AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th September, 2002, 03:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

I'm having some problems with 40.52 here... I haven't had enough time to test further, but UT2003 demo is pretty much unplayble... There are white textures flashing everywhere and it's very slow (20-30FPS on that outside terrain DM map).
The image is so bad it's unplayble...

Other D3D games are suffering from flashing screen also, but it happens like every 20 seconds... In UT2003 the textures are bad every second...

I hope they fix this is the official release...
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2002, 04:09 PM

Mr T,

I also had problems w/ corruption in games w/ the 40.41's...this is why I was curious how he made out w/ the 40.52's...sounds like you're making out fine

If nvidia can give us stability along with that nice performance increase the 40.41's, we'll be set.

As I read nfrenay's post tho, it doesn't look too promising, hehe.

Sorry to get OT, Holst This thread's chock full of gr8 info.
| AXP 1600+ AROIA "Y" @ 1950MHz, 10x195 | EPoX 8K3A KT333, 2815 BIOS | 256MB Samsung PC2700 @ 195MHz, Cas2 | 64MB Abit Siluro Geforce4 Ti4200 @ 335/641 | D-Tek Spir@l | Via Aqua 1300 | Chevette Heatercore & Dual 120MM 64CFM YL-Tech's w/ Shrouds in Push-Pull | No V-mods |
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2002, 06:38 PM

The 2912 bios is interesting. Super PI was the same at 212 as at 200 hovered around 52sec. I didn't keep testing though.
Unfortunately that 8K3A+ experienced the bios and boot up screen corruption at about 215 memory fsb.

SANDRA scores were let's say better. You need to hit the high fsb to achieve them though. I'll try produce a snap shot once I put that comp together again. (due to slight hiccup) Actually I broke 3K on Ram floating bench. Efficiencies for me were 96% int, 88-89% float.

As for the 40.52 drivers well I don't really play many games at the moment. So I can't say. 3Dmark was an improvement. Nature got about 3 fps better in the final results at default clocks. I can't say anymore at the moment apart from seeing a peak of about 160 or something -on the setup I used. Also the 40.52's have clock throttling as well. Not quite as bad as 40.41's.

In my opinion, both are worth using.
Old 25th September, 2002, 07:06 PM

I also got my highest sandra memory at over 3000 with this bios, thats at 211 WPCRedit tweaks (very unstable though, wouldt run 3dmark or pass superPI) but as sanrda memory isnt very good as a stabilty test I could get high scores.

SuperPI for me was also about the same as ever (56 seconds i think as im still "only" at 1900mhz on my xp-1600)

I might try a Vagp mod to see if i can get this thing running at 220fsb, depends if i have time before TEC arrives.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 25th September, 2002, 08:32 PM

Can anyone here using the 29?? BIOS post your result on Sandra's memory bench using 200MHz FSB ?

With 2812 I get ~ 3000Mb/s at 200MHz at TURBO except for 1 settings (listed on my signature)...

Also if possible a comparision between 28?? and 29?? at same clocks and maximum clock achievable with each BIOS ?

This would be good for other people to judge what BIOS is better...

Thanks !
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 26th September, 2002, 12:36 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to retrospooty

Quote:
Originally posted by nfrenay
UT2003 demo is pretty much unplayble... There are white textures flashing everywhere and it's very slow (20-30FPS on that outside terrain DM map).
The image is so bad it's unplayble...

Other D3D games are suffering from flashing screen also, but it happens like every 20 seconds... In UT2003 the textures are bad every second...

I hope they fix this is the official release...
I had that flashing issue too... only happened when I didnt use fsaa, try it on 2x and see if the flashiong stops. The driver is plenty fast enough to run it that way anyhow on a 4400
Old 26th September, 2002, 01:01 AM

Retrospooty: You're right... Enabling 2x FSAA solved the image problems, but it was pretty much unplayable at 40-25FPS with only 1 BOT...

Hope nVidia fixes this bug and maybe increase the performance...
Anyway I'm not satisfied at all with UT2003... It's too slow for what it is... I can't see anything revolucionary... It looks like a UT (1999) mod... (It's based on 1999's UT engine so what could I expect... )
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 26th September, 2002, 05:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Retrospooty: You're right... Enabling 2x FSAA solved the image problems, but it was pretty much unplayable at 40-25FPS with only 1 BOT...

Hope nVidia fixes this bug and maybe increase the performance...
Anyway I'm not satisfied at all with UT2003... It's too slow for what it is... I can't see anything revolucionary... It looks like a UT (1999) mod... (It's based on 1999's UT engine so what could I expect... )
hmm... something isnt right here. It runs fast as hell for me, my system is pretty similar to yours... what res are you running at? how about other driver and game settings? What are your textures set at in the game.
Old 26th September, 2002, 05:35 AM
Banned

BTW... I run it at 1280x1024 at 2xAA (no aniso. filter) , in the game all settings are max quality , except "detail textures" is unchecked and texture detail is one down from max. Its really fast, how can I get a FPS reading to test ?
Old 26th September, 2002, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
.. With a higher FSB, I think you stress much more your components, like memory and chipset, and also PCI/AGP devices suffer from the big overclock.
How so? With a 1/5 pci divider?

