AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2001, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

8kha+ psu questions

i bought an inwin q500 full tower case a while back with a 300watt psu and i was woundering if it would be suffecet to fun an 8kha+. heres what the sys specs will be:

1 cdrw
1 dvd
1 7200rpm hdd
1(of course) 8kha+
1 geforce2mx
1 sb audigy
1 linksys nic
1 athy mp or xp
bunch 'o fans(6+)
if its not, is it possibale i could run the drives and fans off a 230 watt at psu and the 8kha+off the 300?
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2001, 11:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Is it AMD approved? I know EPoX tech will ask the same question.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st October, 2001, 02:18 AM

yep-its amd aproved for

Athlon XP 1800+
Athlon XP 1700+
Athlon XP 1600+
Athlon XP 1500+
Athlon 950
Athlon 900
Athlon 850
Athlon 800
Athlon 750
Athlon 700
Athlon 650
Athlon 600
Athlon 1333
Athlon 1300
Athlon 1200
Athlon 1133
Athlon 1100
Athlon 1000
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Last edited by fireball_87; 21st October, 2001 at 02:23 AM.
Old 21st October, 2001, 09:19 AM
EPoX Tech

Re: 8kha+ psu questions

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87
i bought an inwin q500 full tower case a while back with a 300watt psu and i was woundering if it would be suffecet to fun an 8kha+. heres what the sys specs will be:

1 cdrw
1 dvd
1 7200rpm hdd
1(of course) 8kha+
1 geforce2mx
1 sb audigy
1 linksys nic
1 athy mp or xp
bunch 'o fans(6+)
if its not, is it possibale i could run the drives and fans off a 230 watt at psu and the 8kha+off the 300?
People always get this misconception that the more that is in the system, the less chance of booting a high speed processor you have. The fact is that the chance that you have to boot the system is based mainly on the combined power output of the PSU, not the peripherals attached which are powered by a different part of the PSU structure.

We would recommend a power supply of at least 350W with at least 195W combined power appearing on the AMD approved power supply listings at their site (not just PSU's that retailers claim to be AMD approved as is often the case).

The 8KHA series is perhaps easier to power than the 8K7A series of mainboards.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 01:29 AM

Re: Re: 8kha+ psu questions

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech

People always get this misconception that the more that is in the system, the less chance of booting a high speed processor you have. The fact is that the chance that you have to boot the system is based mainly on the combined power output of the PSU, not the peripherals attached which are powered by a different part of the PSU structure.

We would recommend a power supply of at least 350W with at least 195W combined power appearing on the AMD approved power supply listings at their site (not just PSU's that retailers claim to be AMD approved as is often the case).

The 8KHA series is perhaps easier to power than the 8K7A series of mainboards.
ok, you didnt anwser my question though will it or will it not run?
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 22nd October, 2001, 01:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Re: Re: Re: 8kha+ psu questions

Quote:

I think he did FireBall_87, check the AMD site and see if THEY approve it":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd October, 2001, 02:09 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Re: Re: Re: Re: 8kha+ psu questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
I think he did FireBall_87, check the AMD site and see if THEY approve it":O}
Is this another one of those give a man a fish things

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd October, 2001, 02:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm afraid so":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd October, 2001, 02:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: 8kha+ psu questions

Quote:

Well, how much combined power does it have? If it's on AMD's list and has at least 195w of combined power then probably yes. If it doesn't meet those two standards, then it probably won't be sufficient(but it can't hurt to try).

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd October, 2001, 07:58 AM
EPoX Tech

I think that my answer was detailed enough - I'm too busy to check out all of the information for you guys every time, but can always give a set of variables for people to check reference with.

Please remember that I only have a set amount of time in here - If I were to answer everybody entirely I'd have made about 4 postings by this point instead of about 100.

I'm sure that by using the "lead a pony ( a white one called palomino?) to the river and hencewith see if he shall care to drink" approach, you guys and gals should learne even more.

Par exemple,

If Fireball goes to AMD's site to check out the PSU's in an ATX form factor for his processor, he may see that his PSU is not approved, but also see many others that do comply with the guidelines I stated (350W total and 195W combined) that he knows he can get either online or in retail.

It is for everyones benefit - it saves me time and lets you all gain knowledge along the way.

Peace.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
I think that my answer was detailed enough - I'm too busy to check out all of the information for you guys every time, but can always give a set of variables for people to check reference with.

Please remember that I only have a set amount of time in here - If I were to answer everybody entirely I'd have made about 4 postings by this point instead of about 100.

I'm sure that by using the "lead a pony ( a white one called palomino?) to the river and hencewith see if he shall care to drink" approach, you guys and gals should learne even more.

Par exemple,

If Fireball goes to AMD's site to check out the PSU's in an ATX form factor for his processor, he may see that his PSU is not approved, but also see many others that do comply with the guidelines I stated (350W total and 195W combined) that he knows he can get either online or in retail.

It is for everyones benefit - it saves me time and lets you all gain knowledge along the way.

