AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2002, 05:29 PM

I'll do some PC Mark once I re-install programmes. That OS was getting tired anyway. Also I might put in another partition for benching purposes. Maybe W2000.

My point was of the efficiences going down percentage wise. I'll see if it makes a dfifference once I clock the chip up higher again.

At 220 if the bandwidth numbers remained constant we could have some serious performance happening. Of course as long as 3D will work....

Some good pics of the AGP mod could speak a thousand words.

Cheers,
Old 27th September, 2002, 06:23 PM

Here are my results
Attached Thumbnails
Something for 8k3a users to play with-3d-scores.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2002, 03:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Hygge

Lord>>> I was able to clock my card a little higher. But most of all, I got stability.
I can see that Holst will do a guide about the "agpmod" for the 8K3A and with good pictures. I'll be looking forward to it!
Old 28th September, 2002, 04:14 AM

more info
Attached Thumbnails
Something for 8k3a users to play with-3d-scores.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2002, 07:56 PM

Good score there Uncle Bob

Holst, here is a PCMARK I did, my friend:

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~lord/PCMARK2002.jpg
Old 28th September, 2002, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hygge
Lord>>> I was able to clock my card a little higher. But most of all, I got stability.
I can see that Holst will do a guide about the "agpmod" for the 8K3A and with good pictures. I'll be looking forward to it!
I did the VAGP mod you posted but it didnt do anything at all.

Added some resistance to R469 using a 1k pot, even increasing the combined resistance of R469 to 1.8k (from 800ohms) made no difference to the AGP voltage.

Im definstaly running AGPx4.

Can you provide some more clarification on what you did exactly.

I cut the track between R469 and the chip U39 then added a 1K cermet potentiomiter between the two, I verified the resistance was changing with a multimeter.

Heres a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Something for 8k3a users to play with-doneclose1.jpg  

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 28th September, 2002, 09:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Hygge

I don't know what you did wrong! What you did seems to be correct according to the picture. I CAN change my agp voltage (just upped it to 1.62V). I'll try to post some pictures of my mod tomorrow.
Old 28th September, 2002, 10:22 PM

I know why, ive made a very stupid elementary mistake.
Trying to be too clever.

The resistor next to 496 also had a track to U39 via the track i broke. That track has been replaced by my potentiomiter, this means im also altering the resistance of the other resistor.

Ill just have to alter my method slightly to fix it.

Old 28th September, 2002, 11:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Wow, nice soldering job Holst....

Hope you find a way to fix it soon ...
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 29th September, 2002, 01:02 AM

Ive worked it out.

I broke the tract between R468 and R469 and made another from R268 and U39

I now have ajustable VAGP, at the moment im at 1.6v
I think I can probably go upto about 2v with a 1k pot, although such a high voltage would be very dangerous indeed.

I think the best method will be to remove R289 completely and replace it with a 1500 - 2000 ohm pot, for stock voltage you want about 886 ohms, and more resistance = more voltage in this case.

The best potentiomiters to use are cermet pots like the one pictured below (UH23A - maplins code)
The advantage is that its a 22 turn pot, so you can get a very high resolution from it as there are 22 turns between 0 ohms and 1000, also it means its almost impossible to accidentally knock it (and its small enough to tape to your mobo when not in use)

Remember to insulate the other leg of the pot as its still live (i havent in this pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Something for 8k3a users to play with-pot1.jpg  

Old 29th September, 2002, 06:20 PM

Well done there Holst. I'll have a good look. See if it be worth doing the voltage mod. If you're able to run at 220 we'll have to develope a bios to take advantage of that speed.

Uncle Bob,
Or in case any one is interested this was a quick 3DMark. Maybe one of the last hoorah's for this Geforce 4. I'm thinking about an R9700..
I know the score is a bit low. All services are enabled and I didn't have any Register Tweaks. W2K would do a bit better as well. Maybe 500 points. That's what they say anyway.

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~lord/3D...0_15300_29.jpg

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4623050

Old 30th September, 2002, 04:19 AM

Wow, nice score! It's a ways outa my grasp now.

Old 30th September, 2002, 06:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Evc

Holy #&@$!! KICKASS score!!!!!!

Im interested now here, with this new BIOS, what exactly does it do different then the one I am using now. Not sure of the #, but its dated 06/19/2002.

Im running a 181FSB, I went for 190x9.5, but I got bootup screen corruption. Im using PC2700 OCZ Enhanced DDR.

