AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2002, 04:50 PM

4G4A+ Memory copy speed low

http://www.xbitlabs.com/mainboards/p4-533-chipsets/ has an article comparing 533Mhz P4 chipsets. They use Cachemem to test memory performance. For their 845G board, they use a Gigabyte 8IGX running at 133FSB with DDR333. Here are the results for that board:

Read 2028.1
Write 847.9
Copy 1281.6

When I run the same test on the 4G4A+, I get these results:

Read 2135.7
Write 783.9
Copy 996.1

Notice the differences in write and especially copy speeds.

I'm using Corsair XMS CMX256A-3000C2 which is rated at DDR366. When I set the FSB to 147 to utilize that speed, I get these results:

Read 2342.6
Write 859.8
Copy 1092.7

Even at DDR366, the copy speed lags well behind what is achieved on the Gigabyte board. Can anyone offer an explanation?

System specs:
4G4A+ 06/17 bios
P4 1.6A @ 2.35
256 Corsair in slot 2
Memory timings: Turbo

Last edited by Folk; 30th July, 2002 at 05:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2002, 09:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BMM

Hmm... - There is definately a conciderabel difference between GB and EPoX' bandwidth. Even though this is theoretical, I'd expect somewhat the same performance between 2 mb with the same chipset.
Have you disabled the onboard graphics as well as onboard sound etc. and are you running any unnecessary programs in the background?
Old 30th July, 2002, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMM
Hmm... - There is definately a conciderabel difference between GB and EPoX' bandwidth. Even though this is theoretical, I'd expect somewhat the same performance between 2 mb with the same chipset.
Have you disabled the onboard graphics as well as onboard sound etc. and are you running any unnecessary programs in the background?
I would also expect similar performance between these two boards. I can't find any reviews giving memory write/copy speeds on the 4g4a+, so all I have to go on are my own results.

Onboard graphics and sound are disabled. Cachemem runs under DOS, so background tasks aren't an issue. It would be interesting to see someone else's 4g4a+ results. Cachemem can be downloaded from here:
http://www.aceshardware.com/articles...n/Cachemem.zip

To run, simply boot to dos, navigate to the folder where cachemem is stored, and type "cachemem results.txt" without the quotes. The results are saved in the text file. If you omit the file name, the results are displayed on-screen.
Old 1st August, 2002, 02:53 AM

Any posted Cachemem scores from 4G4A+ would be greatly appreciated!!