AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2001, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to killem1x1

8K7A+ FSB questions

I've had my epox for about 2 months. Thanks for building such a great product. My question is:
I can't seem to get stable over 145 FSB with my 1800+ (This was with my T'bird as well, I could get slightly higher, but not much). I have an iwill ka266plus, so I installed it in the system (just for giggles), and I can hit 169FSB. That tells me that it isn't anything else in the system that can be limiting me, right? Is it just the "luck 'o the draw" that the mobo I have is holding me back?
I'm still going to purchase the 8kha+ becasue I do enjoy the flexibility you guys have given us, but I was just curious if the chipsets on mobos were like procc, some are just lucky?
Old 19th October, 2001, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

whats the i/o and dimm volatage?
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2001, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87
they are default right now. I did try upping the dimm v though.
Old 19th October, 2001, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

hmm, try this: set the io to 3.5 and the dimm to 2.7, and then try turring off one tweek at a time(eg. turn off one, if it makes no diff turn it back on and try another) g0ood luck
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2001, 10:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

You might want to give some other system specs. Try not to leave anything, even something seemingly trivial, out. Our EPoX Representative will probably ask you for more specs when he shows up, so posting them now will probably speed the process along.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 19th October, 2001, 10:25 PM
EPoX Tech

Re: 8K7A+ FSB questions

Quote:
Originally posted by killem1x1
I've had my epox for about 2 months. Thanks for building such a great product. My question is:
I can't seem to get stable over 145 FSB with my 1800+ (This was with my T'bird as well, I could get slightly higher, but not much). I have an iwill ka266plus, so I installed it in the system (just for giggles), and I can hit 169FSB. That tells me that it isn't anything else in the system that can be limiting me, right? Is it just the "luck 'o the draw" that the mobo I have is holding me back?
I'm still going to purchase the 8kha+ becasue I do enjoy the flexibility you guys have given us, but I was just curious if the chipsets on mobos were like procc, some are just lucky?
I feel that perhaps your power supply and memory type may be limiting you.

Please also note that high FSB on DDR sometimes requires a lot of VDimm. A 1Mhz incrase can sometimes command a 0.2 or 0.3v increase in VDimm.
Old 20th October, 2001, 04:25 PM

OK thanks, will try that now.
My system specs are as follows:

400w POWMAX PS (This is a "no-name", but has been working great, and 5v line never falls below 4.98 under full load

256 MB stick of crucial PC2100 DDR

XP1800+
Dlink nic
WINME
using a Dynatron HSF, I can't remember the model right now, but temps are 71f and 86f right now, mobo, and cpu. I can remove the side cover, and get them lower, but these seem good enough.

no other cards are installed while I'm working on my overclock

running 2 40 gig maxtor 7200rpm in RAID 0 config
elcheapo CDROM drive.

Keep in mind though, when I installed my Iwill ka266plus in this system I could hit FSB speeds of 176, but 169 stable. All components were the same except mobo's.
Old 20th October, 2001, 04:28 PM

Is there anything wrong with just upping the DDR adjust to +0.4v?
Old 20th October, 2001, 05:20 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
OK thanks, will try that now.
My system specs are as follows:

400w POWMAX PS (This is a "no-name", but has been working great, and 5v line never falls below 4.98 under full load

256 MB stick of crucial PC2100 DDR

XP1800+
Dlink nic
WINME
using a Dynatron HSF, I can't remember the model right now, but temps are 71f and 86f right now, mobo, and cpu. I can remove the side cover, and get them lower, but these seem good enough.

no other cards are installed while I'm working on my overclock

running 2 40 gig maxtor 7200rpm in RAID 0 config
elcheapo CDROM drive.

Keep in mind though, when I installed my Iwill ka266plus in this system I could hit FSB speeds of 176, but 169 stable. All components were the same except mobo's.
But that is a poor ALi based motherboard that may as well be using PC133 memory. We are talking here of a high quality chipset that is very aggressive with the memory, hence more difficulty to acheive such FSB's although still definatley feasible.
Old 20th October, 2001, 05:21 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with just upping the DDR adjust to +0.4v?
Nothing wrong with that at all with good memory provided that you want to take the risk. For me to get 165MHz FSB took me 2.90v on KT266.
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech

But that is a poor ALi based motherboard that may as well be using PC133 memory. We are talking here of a high quality chipset that is very aggressive with the memory, hence more difficulty to acheive such FSB's although still definatley feasible.
It is an inferior mobo, no doubt. It is a DDR mobo, there inlies the question of why such a high FSB with that mobo using the same components?
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:22 PM

I also did up the ddr voltage to the .4, but am still having stability issues, I have tried 4 other sticks of DDR as well. Any suggestions are welcome. As I stated I will be an epox customer for a long time, as running the mobo stock it is excellent, and has more flexibility than any other I've used and I've used everything but Abit.
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:23 PM

...and it may also be that I'm not getting some of the AGP or MEM settings in the BIOS correctly with the epox, and I was just lucky with the iwill, I'll never rule out operator error
Old 20th October, 2001, 10:24 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:

It is an inferior mobo, no doubt. It is a DDR mobo, there inlies the question of why such a high FSB with that mobo using the same components?
Regarding AGP settings defying you a high FSB, you do not have to worry.

Whe you say that you acheive a higher FSB on the ALi MaGiK with the same components that is untrue, since the components on IWills motherboard differ. The ALi MaGiK 1 will easily allow high FSB's since there is no bandwidth there and no aggressiveness on your memory. The AMD760 will therefore perhaps require more voltage since the memory is always being pushed.

I would have to contest the ABit issue. My opinion is that the EPoX 8k7A easily contends and perhaps surpasses the KG7 series and at a lower price point too. If it does or if it does not, I don't need an argument - I don't do those
Old 20th October, 2001, 10:28 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
I would have to contest the ABit issue. My opinion is that the EPoX 8k7A easily contends and perhaps surpasses the KG7 series and at a lower price point too. If it does or if it does not, I don't need an argument - I don't do those
Much lower, that's what I like about it compared to the KG7 most.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 20th October, 2001, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87
Can you change the i/o on the 8K7A?
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Old 21st October, 2001, 01:19 AM

Quote:

Regarding AGP settings defying you a high FSB, you do not have to worry.

Whe you say that you acheive a higher FSB on the ALi MaGiK with the same components that is untrue, since the components on IWills motherboard differ. The ALi MaGiK 1 will easily allow high FSB's since there is no bandwidth there and no aggressiveness on your memory. The AMD760 will therefore perhaps require more voltage since the memory is always being pushed.

You must have mis-understood. I meant the epox was the superior mobo, not the iwill or the abit.