AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th August, 2002, 07:42 PM

Anyone running 8K3A+ and GeForce3 have probs above TURBO?

With my 8K3A+ rev1.2 I am unable to run my memory (Corsair XMS3000) above NORMAL timings. I have another thread discussing this.

At first I thought it might be a memory problem but now I am leaning towards the video card (Asus V8200 T2 Deluxe geforce3) conficting with the mobo some how.

Everything in this system worked fine with the 8KHA+ set at TURBO. The only thing I changed when I upgraded was the mobo and memory.

Has anybody else here had a problem running their memory timings above the NORMAL setting on the 8K3A+ while useing a GeForce3 video card?
Old 25th August, 2002, 08:21 PM

Im running GF3 (elsa) 8k3a+ and Corshair 3200 at 193 turbo with WPCRedit tweaks.

Im pretty sure this is a memory problem as opposed to a Graphics issue.

Does increasing the Vdimm help ?

Im running mine at 2.9v at the moment.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2002, 09:33 PM

I've tried Vdimm as high as 2.9 w/o any benefit. I haven't tried any higher than 2.9.

Over at Amdmb forum someone mentioned that his system works fine at higher timings with any card except the Geforce 3. He reports similiar problems as I'm having.

When I use settings higher than NORMAL my system locks at the Welcome screen when booting in Win XP. Sometimes it will get as far as the desktop but the taskbar will not load properly then the system locks.

Watchdog reports problems that look like Nvidia related things. I can't remember the exact language in the report and I can't seem to find the log file.
Old 26th August, 2002, 01:38 AM

OCZ PC3200 works fine

I use a GF4 Ti4200 and OCZ PC3200 memory at Turbo. It works fine if you up the voltage to 2.8v.
I have never had any problems with this setup, I would guess it's the quality of the memory. I know everybody knocks OCZ's memory, but mine runs fast and stable.

Good Luck
Bob
Old 26th August, 2002, 12:12 PM

You could try the tweak mentioned in this thread. I've heard that the BIOS setting that this particular tweak addresses may be fixed in the latest BIOS, but that was unconfirmed to the best of my knowledge. The problem effects GF3-TI200's mainly.
Old 27th August, 2002, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Harryc
You could try the tweak mentioned in this thread. I've heard that the BIOS setting that this particular tweak addresses may be fixed in the latest BIOS, but that was unconfirmed to the best of my knowledge. The problem effects GF3-TI200's mainly.
Thanks Harry,

It seems as though that did the trick.
Opened up WPCRSET and entered: Bus- 0, Device- 1, Function- 0, Register- 40, Data- 81.

Now it runs at turbo but Unreal freezes after a few so I set back TRD to 3T and TRCD to 3T and it's okay so far.

I'll see how it runs like this and play around with it a little tommorrow.
Old 27th August, 2002, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by up2Tim

Thanks Harry,

It seems as though that did the trick.
Hey good deal, I am glad it worked. Out of curiosity, what version of Epox BIOS are you running?
Old 27th August, 2002, 07:23 PM

I'm using the 2812 bios, Harry.

I tried the 2815 but got some restart issues so I went back to 2812. I might go back and try the 2815 again when I have a little time to fool around with it and read some of the threads of those whom are using it.

The WPCRSET trick did allow me to boot at Turbo setting but my system still wasn't stable when put to the test (3DMark and games). It still wanted to lock up. When it locked up I decreased my memmory timings until it was stable again but my 3DMark scores went down considerably so I disabled WPCRSET and got my scores back to 8100 to 8400.

I'll keep checkin things out and maybe Epox will come up with something because I think this is an issue that should and could be fixed.

Despite this I am very pleased with this system.
Old 28th August, 2002, 01:57 AM

Well, don't give up. I had heard the latest BIOS fixed the GF3-TI200 issue, but hadn't seen definative proof. I can tell you that the BIOS tweak has worked wonders for others in your boat. Maybe you are looking at a combination of issues. Is there any way that you can swap your RAM?.
Old 29th August, 2002, 02:30 AM

I do have some PC2100 that I could stick in there and see what it does.

I was reading THIS article by Microsoft and it has me wondering if this might be a VIA problem. The article is pertaining to Win2000 but, if I'm not mistaken, WinXP is very similiar to 2000.

I just installed the newest 4in1's (4.42) but haven't had a chance to check anything out yet. I did run 3DMark and didn't see any improvement in scores but it seems as though the graphics are a bit sharper (it may just be me).

I'll keep messin around with it and something will come up. I know I said it before but this thing is workin nice set at NORMAL it just bugs me that I can't get it higher.

If you run into something let me know Harry, I'd muchly appreciate it.