:12 PM
EPoX Tech

Provided that the operating system underneath is healthy, and the registry is in tact and has not been damaged by over zealous memory overclocking or other corruptive actions, the install of 4-in-1 should be done in a normal windows session all at once.

Just think - if VIA knew that there were issues with the drivers - they would be obliged to state that they need to be installed in a certain fashion - however there are no issues and I can state safely that my systems all run perfectly and the 4-in-1's (touch wood) always update seamlessly.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Provided that the operating system underneath is healthy, and the registry is in tact and has not been damaged by over zealous memory overclocking or other corruptive actions, the install of 4-in-1 should be done in a normal windows session all at once.

Just think - if VIA knew that there were issues with the drivers - they would be obliged to state that they need to be installed in a certain fashion - however there are no issues and I can state safely that my systems all run perfectly and the 4-in-1's (touch wood) always update seamlessly.
Okay. Might have just been a problem with the 4.23 load. I'm going to install some on my roommates computer today, so I'll try the 4.32 after a fresh install of Win98SE. Thanks for your input!
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:24 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

Okay. Might have just been a problem with the 4.23 load. I'm going to install some on my roommates computer today, so I'll try the 4.32 after a fresh install of Win98SE. Thanks for your input!
I really would go with the 4.34 version - has given me personally a lot of reasons to be using it. Stability, compatibility, etc,.
Old 18th October, 2001, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I really would go with the 4.34 version - has given me personally a lot of reasons to be using it. Stability, compatibility, etc,.
I was gonna give the 4.33 a go, since I heard from another forum member it's good, but if the 4.34 are solid, I'll throw those down, and upgrade mine to them.
Old 18th October, 2001, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I'll second that, I'm having no issues with them. It's nice to have a system that has never blue screened, even though I've only had it for like 36 hours now. I had the system crash once, but that was just a crash of the "unwanted restart" type, that might have been from my power supply even.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 18th October, 2001 at 07:07 PM.