Whats some good RAM that will hit a 190FSB, even 200+ would be nice. I want to get at least a 1.9GHz OC out of this AGOIA 2000+.
CPU:Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.1GHz / MoBo:Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 / RAM:2GB PC2-5300 / Graphics:BFG GeForce 780GT OC SLI / / Storage 1&2:Twin 250GB WD SATA2 16MB Cache / Storage 3:WD 160GB 7200RPM / Storage 4: WD 320GB SATA2 16MB Cache + 400GB and 250GB IDE in USB / DVD-Writer:Samsung SATA Lightscribe Multi-drive
Old 30th September, 2002, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Evc
Holy #&@$!! KICKASS score!!!!!!

Im interested now here, with this new BIOS, what exactly does it do different then the one I am using now. Not sure of the #, but its dated 06/19/2002.

Im running a 181FSB, I went for 190x9.5, but I got bootup screen corruption. Im using PC2700 OCZ Enhanced DDR.

Whats some good RAM that will hit a 190FSB, even 200+ would be nice. I want to get at least a 1.9GHz OC out of this AGOIA 2000+.
Bios you are using is 8K3A2619.bin. I can't say whether you will get a far better overclock on your ram. With the newer 2912 bios though. Try relaxing the timings and see if it boots higher.

Otherwise some of the Corsair XMS3200 c2 is good stuff even though it still uses the 6ns Winbond chips.

Getting 1.9Ghz on your chip entails having good cooling as well. If air cooling then I've seen the SLK 800 getting very good results.

Hope this helps,
Old 30th September, 2002, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Ive worked it out.

I broke the tract between R468 and R469 and made another from R268 and U39

I now have ajustable VAGP, at the moment im at 1.6v
I think I can probably go upto about 2v with a 1k pot, although such a high voltage would be very dangerous indeed.

I think the best method will be to remove R289 completely and replace it with a 1500 - 2000 ohm pot, for stock voltage you want about 886 ohms, and more resistance = more voltage in this case.

The best potentiomiters to use are cermet pots like the one pictured below (UH23A - maplins code)
The advantage is that its a 22 turn pot, so you can get a very high resolution from it as there are 22 turns between 0 ohms and 1000, also it means its almost impossible to accidentally knock it (and its small enough to tape to your mobo when not in use)

Remember to insulate the other leg of the pot as its still live (i havent in this pic)
Holst,

What are the results?
Do you have a more stable board now at higher fsb?
Can you clock the card higher without any artefacting?
Does it get rid of the boot up screen and bios corruption-aberrations?

Mod does look easy now with the pics you posted. Thanks for that.
Old 10th October, 2002, 06:36 PM

LORD..what bios were you using when you run that 3dmark? 2912? Do you have any idea what bios gives best score?
Old 15th October, 2002, 04:46 AM

I just came across this thread and tried 2912. So far I found it to be the best of the bunch... I'm going to try some 200+ FSB

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive
Old 15th October, 2002, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mascot
LORD..what bios were you using when you run that 3dmark? 2912? Do you have any idea what bios gives best score?
It was while using 2912. That one gave me the best results. By being able to run a higher memory fsb. In fact that setup would probably hit 16K when tweaked properly and using the right OS.

Also I did not do any register tweaks, which gave roughly a 2% increase in benchmarks like SANDRA.

Good luck.
Old 15th October, 2002, 11:13 PM

Quote:
using the right OS.
My findings with Windows 2000 is that it is slightly slower than Windows ME. It is also more sensitive to high overclocks. When I boot into ME with 199Mhz Turbo, I can complete 3dmark, in windows 2k (same settings/hardware/tweaked), it locks on Dragothic.
Gainward 6800LE 16x1,6vp @ 360/840
Windows 2000 Pro SP4
Old 16th October, 2002, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reejoc

My findings with Windows 2000 is that it is slightly slower than Windows ME. It is also more sensitive to high overclocks. When I boot into ME with 199Mhz Turbo, I can complete 3dmark, in windows 2k (same settings/hardware/tweaked), it locks on Dragothic.

Try B0/07 with WPCREDIT, or WPCRSET. Some have reported less lockups on Drago......

I had a go with W2k but not clocked up to max. Also preliminary testing found Det, 40.52 not as stable as 40.72 with 2K. Haven't got it sorted yet though.

I haven't got ME installed so can't compare. Triple boot is enough at the moment....