AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th August, 2002, 04:57 PM

8K3A+ and Corsair PC3000 problem here

I am unable to boot (boot screen freezes) my machine when I use a setting above "NORMAL" for my memory timings. Everything works fine when set to normal but anything above that won't work.

I have increased the the volts to the memory up as high as 2.9 and changed the Precharge (TRD) and Active (TRCD) to 3T without any benefit. I even slowed down some of the other settings and played around with it a little.

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

I have:
8K3A+ w/2812 bios
Athlon XP 1600+ (AGOIA) unlocked but not overclocked
Corsiar XMS 3000 (1 stick of 512)
Western Dig. WD800JB
Asus V8200 Deluxe (GeForce 3)
Win XP Home

Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited by up2Tim; 24th August, 2002 at 05:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2002, 03:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to retrospooty

Re: 8K3A+ and Corsair PC3000 problem here

Quote:
Originally posted by up2Tim
I am unable to boot (boot screen freezes) my machine when I use a setting above "NORMAL" for my memory timings. Everything works fine when set to normal but anything above that won't work.

I have increased the the volts to the memory up as high as 2.9 and changed the Precharge (TRD) and Active (TRCD) to 3T without any benefit. I even slowed down some of the other settings and played around with it a little.

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

I have:
8K3A+ w/2812 bios
Athlon XP 1600+ (AGOIA) unlocked but not overclocked
Corsiar XMS 3000 (1 stick of 512)
Western Dig. WD800JB
Asus V8200 Deluxe (GeForce 3)
Win XP Home

Any ideas?
Thanks
It should definatly work at that speed, I used to have one. MAybe you just got one of the poorer perfoming ones. Since you are at default speeds I assume your FSB is 133 and your Ram is at 166... Try to set the ram back to 133 and see if it works. If you are not using a fast FSB your extra memory bandwidth is wasted anyhow, with Athlons, the FSB and Memory speed need to be equal.
Old 25th August, 2002, 07:31 PM

It looks as though the GeForce 3 isn't playing well with the faster timings. There's some kind of conflict happening there. It's funny that I used the same video card (Asus V8200 T2 Deluxe) with the 8KHA+ and didn't have any problems running memory at TURBO.

Watchdog points to the display and when it's loading up as the problem and some people over at Amdmb forum have also reported similiar problems with the geforce 3 and the 8K3A not being able to run the timings above NORMAL. I wish I had a GeForce 4 to help isolate and verify that this is the cause.

I thought about bumping it back to 133 from 166 and seeing how it works but I haven't tried it yet.

It's not as though my system is slow set at normal timings. In fact I am well pleased with this setup. It's very responsive and the quickest setup I've had so far (the 8meg cache on the hard drive contributes a little to this).

I may try to contact Epox and see if they have heard anything in regards to the GeForce 3 causing probs with 8K3A+.
Old 27th August, 2002, 12:44 AM
Banned

I Have the same Problem with the Bios 02812 und 02815. Please test with the 02719. This is the last Bios which will work at 9,5x176 @ VDIMM + 0,0. The 028 12/15 will not work at 10x167 @ VDIMM + 0,4. I don't like the new BIOSES !!! More Peaple then me have the same thing at hight FSB but not all ... I hope Epox will fix it (I think they do it, because the support is the best i have ever seen ..)

Last edited by Lextul; 27th August, 2002 at 12:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!