No stress to agp/pci devices whatsoever.
Old 26th September, 2002, 05:19 PM

Runs beautifully on my Matrox Parhelia with Trilinear and 16XFAA at 1024x768 with all options cranked....
Old 26th September, 2002, 06:54 PM

Here are some snaps I took before.

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~lord/Su..._2912_8k3a.jpg

The memory was at most aggressive settings including 1T command. I might try slightly more relaxed settings and higher fsb. Won't worry about the boot screen corruption....

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~lord/XP_214fsbSANmem.jpg
Old 26th September, 2002, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
I also got my highest sandra memory at over 3000 with this bios, thats at 211 WPCRedit tweaks (very unstable though, wouldt run 3dmark or pass superPI) but as sanrda memory isnt very good as a stabilty test I could get high scores.

SuperPI for me was also about the same as ever (56 seconds i think as im still "only" at 1900mhz on my xp-1600)

I might try a Vagp mod to see if i can get this thing running at 220fsb, depends if i have time before TEC arrives.
Hmm the Vagp mod sounds interesting. I remember reading something that was posted here a while ago.

On the 8K3A+ I'm using it sit's around 1.57-1.58. Perhaps getting it up to 1.6-1.65 or so?
Old 26th September, 2002, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZigZagZeppelin

How so? With a 1/5 pci divider?

No stress to agp/pci devices whatsoever.
You know that at 200MHz FSB your PCI is at 40MHz and AGP at 80MHz right ?
Bumping it to 215 would result in 43/86MHz respectively...

I don't know about you but I think this can be considered a LOT on PCI devices....

---------
RetroSpooty:

I will try changing those settings now...
PS: I think the command to bring FPS display is "stat fps" or "stats fps"... I can't remember exactly... Just press TAB and type this... Or type it in the console...
---------
LORD: What BIOS and what FSB are you using to get these speeds?
Can you please give more complete specs?
Thanks...
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 27th September, 2002, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:

You know that at 200MHz FSB your PCI is at 40MHz and AGP at 80MHz right ?
Bumping it to 215 would result in 43/86MHz respectively...

I don't know about you but I think this can be considered a LOT on PCI devices....

---------
RetroSpooty:

I will try changing those settings now...
PS: I think the command to bring FPS display is "stat fps" or "stats fps"... I can't remember exactly... Just press TAB and type this... Or type it in the console...
---------
LORD: What BIOS and what FSB are you using to get these speeds?
Can you please give more complete specs?
Thanks...
Ok i did it, (now using the 40.71 driver) running around in Antalus at 1280x1024 at 2xAA (no aniso. filter) , in the game all settings are max quality , except "detail textures" is unchecked and texture detail is one down from max I get between 55-70 avg(usually its about 60) with 6 bots
Old 27th September, 2002, 06:18 AM
Banned

Ok the new driver at nvidia.com (40.71) solved the flashing issue. the same setup w/ no AA It has no flashes, I get between 80-105 FPS
Old 27th September, 2002, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LORD

Hmm the Vagp mod sounds interesting. I remember reading something that was posted here a while ago.

On the 8K3A+ I'm using it sit's around 1.57-1.58. Perhaps getting it up to 1.6-1.65 or so?
I can get through post just fine although windows crashes when i run a program at 220fsb. I think my memory is maxed out.
Using a radeon 8500 AGP tearing isnt as bad as with a nvidia card.

i recon with some better memory and a few mods I can run at over 215 (my current limit) Im "only" using corshair 3200 cas 2.5 not the newer winbond based cas-2 stuff.

Old 27th September, 2002, 02:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Hygge

Lord>>> It was me who posted a thread on the "agpmod"! I´m giving my R8500 1,60v. It gave me a more stable agp and Gfx-card, when I´m using bios versions with the fast cpu command enabled.
Old 27th September, 2002, 04:11 PM

Holst,

If my results are anything to go by and you place better memory in you should hit higher unless something else were to limit you..

I could run at 220. This was with all aggressive settings except Active to Precharge- 6, Dram Com-2T. Boot up screen had some corruption. I also ended up corrupting the OS after changing the Pre-charge to 5T and Command rate to 1T at 220 with a higher multiplyer than pictured below. So, look's like my mem was maxed then.....

I didn't try higher fsb because the 2912 bios, seems to limit settings. I'll let the images explain further.

Hygge,

Were you able to clock the card higher as well?
I'll have a look once again through the threads. Although I recall the pics were blurred. Perhaps if you remind me of the exact location on the board and values of the resistor used.

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~lord/XP_220fsbWCPUID.jpg

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~lord/XP_220fsbSANMEM.jpg

Old 27th September, 2002, 04:58 PM

Would you mind benching using PC-mark rather than sandra.
Sandra is too dependant on CPU speed to allow any usefull comparison between your box and mine.

If i get time this weekend ill Vagpmod my board and write a guide up with some high res pics, it dosent look like a hard mod to do just increase the feedback pin resistance for a few more volts.