AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2002, 06:01 AM

Can't run faster than 166 FSB, Why?

I can't seem to run faster than 166 FSB under load. My XP is locked so all I have is 10.5 x. If I set it at anything under 166 or over 133 it will not boot at all. I can boot all the way up to 170 FSB, but it will not run windows for very long. I have tried the following:
AGP set to 2x and 1x
Memory timings at Normal
Primary/Secondary Master/Slave UDMA at 66 ATA (main drive is 100ATA)
Vcore voltage 2.0v
DIMM voltage 2.9v

Any other suggestions?
I wanna hit 1800, what do I gotta try?
Attached Thumbnails
Can't run faster than 166 FSB, Why?-167-fsb-sparkle-jpeg.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 30th July, 2002 at 06:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2002, 09:48 AM

Set your memory to 133mhz mode not by speed and you should be able to run betweem 133 and 166.

What happens at SPD is that your memory runs at 166mhz mode (as its PC-2700) so once you increase the FSB your memory is overclocked too far (as its on a 1.25 multiplyer), so at 134mhz your memory is at 134x1.25 = 167.5mhz at 150 its at 187mhz

once you get past 166 then your memory will run 1:1 with the FSB.

I think that your CPU is at its limit once you hat 166 (so its unstable) to cure this you need more voltage or better cooling (probably both)
170 is a bit on the hot side, if yoiu have a newer XP you shouldt need 2v to clock high, try dropping back to a lower voltage as it looks like your cooler is struggling to cope.

You may also want to try the new bios its a bit less agressive so you might get a slightly better overclock.

To properly tune your system with this board a unlocked CPU is a must.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2002, 12:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Get your temps down. Not only is it bad for your overclock and holding you back, I think you may be risking damage to your CPU. It's just too high.
Old 30th July, 2002, 03:21 PM

170 Deg F.....

Ouch!!!

Cooling Cooling Cooling...

Case fans, good heatsink, good fan on the heatsink...

Or Water Cooling

Or a Phase Change cooling solution (Vapochill, or Promethia).

You should be at a max around 130 Deg F... for average use, and 135 to 140 for load (and thats max temps).

Good temps would be around 100 to 110 idle and 120 to 130 under load.

Toss the Panaflo and get a Delta80 or Vantec Tornado (although you will end up deaf if you leave the case open with either of these 80mm fans {sarcasime})... AX-7 needs good airflow for 1.8Ghz (been their done that gone back to the Alpha8045).
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's

Last edited by Bring the Noise; 30th July, 2002 at 03:26 PM.
Old 30th July, 2002, 05:40 PM

Your cpu temps seem off (high) for your HS/F combo. I have an AX7/Sunon 80mm 3900rpm/50cfm, cooling an XP2100+ running at 1802mHz (139 fsb X 13.0, 1.75vcore). I use Arctic Silver III thermal paste.

The AX7/Sunon performance (typical values):
At 100% cpu output...
mobo temp = 28°C, cpu temp = 46-47°C (approx 116°F)
At cpu idle...
mobo temp = 28°C, cpu temp = 39-40°C (approx 103°F)

Your cpu fan is faster than mine, so you are probably putting out more air flow. You may want to check:

-- Is HS fully seated flat and parallel, and in good contact with the cpu core? Ensure it is not resting on the ledge of the cpu socket itself.
-- Did you use any thermal conductive paste between HS and cpu core? I removed the installed thermal pad and used Arctic Silver III.
-- Is your fan blowing down onto the heat sink, and not blowing away?
-- I also lapped my AX7 prior to installation, getting a good, flat, polished surface using 600 grit emery paper. This may be a bit overkill, but what the heck!
-- What are your case/mobo temps like? Do you have good ventillation?

I use a 120mm front/bottom blowing in, and a 120mm top/rear blowing out. Dual fan PS, plus a slot blower next to my MSI GF4 Ti4400 to pull out hot air from the vid card.

jmichna
Old 30th July, 2002, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jmichna
Your cpu temps seem off (high) for your HS/F combo. I have an AX7/Sunon 80mm 3900rpm/50cfm, cooling an XP2100+ running at 1802mHz (139 fsb X 13.0, 1.75vcore). I use Arctic Silver III thermal paste.

The AX7/Sunon performance (typical values):
At 100% cpu output...
mobo temp = 28°C, cpu temp = 46-47°C (approx 116°F)
At cpu idle...
mobo temp = 28°C, cpu temp = 39-40°C (approx 103°F)

Your cpu fan is faster than mine, so you are probably putting out more air flow. You may want to check:

-- Is HS fully seated flat and parallel, and in good contact with the cpu core? Ensure it is not resting on the ledge of the cpu socket itself.
-- Did you use any thermal conductive paste between HS and cpu core? I removed the installed thermal pad and used Arctic Silver III.
-- Is your fan blowing down onto the heat sink, and not blowing away?
-- I also lapped my AX7 prior to installation, getting a good, flat, polished surface using 600 grit emery paper. This may be a bit overkill, but what the heck!
-- What are your case/mobo temps like? Do you have good ventillation?