Peace.
sigh. i did go to the amd site. yes it is aproved. no it is not 350w total(i said it was 300 i belive), i have no idea what combined power is. i am confused because it does not meet "your guidelines", yet it is amd aproved. all i know is that is says on the side(upsidedown) "MAX. OUTPUT POWER:300W(+3.3v & +5v = 150W max)

it is a 4 anwser question. pleese select one(c'mon here folks, its not that hard):

A. it will run fine
B. it will not run at all
C. it will run, but i canot gaurentee that it will be stable
D. i have no idea
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 22nd October, 2001, 08:31 PM

Quote:

sigh. i did go to the amd site. yes it is aproved. no it is not 350w total(i said it was 300 i belive), i have no idea what combined power is. i am confused because it does not meet "your guidelines", yet it is amd aproved. all i know is that is says on the side(upsidedown) "MAX. OUTPUT POWER:300W(+3.3v & +5v = 150W max)

it is a 4 anwser question. pleese select one(c'mon here folks, its not that hard):

A. it will run fine
B. it will not run at all
C. it will run, but i canot gaurentee that it will be stable
D. i have no idea
Plug it in and find out.

From what you said with the MAX. OUTPUT POWER:300W(+3.3v & +5v = 150W max), I would believe that the combined output is 150W.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
From what you said with the MAX. OUTPUT POWER:300W(+3.3v & +5v = 150W max), I would believe that the combined output is 150W.
Yup, that be the combined output. I've got a slightly modified PSU with 145w combined pushing my board to 156FSB, the 5v rail is dangerously low. I think maybe you should get another PSU if you can afford it, and if you can't don't expect any high FSB goodness Fireball. I myself have a Sparkle 350 on the way, with 220w's of combined power, I'll let you know what improvement I see in FSBs.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 22nd October, 2001 at 09:15 PM.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Yup, that be the combined output. I've got a slightly modified PSU with 145w combined pushing my board to 156FSB, the 5v rail is dangerously low. I think maybe you should get another PSU if you can afford it, and if you can't don't expect any high FSB goodness Fireball. I myself have a Sparkle 350 on the way, with 220w's of combined power, I'll let you know what improvement I see in FSBs.
hmmmmm.. ok. thx! im supposing running everything elese off a 2nd psu wouldent help this right?
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 22nd October, 2001, 09:59 PM

Quote:

hmmmmm.. ok. thx! im supposing running everything elese off a 2nd psu wouldent help this right?
Nope. Wouldn't help. You see there are seperate portions of a PSU, often refered to as the "high voltage rail" and "low voltage rail". Releving the high voltage rail of one PSU, by installing a second PSU, does not increase the ammount of current available on that PSU's low voltage rail. That's the best I can explain it, hope it helps.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd October, 2001, 10:07 PM
Systems Administrator

All right, lead me to water. I have searched but have not found. Sparkle 350W is not AMD approved for 1800+. Also noticed it is not ATX 2.03 compliant. Will this still run an 8kha+ with 1800+. I'm not sure if the ps needs to be ATX 2.03 compliant or even what ATX 2.03 is. Thanks in advance, Mike.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd October, 2001, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
All right, lead me to water. I have searched but have not found. Sparkle 350W is not AMD approved for 1800+. Also noticed it is not ATX 2.03 compliant. Will this still run an 8kha+ with 1800+. I'm not sure if the ps needs to be ATX 2.03 compliant or even what ATX 2.03 is. Thanks in advance, Mike.
ATX 2.03 PSUs have the 12v cable for P4 motherboards, I think. The Sparkle 350 is approved for the Tbird 1.4GHz. The other day(3 days ago?) when I checked the Sparkle 400 wasn't approved for XP 1800+ and yesterday It just showed up on the list. I'm thinking AMD are still testing PSUs for approval, and it might show up latter. Anyway, with 220w of combined power and only a 50mv ripple I don't think it will give me any trouble . . . . Like I said, I'll let you all know how she goes . . . .

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 22nd October, 2001 at 10:25 PM.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Nope. Wouldn't help. You see there are seperate portions of a PSU, often refered to as the "high voltage rail" and "low voltage rail". Releving the high voltage rail of one PSU, by installing a second PSU, does not increase the ammount of current available on that PSU's low voltage rail. That's the best I can explain it, hope it helps.
is there a way to increse the low voltage rail's power (eg. psu mod ) ?
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 22nd October, 2001, 10:32 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
ATX 2.03 PSUs have the 12v cable for P4 motherboards, I think. The Sparkle 350 is approved for the Tbird 1.4GHz. The other day(3 days ago?) when I checked the Sparkle 400 wasn't approved for XP 1800+ and yesterday It just showed up on the list. I'm thinking AMD are still testing PSUs for approval, and it might show up latter. Anyway, with 220w of combined power and only a 50mv ripple I don't think it will give me any trouble . . . . Like I said, I'll let you all know how she goes . . . .
All right, sounds good. I just wasn't sure what ATX 2.03 was mainly. I'm sure this supply will be added to the list then.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd October, 2001, 10:33 PM

Quote:

is there a way to increse the low voltage rail's power (eg. psu mod ) ?
Depends on what model the PSU is, and what your background in electronics is.

AOA Team fah