AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2002, 12:17 AM

Question AMD - Athlon XP 2200 + Thouroughbred' On An EPOX 8K7A+?

I`m thinking of buying a TB 2200+,can anyone confirm that they do work on the Epox 8K7A+ revision 1.0 ?

Also there are two types of Thouroughbred' Type A And Type B,do they both work or just type A?
Old 28th September, 2002, 05:06 AM

I don't believe it'll work as it doesn't work on the Abit KG7....perhaps with a new bios....

Maybe ET could comment????
Old 28th September, 2002, 03:07 PM

I would reccomend just getting a $53 1600+ AGOIA from newegg.com. I'm running mine at 1850Mhz with only 1.85 vcore and very low temps on air with an AX-7. Also I do believe that the 8K7A+ will support the 2200+ plus. Before I upgraded to an 8K5A2+, my 7A+ recognized my 1600+@1850 as a 2200+. I know the multipliers on the mobo only go up to 12.5 according to the docs, but since the 2200+ is hardwired to a 13.5 multilier, it should accept that. Be warned that the "A" model 2200+ run really hot...even at stock speed.

Hope this helps some...

Last edited by PrincessDie; 28th September, 2002 at 03:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2002, 03:56 PM

Hi,

the 8k7a(+) (rev 1.1) supports the AMD XP2200+, have a look at the CPU-SUPPORT.PDF at www.epox.org

or the news http://www.epox.org/temp_cgi/arc5-2002.shtml (look for xp2200+)

cya
Dandy
Old 30th September, 2002, 07:48 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

I emailed epox the same question and got this reply,i`ll paste it here,

*EDIT*
If you read the bottom of ALL e-mail from EPoX you will see that the post I just edited was in violation of YOUR non-disclosure agreement with EPoX. To do this again will cause you to be ban from this forum.

Last edited by Daniel ~; 30th September, 2002 at 07:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th September, 2002, 07:59 PM

Does nobody read the confidentiality clause at the end of there emails. Although in this case its not particually important.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 30th September, 2002, 08:23 PM

No i didnt read the end of the email and i didnt agree to any confidentialityagreement and really i find this quite ludicrous,i was just showing people what epox sent me in case they also were looking for the answer to my question.

I won't be posting on here again.
Old 2nd October, 2002, 09:41 PM

Quite right, another example of a stupidly overmoderated forum. Dont think I'll be bothering with this forum again either.

Englis was only sharing with others information he had gained, surely the point of the forum?
Old 2nd October, 2002, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleRain
Quite right, another example of a stupidly overmoderated forum. Dont think I'll be bothering with this forum again either.

Englis was only sharing with others information he had gained, surely the point of the forum?
The forum is fortunate enough to have members of EPox Uk's technical staff answering questions about the boards. As far as I know the only manufacturer to have such a direct link to the overclocking and tweaking community, as well as providing information and help with EPox boards.

Email sent from our technical staff contain a confidentiality clause we would appreciate that posters on this board read it and comply with it as a courtesy to ourselves.

Old 2nd October, 2002, 09:50 PM

There was no need for myself or ET to answer this particualar question as Dandy beat us to it.

Old 2nd October, 2002, 10:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

PurpleRain, Englis:

Your combined postage will be dearly missed. We have rules, we enforce them. This particular rule is an EPoX rule, therefore I don't interpret I simply enforce it.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd October, 2002, 10:34 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleRain

Its hardly over moderated here we only have one "moderator" and to be honest I consider daniel~ a friend, and thats why I hapilly follow his guidance etc. There are legal implications for discussing confidential things openly like this. True its not anything huge, but still. EPoX in their emails make sure that it is obvious the information contained within is confidential.

Im sorry you feel that you cant be "bothered" with us any more.

And englis, I've never signed anything saying I will obey the laws of this country. I am still subject to them merely by being here. It is much the same in your case.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 28th November, 2002, 11:22 PM

Hi all,

maybe it's a little late for this post, but I also have attempted to put XP2200+ on 8K7A+. According to Epox CPU support list, rev.1.0 of the mobo should support this CPU (Thoroughbred core). I have been able to boot several times and everything went OK, but after turning the system off and back on for several times, it won't even get to POST, and FF is displayed on the diagnostic LED on the mobo. I have taken out all PCI cards except AGP, disconnected the DVD and CDRW drives, removed the CPU, then put it back. The system booted normally. Then I added card by card, turning the system off and on each time. It went OK, but when all cards were installed, the same problem (FF on the diag display) appeared again, and it didn't even get to POST.
Prior to upgrading to this new CPU, I flashed the BIOS to 23.04. version. I don't know would the newest 29.05. version help, or maybe I should return to the previus version?
Before this I had Athlon-C 1.33 GHz and the system worked rock stable.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, King Elessar

Epox 8K7A+
Athlon XP 2200+
384 MB DDR RAM
Pioneer DVD116
Yamaha CRW3200
SB Audigy platinum
3Com 3C905B
Asus ISDNlink TA
Macase PSU ATX 300W
Old 29th November, 2002, 04:29 AM

I'd suggest the 2509 as others have even gotten the 2400+ to work with this bios.....
Old 29th November, 2002, 07:21 PM

It should work without any problems.
I used XP2200+ (A) with 1a17 bios and now i´m using 2304 bios.
I still have compatibility problem with Corsair memory so i´m runing now only 166x12.5.
Asus FX5900 @ 560MHz/990MHz.
Old 30th November, 2002, 10:35 AM

Tried booting the system several more times with all cards removed, but I still cannot get to POST, the FF is displayed on the diagnostic LEDs. My mainboard is an older revision, R1.0, and Epox says on its webpages that the newer revision (R1.1) supports this CPU.
Epox tech guys, can you clarify what is going on? According to CPU support table on Epox web, this revision of the mainboard should support XP2200+ Thoroughbred CPU, even with an older BIOS. My current BIOS is 2304, but it seems that the BIOS upgrade also affected the RAID controller, as it doesn't see drives connected to it any more (but from Windows XP, all drives are working....)
I noticed also a strange behavior from DVD drive since flashing the BIOS to 2304; the drive reads data very very slow. Before it was working perfectly (40x).
BIOS flashing went OK, there were no errors reported.

Now what can I do? I will try to test the CPU in some other mainboard, but that will take time...

One last request: is there a thorough and complete description of ALL the POST codes displayed on the diag LEDs? The website mentions five different errors are possible when FF or CF are displayed. Could you be more specific than that to help the people isolate the problems?

Cheers, King Elessar
Old 30th November, 2002, 04:47 PM

There are two previous threads relating to this.

Tanware got a TBred B 2400 on a 1.1 and I asked ET if they will support TBreds on 8K7a(+)

The answer from ET was not particularly conclusive

Quote:
There is no planned BIOS for this purpose yet as the board does not pass soak with these processors
I took the word "yet" as a good sign...

As for the moderation issue...
Moderators are there to protect the users of the board and to a certain degree this includes the EPoX Technical team.

But I am sure the NDA was not agreed by Englis before and definately not after the mail. If EpoX customer support supplied information to a customer, then that information is not secret or commercially sensitive and as such could be made public without any adverse effect to anyone, especially not EPoX for being so responsive to their customers.

If anything, the fact that they want AOA to enforce the possiblly illegal NDA puts EPoX in a worse light and has alienated loyal posters to this board and customers of EPoX

Not what EPoX or AOA want, I am sure

Last edited by HakMe2Deth; 30th November, 2002 at 04:51 PM.