I use a 120mm front/bottom blowing in, and a 120mm top/rear blowing out. Dual fan PS, plus a slot blower next to my MSI GF4 Ti4400 to pull out hot air from the vid card.

jmichna
I have updated my signature to reflect what I am doing. Sorry for the confusion, folks.
Yes, the heatsink is lapped (800 grit ) and it is firmly seated. I have tried an Alpha PAL 8045 and I got tired of removing mobo to change CPU's. The fan is blowing DOWN on the heatsink.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't run faster than 166 FSB, Why?-167-fsb-sparkle-jpeg.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 30th July, 2002 at 06:11 PM.
Old 30th July, 2002, 07:51 PM

I'm curious, is Fan 2 on Power or aux. fan plug? and what software are you using to read the temps.
Old 30th July, 2002, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blueklown
I'm curious, is Fan 2 on Power or aux. fan plug? and what software are you using to read the temps.
Software looks like motherboard monitor 5 to me.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 30th July, 2002, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst

Software looks like motherboard monitor 5 to me.
Looks that way

His and mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't run faster than 166 FSB, Why?-mbm-2.gif  
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 30th July, 2002, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blueklown
It's MBM Version 5.1.9.1. Get it here. The other fan is a Northbridge fan I have plugged into the motherboard.

Old 30th July, 2002, 11:32 PM

Here I am, the latest, notice MBM, CPU is at 100%
Attached Thumbnails
Can't run faster than 166 FSB, Why?-screen-at-1764.jpg  

Old 30th July, 2002, 11:57 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

What is this! Seti@Home

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 31st July, 2002, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
What is this! Seti@Home
Been at it a long time! hehehe
Part of a team from my home site!

Old 31st July, 2002, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob

Been at it a long time! hehehe
Part of a team from my home site!
Your temps still stink. And I think even if I had an 8K3A+ reading from the CPU they would not be that high.

Pobly cauze he runz SETI & we are not his home page

And you guys need to make your desktop images smaller, geeee
Attached Thumbnails
Can't run faster than 166 FSB, Why?-temps-2.gif  
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys

Last edited by Lionfish; 31st July, 2002 at 03:24 AM.
Old 31st July, 2002, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lionfish

Your temps still stink. And I think even if I had an 8K3A+ reading from the CPU they would not be that high.

Pobly cauze he runz SETI & we are not his home page

My case sits inside a cabinet, what kind of case do you have? See the ambient?
And you guys need to make your desktop images smaller, geeee
I'm a dedicated overclockedcafe boy, what can I say!
Sorry bout the size, my eyesight ain't what it used to be! LOL

Old 31st July, 2002, 06:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Take care on Vcore.. 2.0V is just too much for the temperature you had!!!

Also, verify yout sig, as there isn't a 2916 BIOS yet... We are on 07/31 still .
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 31st July, 2002, 07:36 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Have you pulled the north bridge hsf off and applied ASII and reattached? If I remember correctly while we were at Camp AOA Spyder was having trouble getting past 133, the good Dr. Surely Joe took off the HSF and got rid of the thermal tape/pad and thermal epoxied it down and it ran ALOT FASTER (150 I think) and ALOT cooler.

I hope this helps.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 31st July, 2002, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nfrenay
Take care on Vcore.. 2.0V is just too much for the temperature you had!!!

Also, verify yout sig, as there isn't a 2916 BIOS yet... We are on 07/31 still .
OOPS, Moment of dyslexia! I corrected it, thanks!

Old 31st July, 2002, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
Have you pulled the north bridge hsf off and applied ASII and reattached? If I remember correctly while we were at Camp AOA Spyder was having trouble getting past 133, the good Dr. Surely Joe took off the HSF and got rid of the thermal tape/pad and thermal epoxied it down and it ran ALOT FASTER (150 I think) and ALOT cooler.

I hope this helps.
Rob
I will try that!, Thanks Rob

Old 31st July, 2002, 01:40 PM

Unle Bob... I went threw the same problems with the heatsinks...

I've actually gone back to the Alpha8045 (but I'm thinking about get'n the SLK800/Tornado combo just to see if it will improve my systems performance).

My problem right now is Case airflow...

I've gone from 180cfm intake/165 cfm exhaust (rough est) to probably under 90cfm intake/85 to 90cfm exhaust in the new box (Addtronics W8500 to Kingwin 456WM).

Old case had 3 92mm and 1 80mm intake and 4 80mm exhaust fans (then again it was a server case).

New case has 2 80mm intakes and 3 80mm exhaust (exhaust fans are slower then the intake fans which almost makes up for it).

If the MX-EVA3 or Promethia's don't come out soon I'm going to end up slap'n 2 Vantec Tornaodo 80's in the front and Delta80's in the rear (leaving the top fan alone)... I don't want to go deaf, so someone, anyone offer a good phase change solution in the US sooon!!!! Vapo's are okay but are expensive!!!

Just thinking out loud...

Okay on to your problems...

1.9 volts is a little high but shouldn't lock up with good cooling.

Have you tried the Alpha8045 back on it (with the heatsink being larger it should be able to absorb more heat over a longer period of time). I remember [H] doing a HSF review where the Alpha8045 and Thermalright SK6 went head to head... at 1.6Ghz and lower the SK6 was better... above 1.6Ghz though the 8045 took the advantage (was able to absorb more heat and disipate it easier, where the SK6 could aborb smaller amounts of heat quicker, but its disipation was what held it back).

Comparison tests show on average the SK6 is close to both the AX-7 and Alpha8045 in heat absorbtion... But the AX-7 is just like the SK6 (not enough surface area on the fins for a fast heat disipation). Its the large aluminum brick in the center of it that holds it back.

SLk800/Vantec Tornado combo... that may get you to 1850 or higher.

Oh I have had a AX-7/delta80 on a 1800+ that would do 1850 at 1.85v but it wasn't stable... Alpha8045/delta80 on same cpu made it stable at 1890 (but it would not stay stable above 1900 which sucked).
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's