AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2002, 04:35 AM

Spot the weakest link in this OCing conundrum *update- it works!

Hey all, I've got this OCing problem with my system and I can't figure out which component{s} is/are to blame. First and foremost, here are its specs:
  • Athlon XP 1800+ AGOIA stepping, first letter of third line is "9"
  • Epox 8K3A using 2815 BIOS
  • 1 x 512Meg Mushkin PC2700
  • ATI Radeon 8500LE 64Meg using 7008 BIOS
  • Sound Blaster Audigy OEM
  • Promise Ultra100 TX2
  • 3Com 3C-905C NIC
  • 3 x 7200RPM hard drives
  • Pioneer DVD-115HA
  • Lite-On LTR-16102B
  • Antec SX1080B with TruePower 430 PSU, fans:
    - 2 x 80mm Sunon 32dB intake front
    - 1 x 80mm Antec intake side of case over the vid card
    - 2 x 80mm Antec exhaust out of rear
  • ThermalRight AX-7 using Mechatronics 53CFM 80mm fan and Arctic Silver 3
  • Windows XP with SP1 and all of the latest drivers for hardware

After getting Windows XP installed and all of the drivers & programs situated, I took down some temperature and voltage readings using USDM. Idles were taken without activity or very little (browsing, e-mail, etc.) and loads were taken after at least 30 minutes of running Prime95:

CPU temp in Celsius (idle, load)
38-42, 55º

System temp
28º

VCore voltage
1.74, 1.70-1.73v

Vdimm voltage
2.560, 2.544-2.560v

+3.3 voltage
3.22, 3.18-3.20v

+5 voltage
4.921, 4.894v

+12 voltage
11.856, 11.795-11.856v

I noticed that the voltages looked pretty droopy, so I got in contact with Antec to see if I could RMA and hope for some better readings. The replacement unit had the exact same readings. After that I figured it would be okay to live with because it did seem stable, but I always kept this in mind for later. So I decided to do some overclocking and go through my usual procedure by bumping the FSB up a few notches (in this case it was 3MHz). POST, boot, Windows appears to run fine and I again test with Prime95. Same results as stock, no errors after long testing. So knowing this was supposedly a good stepping for OCing, I took her up to 142MHz FSB. POST, boots halfway, BSOD. Slightly discouraged, I jacked up the voltage to 1.775 in hopes of maybe getting somewhere. This time she gets all the way to the welcome screen, but crokes there. I tried gradually volting it up to 1.9v (the highest I’d plan on using) and there was no difference made. Then I set the memory clock to the 133MHz option (which I assume syncronizes with the FSB). It made no difference. Even more disappointed, I brought her down to 140MHz at default voltage. POST, boot, BSODs within seconds. Tried jacking up the voltage, and every notch bought more time, but she would always BSOD. So I took it down to 139MHz at default voltage. POST, boot, runs okay for long periods but errs within minutes of starting Prime95 and randomly restarts without warning/BSODs (especially in games). So I juiced her up to 1.775v and it ran stable, long Prime95 sessions went along nicely. I then thought of lapping the heatsink to maybe aid in cooling. Went to Pep boys and got some 600, 1,000, 1,500, and 2,000 grit sand paper. Proceeded with the lapping and made it a mirror finish, took out all of the machined marks and it was gorgeous. Reassembled the machine and fired her up. To my surprise the temps did not budge a single degree. So I ran it at that config for a few weeks with no problems. Games were running fine, my vid card OCed nicely to 300/305. I observed and noted that voltages and temps remained the same as at stock speed (except for VCore of course which ran around 1.75-1.76 idling and 1.72-1.74 under load).

Then I decided to unlock the multiplier and deal with a 1600MHz CPU but have the FSB syncronised with the memory at a cool 166MHz or more. I got the Highspeed PC unlocking kit, and it made the procedure very simple. I got the stripes right on the second try. Excited, I fired ‘er up and switched the multiplier around with the FSB at 133MHz to make sure the unlock worked. With a big smile, I observed the multiplier change effortlessly to any in the range I desired. I eagerly switched it to 9.5x166, set the memory to 133MHz, and hit save and exit. No POST. With my jaw in-hand I cursed the OCing gods for this punishment which I could not figure why in the heck had been dealt to me. Again, I checked and tweaked voltages, memory timings, anything I could think of that would be relevant to the OCing. No dice. I tried lowering the multiplier. Still, the dice would not roll in my favor. I tried 150MHz FSB with a 6.0 multiplier. Still no POST.

So with this all in mind, I figure one or more of these are at fault:

- CPU (brick wall at 1600MHz)
- Mobo (brick wall at 139MHz FSB)
- PSU (voltages not looking too good) try a different brand?

Unfortunately, I don’t have any compatible spare parts or friends who own compatible parts to troubleshoot, and I am of limited funds. I was thinking of first RMAing the mobo as it wouldn’t cost much, but I wanted to consult you guys before taking this step and see if anyone’s had similar problems and found it wasn’t the mobo.

If anyone can offer advice, suggestions, or a pat on the back, it would be much appreciated. And sorry for the long post, but I had to put down what I’ve tried & think is wrong, so I decided to make it into a semi-storyline

edit- update, it's working!! All the details below!

