AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd August, 2002, 01:45 AM

Any new RDRAM boards from Epox?

Epox Tech are their any new ram-buss boards in the works??
Like maybe with the i850 chip-set that will go higher than FSB 156??
Or an SIS 658 chip-set motherboard?

Thanks
Swiftech Water Cooling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd August, 2002, 06:01 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to retrospooty

Rambus ? Whats that

Just kidding. I kinda doubt anyone is doing too much research into Rambus. Intel had completely dropped it on future products, there will be no more chipsets that use it after the current 850. It is going to die soon, Once Intel releases it, Dual channel ddr333 will way outperform it, not to mention DDRII .
Old 2nd August, 2002, 01:19 PM

Humm?? you think dual channel DDR333 can top this???
Keep in mind that the ram is only running at 156Mhz
I kinda doubt DDR will be looking like this any time soon, not at this low a fsb anyway
Attached Thumbnails
Any new RDRAM boards from Epox?-mem156x4.jpg  
Swiftech Water Cooling

Last edited by Blue; 2nd August, 2002 at 01:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd August, 2002, 02:29 PM

Be sure that DDR2 will beat RDRAM, maybe even the dual channel DDR333 or higher will beat the dual channel RDRAM.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 02:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BMM

The thing is that Dual Channel DDR-chipsets will make the boards more expensive than they are today - this will result in that chipsets with RDRAM or DDR SDRAM will be on the same price level (maybe DC DDR will be more expensive). Dual Channel DDR will very likely be faster than Dual Channel RDRAM - I am definately looking forward to be seeing this battle... Remember though, that with a 533 MHz Quad Pumped FSB, the maximum bandwidth is approx. 4.2 GB/s.

SiS has now launched their R658-chipset which is for Dual Channel RDRAM and it would be exciting to see if this chipset is faster than Intels solution - I'd like to see an EPoX mb with this chipset, because there are still a couple of month before we'll be seeing a dual channel DDR-chipset.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue
Humm?? you think dual channel DDR333 can top this???
Keep in mind that the ram is only running at 156Mhz
I kinda doubt DDR will be looking like this any time soon, not at this low a fsb anyway
It just might... DDR performs better with less bandwidth than RdRam. Rdram has too much latency. It may or may not score as high on Sisoft but that not a real measure of performance, its a memory test. Even if it does not, you can bet that dual channel DDRII 400 and 533 will beat it.

Its all a moot point anyhow. There will be no more RdRam chipsets, Intel finally got past their contract with Rambus and wont use it in ANY future chisets.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 05:40 PM

Hmm - Why are you talking about DDR-II - there won't be any DDR-II chipsets out for the next year. There is no reason to discuss DDR-II at present time, becuase RDRAM _will_ be faster at that time. If you have seen Rambus Roadmap you'll probably see that RDRAM is _not_ a dead memory standard. It is very different from DDR SDRAM and scales differently. Remember that the current RDRAM-memory normally only has a 16-bit wide data bus to the output buffer - where normal 168/184 pins DIMM-modules has a 64-bit wide datapath. This makes RDRAM a _very_ scalable solution, and we are beginning to see 32-bit modules (these are build up by 2 dual channel 16-bit modules) - soon they will be in a dual channel setup too which will double the bandwidth. Be careful not to neglect RDRAM from the memory market, as they are fast (and the price is almost the same as DDR SDRAM) - yes they have a greater latency than the fastest DDR SDRAM, but PC1066 _is_ faster than PC2100 DDR SDRAM.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 05:50 PM

Rambus does feel like a dying technology.
It does have some good points, it is very fast and price isnt too high at the moment.

Rambus will continue to be the bandwith king for a whyle yet, its difficult to say which will be the fastest from new DDR and rambus technologys. I think this will come dopwn to price and customer confidenmce as much as anything else, and DDR still has the upper hand on both counts in my mind.

