AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20th July, 2002, 01:32 AM

Question thermal diode calibration: could my 4g4a really be this far off?!

I recently followed the procedure at the arcticsilver site for calibrating my P4's thermal diode. My results were rather stunning, revealing that the system is overreporting the CPU temperature by 12.5 degrees centigrade(numbers checked and double-checked).

If correct, it helps to explain my system's puzzling temperature readings. Running a 1.6a on a 4g4a at 150 fsb and 1.55vcore, retail HSF w/ AS3, and case temperatures of 28C, my cpu idle temperature is 43c, and under load it soars to 55-56c.

But, I'm not absolutely confident in my results. What are other 4g4a users seeing, temperature-wise, and what bios are you using? I flashed back to the 4/11 version (not the 4/24 version posted on this site), as it did far better w/ memory speeds above 360mhz (others in another thread reported seeing similar issues) than the 6/19 bios. I have a hunch that might have something to do with the temperature discrepancy.

If any others (especially 4g4a[+] users) have, or are willing to, go through the calibration process themselves (it takes about 20 minutes), I'd be fascinated to hear your results.

thanks,

Goto
Old 20th July, 2002, 12:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's a shame there's no way of getting the output from the CPU whilst the CPU is off, as the CPU would be at a known temperature, and would be more accurate...

Even more accurate would be measurement of two temperatures at known points...

I'm a bit confused as to why they say for AMD boards - "the ad-hock systems currently being built to read temperatures from the diode are nonlinear", given that it's not too difficult to ensure a linear system with off the shelf chips!

AidanII
Old 21st July, 2002, 04:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

i read an intel procedure somewhere to manually read from the thermal diode in CPU using a multimeter with a thermal diode ability for socket cpus you have to solder the wires onto 3 diff pins (from the back of the mobo) *shrug*