Last edited by PliotronX; 24th September, 2002 at 10:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2002, 04:50 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought I had a good unlock of the cpu, turns out I didn't. I use the Highspeed kit as well.

What I did was take the cleaning solution provided in the kit and swab the whole top of the cpu down, most of the gold letterings on top are grounded if I recall, not sure if this did the trick or if I actually did a better job of "unlocking" on the second try, but everything worked great after that. I also was using an Epox 8k3a at the time. The cpu was a XP1800+.

Good Luck.
Old 20th September, 2002, 07:18 AM

I don't know... at 166fsb, and a lower multiplier, all the components should be within spec (pci divisor of 5 is on the board) The power looks to be OK, so it's probably the board. Strangely, I've never before heard of anyone having trouble getting this board to 166, so I don't know...
Join the revolution! Eliminate floppy drives forever! Buy a $20 compact flash reader and a couple CF cards. These come in internal designs that you can put in a 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" bay, as well as external! Encourage motherboard manufacturers to include this with their boards. It's a cheap PCB, folks. It shouldn't add more than $5 to the cost.
Please feel free to copy this and put it in your own sig.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2002, 08:01 AM

Whoa, remarkable how similar a situation and the components Silvermane, I'll try reapplying the unlock.

Thanks for the info, Caffinehog. If redoing the unlock doesn't help, I'll RMA 'er then!

Thanks for the responses
Old 20th September, 2002, 10:38 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by PliotronX
Whoa, remarkable how similar a situation and the components Silvermane, I'll try reapplying the unlock.

Thanks for the info, Caffinehog. If redoing the unlock doesn't help, I'll RMA 'er then!

Thanks for the responses
RMA what ?
Old 20th September, 2002, 10:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Maybe your memory can't handle higher FSB speeds ?

Try adding voltage to the memory to see if it helps...
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 21st September, 2002, 12:17 PM

sounds to me like you got a HDD or you need to lower ram timings or something that doesnt enjoy High speed, you need to unlock and run over 166mhz so that everything is in spec, most HDD and some soundcards hate the PCI speed over 38mhz.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Old 21st September, 2002, 07:29 PM

WD Harddrives in particular.....
Old 22nd September, 2002, 04:23 PM

Cool open psu

look for pots, crank up the voltage.

i, too was having some issues with the 3.3 leg, it gets its power from the 5 volt leg on Epox setups.

so i opened the main psu up (Sparkle 400), founds pots, adjusted both 5 and 12 to higher outputs, i actually do this very carefully while running the sucker with the cover off (be really carefull, okay???) and looking at the voltages in the bios until they reach an acceptable level. made a big difference.

my method is not reccemmended for the clutzes out there, serious zappage can occur, use a good insulated screwdriver and locate the pots first with the psu discharged. discharging is easy, unplug powercord, hit the on switch, watch fans spin momentarily, proceed on.

that Antec should have pots, and not all psu's have them.

good luck, be careful.

i have done this for several customers that had infrequent problems even with their super stable Intel setups i assembled three to five years ago and the added voltage has cured the ills every time.

just don't go wild with the adjustments, 12.80 and 5.20 should be enough as seen in the bios, minimum load values will be less (ie, machine actually running the OS).

too much on the 5 volt line can jack the 3.3 to 3.6 or more, so you have be very carefull or video card life can be severely affected.

i can only stress, BE CAREFULL, be safe, stay alive.

b

Old 23rd September, 2002, 05:24 PM
EPoX Tech

Messing with the pots oft leads to burnt out PSU and mainboard - it is not recommended - just use a good quality PSU in the first instance.

RMA is not covered by such.
Old 24th September, 2002, 10:47 AM

Thumbs up Yesss!

Hi all, sorry for the lack of response, my sinuses were flaring up all weekend, and I couldn't imagine my shakey hands doing a better job on the unlocking (let alone dealing with "nasal discharge" dripping in not-so-convenient places!) so I stayed in bed.

Tonight I took my baby apart and redid the unlock, and I set 'er to 9.5x133MHz to see if it worked and she booted fine. Then I set it to 9.5x166MHz and I attached the results

EPoX Tech, if it hadn't worked out, I was going to RMA the mobo and see if it was the problem. I lucked out and I must say this board is a work of art

nfrenay, thanks for the suggestion, I had tried juicing the poor thing up to 3.1v and it wouldn't budge =\

MiGGinZ & K6-III, how'd you guess I had two WDC drives?? That's probably why it wouldn't run stably over 139MHz! I'm going to do some troubleshooting with these drives in this case. By leaving one of the three in at a time, maybe I can isolate it to just one drive to replace. Thanks for the advice

bldegle2, thanks for the info, I was thinking of trying this, but I've read some discussion about pot tweaking and a user named "AntecCSR" on both the AT and {H} forums recommended against pot tweaking with the TruePower PSUs, and I'm afraid of screwing it up (I'm curious for future reference, how can I make sure my screwdriver is insulated?). I was eyeballing a 300W Sparkle PSU for $25-30 which I wouldn't be afraid of screwing up. If the HD troubleshooting doesn't work out, I might try this.

EPoX Tech, thanks for the heads up. I'll be responsible and avoid RMAing if I do kill my board (makes my eyes water just thinking about it!).

Again, thanks for the help all
Attached Thumbnails
Spot the weakest link in this OCing conundrum-happyathlon_sm.png