AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th October, 2002, 02:50 PM

Question Weird, 8KHA+, vid card related problem, HELP

Ok here's the deal.

My 8KHA+ board has been working fine for a couple of months with my GeForce 2 Pro in it. So, I decided to overclock the GF 2 Pro. After a couple of weeks my PC would boot up normally then all of a sudden lose video!! As in the screen goes blank. So I say to myself, maybe I overclocked the card too much and busted something.

So I decided to test the system with an old TNT 2 card. It worked fine and all. At this point I had to home to the province so my PC was left untoched/never powered up for 2 months. WHen I came back, I try to boot up, with the TNT 2 card in, I get 3 short burst beeps and can't boot into windows. I understand that those 3 short beeps mean a vid card error of some sort. I say to myself, But how can it happen to a perfectly working card??? So I reboot and reboot again and get the same 3 beeps until I finally got no beeps at all and a POST CODE of 25. Vid card related right.

So I was thinking maybe its just bad luck or it may be that the card is really old. Just bought a brand new GeForce 2 Ti (Saving up for a brand new RADEON 9700 or the upcoming Nvidia card) a few mins ago. Installed it..........everything is running fine for now.

In what I think is an unrelated incident: Everynow and then I leave my PC off for a long time and try to reboot, I get those 3 short beeps. This was when I had the GeForce 2 Pro installed.

I was thinking: Can a mobo destroy a vid card in any way??

EDIT: Any of you guys have any ideas on what the problem is???

Last edited by JayJay; 5th October, 2002 at 02:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2002, 05:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

"Award states that they now only use one beep from there BIOS. This beep is one long beep and then two short beeps. This indicates a graphics card problem. Any other beeps should be treated as a RAM problem first and then the board sent in to be inspected."

What does your LED readout give you?

How high is your fsb running?

How high did you o/c the vid card?

Does it run, even after you get the beeps?

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2002, 01:21 PM

Thats the beep i get. one long and 2 short ones.............

FSB has always been 133 only.....

Forgot how high I overclocked my GF2 Pro, but it was pretty high, mem was close to GF2 Ultra speeds, anyway I got a brand new GF2 Ti card to try now......

Sometimes it would run (GF2 Pro) after the 3 beeps.....

BTW my PC wont boot now!! Im getting a 7F error code, before getting this code, keyboard and mouse stopped working.....

Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy?????????

Thanks Orbit in advanced

EDIT: Im getting a CMOS checksum error now....but since the keyboard and board seems to have lost contact with each other, I cant get into the bios.....

Last edited by JayJay; 6th October, 2002 at 01:24 PM.
Old 6th October, 2002, 05:20 PM

Ah, after doing a little searching...
Another user experienced the same problem with both the 7F and the Checksum error - he tracked it to a bad USB Keyboard.

By any chance, are you using one?

As for the o/c the vid card... I don't do that anymore, personally, after toasting an older TNT card that was working fine until I decided I needed the 'perception' that I was going faster.
I figure my XP2000 cpu at a FSB of 145 pretty much does what I need it to do.

If you have the $$, I'd suggest getting at least into the GF3 range. I run a GF3 Ti200, my son runs a GF4 Ti4200, and even though the 3DMarks difference is about 2500 points difference, I couldn't really tell while I was gaming. A 'little' faster, but not worth the $135 I'd have to spend to upgrade my GF3.

Let us know if the USB K/B is the issue, eh?

Old 6th October, 2002, 06:24 PM

Npe, m using a standard logitech PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Checksum error is now gone for some reason. Im now able to boot up until the log on screen. Problem is that I cant log on because the keyboard (PS/2) doesnt work/lost communication with the board. THe mouse aint working too. Seems like both PS/2 ports have suddenly stopped working......

Funny thing: So I tried booting up with an USB keyboard and USB mouse I have here. I am able to get into the bios and enable USB keyboard and mouse support. Hence the keyboard is working at this point. But as soon as I get into the logon screen again, the USB keyboard stops working. But now the USB mouse works. Is that funny or what???
Old 6th October, 2002, 06:45 PM

What Im also trying to figure out now is: "WHAT CAN CAUSE BOTH PS/2 PORTS TO STOP WORKING????"
Old 6th October, 2002, 07:42 PM

That's becoming a good question.

If I were t/s this on mine, I'd probably check the following.

1: the obvious, are they plugged into the correct ports?

2: I'd clear the cmos with the mobo jumpers, and immediately go into the BIOS at boot, and choose Optimal Settings and reboot.

3: Then I'd go into the BIOS again, and very carefully check each screen. I wouldn't raise the fsb, and the mem timings would be moderate.
Under the Advanced screen, I'd make sure the Primary Initial display was AGP.
Under that I believe, (doing this from foggy memory now) is the USB Mouse and K/B boxes. I use a USB mouse but a PS/2 K/B, so I do NOT have a check in the Enable USB Keyboard support.

Another thing I would do is try to find a Microsoft brand mouse and K/B and try them. I used to use Logitech but found, oddly enough, that the MS branded stuff worked better with Windows, that there were always drivers, they worked in Safe Mode, etc... go figure.

If none of that worked, I'd take the board, k/b, and mouse into a local shop and have them test it.

THEN, I think I'd be seeing if I could RMA the board.... and good luck on that one. I don't think overclocking is supported if it kills a board, but that's between you and the supplier.

Maybe someone else has a good suggestion at this point, I'm fresh outta ideas.

Old 6th October, 2002, 08:43 PM

Thanks Orbit

Yep maybe I shud give that clear CMOS another try but not via the jumper but via REMOVING THE CMOS BATT AND PLACING IT BACK AGAIN......hmmmmm
Old 7th October, 2002, 07:49 PM

I have just been having this problem with my GF4ti4400 and Epox 8k3a+ cept I got a 26/27 error code then 7f, I took out the GF4 and put an old 4mb trident card in (blllaahh) and its fine, I was gonna RMA the GF4 but hopefully this can be sorted, Funny thing is though its worked fine for 4 months but I thought it could be a power issue as my 300w PSU has been straining for a while and putting out alot of warmth.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)