AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th August, 2002, 04:39 AM

Question my HDD is pretty slow....

i only got 16524 with sisoftware sandra 2002 file system benchmark, it is slower than the refence mark(U100 30G HDD), any ideas???

oh...btw, i m using the lastest via 4in1 driver(4.42).

xp 2100+ no oc
512mb 2700 ddr ram
8k3a ver1.1 bios 2815
maxtor 6L040J2 U133 40G 7200rpm 2mb cache
win xp

Last edited by AMD FANZ; 29th August, 2002 at 12:30 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th August, 2002, 08:06 AM

SISOFT SANRDA

Grrrr.....

The HDD bench is rubbish why does anybody use it ?

Download HDtach for a propper HDD benchmark.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th August, 2002, 10:18 AM
Banned

There's a couple of things that can cause this. Do you have your cdrom hooked up to the same cable as your hdd.? This will slow your hard drive down. Anytime you have two devices on a ribbon cable it will default to the slowest speed regardless of how you have things set up in your bios. Ex: 7200rpm hdd and a 5400 rpm hdd. The 7200rpm will default to the speed of data transfer of the 5400 rpm hdd. Works the same way for cdrom and hdd.
Also go into your device manager, click on Ide ata/atapi controllers. Right click on primary ide controller, then click on properties. Then click on advanced settings. If your hdd is on the primary master the current transfer mode should be 5 if so your fine. If it happens to say pio mode then click on the bring down window thats above this and select dma mode and reboot. Dma mode should speed up hdd by 50% over pio mode which is for cdroms. Windows xp has a problem somtimes with having the correct mode selected for devices. So it's a good idea to check this. Also make sure the ribbon cable is a double data rate cable. Hope this helps ya.
Old 28th August, 2002, 01:25 PM

Never trust SANDRAs HD Bench scores.......
If you see always use an stock image file size for bench...same size with your ram size and this cant be a reall bench for a HD....

Try a more complex benchmark appl..........

Dimitris..........

DFI 939 SLI DR
2Χ1GB GSKILL HZ PC4000
Sound Blaster AUDIGY 2
Sound Blaster Megaworks Speakers 2.1 250D THX / 300 WRMS
ALBATRON 7900GTX 512MB@700/900
System Powered By OCZ 600W
===========================
Limits do NOT exist
Old 28th August, 2002, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ikester7579

Also go into your device manager, click on Ide ata/atapi controllers. Right click on primary ide controller, then click on properties. Then click on advanced settings. If your hdd is on the primary master the current transfer mode should be 5 if so your fine. If it happens to say pio mode then click on the bring down window thats above this and select dma mode and reboot. Dma mode should speed up hdd by 50% over pio mode which is for cdroms. Windows xp has a problem somtimes with having the correct mode selected for devices. So it's a good idea to check this. Also make sure the ribbon cable is a double data rate cable. Hope this helps ya.

my current transfer mode is Ultra DMA mode, but not U DMA 5, how can i change it to UDMA 5?(but my bios shows that my hdd is UDMA 5)

btw, my hdd is a stand alone device on the pri ide channel.
Old 28th August, 2002, 06:29 PM

heh

I had problems with my 8k3a+ and my normal ide controller with winxp...winxp detects my seagate ata100 5400rpm like a udma4 hd...i tryed all kind of via drivers and patches..Via ide busmaster drivers & program...but gives me problems with my dvd drive and the burst rate for the hd sux with it...then i tryed Via Ide Filter and works good...try it and post results
Old 28th August, 2002, 08:47 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

In sysoft, there are a few things that greatly impact performance. First, file fragmentation kills scores.. Second, file system... NTFS is significantly slower than FAT32... I have the same model maxtor, and if you are using NTFS, it's not that bad.

The best score you can get is if you format, load the os, and imediately run the test.
Old 29th August, 2002, 04:46 AM

Defrag your harddrive, that ALWAYS makes sandra benchmarks better.

And, Ikester7579, that is one of the biggest myths, but it is untrue. The only case where it will deafult to the lower speed is if you are transfering between the two devices, but for normal transfers, HD to RAM for example, it doesnt make any difference weather you have a slower drive on the IDE channel or not.

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 29th August, 2002, 06:26 AM
Banned

This is what I have been told by the guy who fixes my pc. Besides I did a test to see if this were true. I timed the boot up and loading of certain programs with and with out the cdrom hook to the same ribbon cable as the hard drive. You know what? It took between 30-50% less time in both the boot up and the loading up of certain programs with the cdrom disconnected. I did this test on windows 98se because I know windows xp prefetches certain programs which could effect the test I was doing. Everytime same result. If you want to do this on xp you have to disable prefetching and clear the prefetch folder.
Now I do not know if this was a mobo problem, bios problem or hardware problem. But with all the new stuff coming out this problem could have been solved in what ever catagory it falls into with an upgrade. So it may not be out there with the newer pc's.

Amd fanz. As long as it says dma enabled your ok. Windows xp just can't figure out what mode your hardrive is in thats all. Your bios is controlling this since it says mode 5. You could try uninstalling your hard drive driver then reboot and see if theres any difference. Sometimes drivers don't install right the first time.

Last edited by Ikester7579; 29th August, 2002 at 06:31 AM.