Thatsnot to say that there wont be a rambus option out there but I dont think it will be mainstream, more likely to be low end servers and enthusiasts.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BMM
Hmm - Why are you talking about DDR-II - there won't be any DDR-II chipsets out for the next year. There is no reason to discuss DDR-II at present time, becuase RDRAM _will_ be faster at that time. If you have seen Rambus Roadmap you'll probably see that RDRAM is _not_ a dead memory standard. It is very different from DDR SDRAM and scales differently. Remember that the current RDRAM-memory normally only has a 16-bit wide data bus to the output buffer - where normal 168/184 pins DIMM-modules has a 64-bit wide datapath. This makes RDRAM a _very_ scalable solution, and we are beginning to see 32-bit modules (these are build up by 2 dual channel 16-bit modules) - soon they will be in a dual channel setup too which will double the bandwidth. Be careful not to neglect RDRAM from the memory market, as they are fast (and the price is almost the same as DDR SDRAM) - yes they have a greater latency than the fastest DDR SDRAM, but PC1066 _is_ faster than PC2100 DDR SDRAM.
You are right... Rambus is very scalable and will have faster iterations out next year too pc1200 and so on and so on. I have seen the roadmaps too. However there will be no Intel chipset that uses it (and certainly no AMD chipset) I850E is the last (that makes it a dead standard) . So Rambus can make any speed they want, for all it matters, no one will buy it if there are no chipsets.

They have alienated the entire computer industry now and have little options. Even Intel has publicly announced that the rambus deal was a huge mistake and they prefer to deal with tech partners that advance themselves through technology rather than litigation. Rambus does have some benefits, but even Intel has looked at the future products and decided to go with DDR and DDR2 for future chipsets... After that is QDR .
Old 2nd August, 2002, 10:40 PM

Well - you would be right if Intel and AMD were the only chipset manufactors that has something to say - but SiS R658 has RDRAM support and if SiS is going to give RDRAM a try then Intel have to watch out - I'm sure that they will come with more RDRAM chipsets as they see that RDRAM becomes faster and with higher bandwidth than DDR SDRAM can offer - newer processors will be able to use the higher FSB and that is why I do not believe that RDRAM is a *dead* standard... (*cough*Prescott*cough*667-800 MHz QP FSB*cough*).
Old 3rd August, 2002, 01:07 AM

Woh!! I didnt mean to start a war with this thread.
I just heard some rumers that Epox was going to put out another rambus board, and I'am hopeing it's true.

The current crop of PC1066 boards are cod locked at 156fsb,
And I have some Kingston A01's that are just dyeing to go past that 156x4
Swiftech Water Cooling
Old 3rd August, 2002, 03:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BMM
Well - you would be right if Intel and AMD were the only chipset manufactors that has something to say - but SiS R658 has RDRAM support and if SiS is going to give RDRAM a try then Intel have to watch out - I'm sure that they will come with more RDRAM chipsets as they see that RDRAM becomes faster and with higher bandwidth than DDR SDRAM can offer - newer processors will be able to use the higher FSB and that is why I do not believe that RDRAM is a *dead* standard... (*cough*Prescott*cough*667-800 MHz QP FSB*cough*).
ok ok, maybe it wont go away completely... Still SIS making a chipset is hardly enough to keep them going from a business standpoint. It would be a very small market. Intel turning its back on you is a major market kiss of death...
Old 3rd August, 2002, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I just heard some rumers that Epox was going to put out another rambus board, and I'am hopeing it's true.

Na, It's not a war - just a discussion whether RDRAM has a future or not...

Losing Intel is definately a big turnback for Rambus but I think that with SiS as a player here maybe Intel will come crawling back when they are about to make chipsets for Prescott.
(Only speculation)
Old 3rd August, 2002, 05:09 PM
Banned

Ya, thats not a war, just a (I hope) friendly debate

[FLAME ! FLAME ! ... Rdram = caca !!!] <---- Thats a war

Old 3rd August, 2002, 06:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by retrospooty

[FLAME ! FLAME ! ... Rdram = caca !!!] <---- Thats a war
And it sounds very stupid too
So now you know how to tell the difference between war and debate (Yes, Politicians are indeed modern warriers )
Old 3rd August, 2002, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Many people have successfully done a Turbo PLL mod to there boards giving them higher FSB options.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 3rd August, 2002, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst

Many people have successfully done a Turbo PLL mod to there boards giving them higher FSB options.
OH YEA
Got a link, to a howto???
Swiftech Water Cooling