AOA AOA AOA Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th August, 2002, 04:50 PM

High Vdimm effect?

Will high Vdimm damage a memory module even though the module deosn't run hot?
What side effect does high Vdimm have?
Old 8th August, 2002, 08:47 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

This is a really good question actually. I'm kind of curious myself since I have 2 machines running at 3.0V.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th August, 2002, 09:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Maybe people running high voltages could tell us how long are they running this voltage, and what cooling is applied.

Also, the ones who burnt memories could tell their stories .
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th August, 2002, 09:40 PM

Mine has been at v3.1 since I put the Thermaltake on, I has been around a month, it is the one in my sig, I am no tech but

http://www.thermaltake.com/images/pr...ActiveMemo.jpg

http://www.thermaltake.com/images/pr...ctiveMemo2.jpg
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 8th August, 2002, 10:09 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I had one Crucial PC2100 256MB go bad on me after about 5 months at 2.8V. It's the only one though. I have 3 others that were purchased at around the same time that are still running fine. I've had one stick at 3.0V for about a month. Another stick, which was the replacement for the one I returned after it went bad, has also been running at 3.0V for a little over a month. My Samsung PC2700 512MB has been running at 2.8V for the last 4 months. I'm not concerned with the stuff running at 2.8V. If the sticks will survive 3.0V for a while, I'm willing to up them to 3.1V-3.2V to run at CAS2. I would like to hear that someone has been running 3.1V-3.2V CAS2 for a couple of months before I do it though.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 9th August, 2002, 12:51 AM

I bought my 256mb PC2100 from Crucial direct so if it goes bad they get it back.
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 9th August, 2002, 01:43 AM

i had 2 go bad after 6 months at 3.2

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 9th August, 2002, 02:18 AM

I've been running my memory for over a year at 2.9v

Of that year, about 1/3 was spent running at 3.0v. All memory is Crucial PC2100 and has Thermaltake heatspredders onboard...
Old 9th August, 2002, 03:01 AM

Well, as long as the module doesn't run hot, it'll always be ok. My room temps are always low and I had my Crucials PC2100 running fine @ 3.2V for about a year.
Old 9th August, 2002, 03:13 AM

Thats a really stupid thing to say M8, there is no way of predicting what the voltage will do to your individual stick of ram.

At the mo i've been running my winbond at 2.9v, but it won't even run stable at 133Mhz(just got an locked t-bred so been messin giwth low MHZ) with out 2.8v, just likes the higher voltage, whereas a lot of sticks don't like the higher voltage, they actually run better at under 3v. ITs all a gamble.

Personally, i'd run at 3.2v all the time if i needed to, its not like i'll be using the same mobo, ram or anything else by then. .

As for heat, not always the biggest factor in it. High voltage damages elctronic components in several other ways, that won't let you know its happening, unlike getting to hot.

Sorry m8, risk for ya to do it, if you can scrape together money for new ram if it should go wrong, then go for it, if you can't then go with slightly lower performance. Whenever i can't afford to replace something, it doesn't et pushed to the limit until i can.

T-bred@2.0Ghz | GS GF4Ti4600 | 512MB Win DDR400 |Chieftec Full Blu Audigy |40x cdrw | DVD 16x | 90GB of HD's | 550W PSU | Frog
Watercooled, kinda!!!
Old 9th August, 2002, 03:43 AM

Drunken master is absolutely right, to say that if its not getting hot it wont be damaged is very silly.
Its not heat that kills things its voltage.

My memory ran with a 80mm fan blowing over it and was allways well cooled yet it still failed.

It didnt fail totaly at 3.2v it just slowly became more and more unstable and I had to clock it lower and lower. When it was new it would run 172mhz at 3.2v fast timings totaly stable. But over time it needed slower FSB to keep stability even at the increase voltage, after 6 months it wouldt even run 166 at 3.2v, i had to drop back to 150 to get stability.
It also needed 2.8v to run at 133 fast timings (although it would run 133 normall timings at 2.5)

This is with crucial running micron chips, micron chips do well with high voltage, id expect samsung to fail more quickly than micron.

Im not going to run my corshair over 2.8v as I want it to live a long life.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 9th August, 2002, 09:19 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by drunken_master
Thats a really stupid thing to say M8, there is no way of predicting what the voltage will do to your individual stick of ram....
Since some people are offended more easily than others, I have to ask that you try to exercize a little tact. I don't disagree with the point you are trying to make. Anytime you go outside rated specs, you expose components to additional risks that were never accounted for in the design process, and have a higher risk of failure.

In fact, I had a stick of crucial 2100s go bad on me while running stock voltage (140FSB) .. go figure.
Old 9th August, 2002, 09:50 AM

Sorry Stevie, it just really gets on my nerves when people say stuff so wrong, but in a matter of fact way that might make other people htink he is right.

When i don't know if somethings correct or not i generally say what i thik to be true, say i don't know for sure and ask anyone else who might know to confirm it, or to say its total carp.

T-bred@2.0Ghz | GS GF4Ti4600 | 512MB Win DDR400 |Chieftec Full Blu Audigy |40x cdrw | DVD 16x | 90GB of HD's | 550W PSU | Frog
Watercooled, kinda!!!
Old 9th August, 2002, 10:02 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Sorry Stevie, it just really gets on my nerves when people say stuff so wrong, but in a matter of fact way that might make other people htink he is right.

When i don't know if somethings correct or not i generally say what i thik to be true, say i don't know for sure and ask anyone else who might know to confirm it, or to say its total carp.
I wasn't going to say anything... I agree with your point, and my first reaction was abit sensitive. But it's easier to get a person to understand they might be wrong if they don't feel.... I think you know what I mean. :nervous: :nervous:
Old 9th August, 2002, 10:13 AM

yeah, np m8, plus i just realised i have to be nice to ya as you ssem like good back up for the next AMD v Intel debate 22.5Ghz. Nutter.

Only just spotted that, in about a day i'll have 3.6Ghz athlon, and 0Ghz Intel.

Watercooled, kinda!!!
Old 9th August, 2002, 10:19 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
yeah, np m8, plus i just realised i have to be nice to ya as you ssem like good back up for the next AMD v Intel debate 22.5Ghz. Nutter.

Only just spotted that, in about a day i'll have 3.6Ghz athlon, and 0Ghz Intel.
Sweet.
BTW, believe it or not, the last time the HDD died on me (IBM 60GPX, 'nuff said) my son's mobo died, and my daughter's was being assembled... You can never have enough back up machines.
Old 9th August, 2002, 10:51 AM

I'm guessing you have about, waht 9-11 machines, makes my one dissasemmbled at the mo backup seem a little poor. Methinks i need a job.

or methinks ou should send me 2 of those machines, you know, to spread the cost of electricity.

Watercooled, kinda!!!
Old 9th August, 2002, 11:02 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
or methinks ou should send me 2 of those machines, you know, to spread the cost of electricity.
Nice try
Actually, I've only got 6 machines in my house running ATM... 2 in pieces waiting for fixes or upgrades, and 3 more too old to do anything with. The rest of the farm is spread out.
Old 9th August, 2002, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Nice try
Actually, I've only got 6 machines in my house running ATM... 2 in pieces waiting for fixes or upgrades, and 3 more too old to do anything with. The rest of the farm is spread out.
Dang farmerz

Put up a fence to keep them from getting spread out

If I happen to see one of those onez that are spread out it is going on the grill with some garlic salt:-D
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys