AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   EPoX MotherBoards (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/27-epox-motherboards/)
-   -   Soundblaster compat /w 8KHA+ ?????? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/1482-soundblaster-compat-w-8kha.html)

Feathers 25th November, 2001 02:00 AM

Soundblaster compat /w 8KHA+ ??????

Hi guys,
Well I have my 8KHA+ all installed and it seems to be working out fine. Thanks for the replies to my previous questions, I appreciate it.

After some time I have found out my old Diamond MX300 sound card is not completely compatible with WinXP so I need to get a new sound card.

My question is does anyone know if the soundblaster Live and Soundblaster Audigy cards are compatible with the 8KHA+ mobo??? I've heard rumors that the VIA chipset does not live well with soundblaster cards. Any thoughts????

Thanks,
JimK

Holst 25th November, 2001 03:45 AM

I havent had any problems with my board and a soundblaster live value.
I did hear rumors about a bug too although ive not seen anybody who has definately had a problem.

Im running win2k so it might just be a XP thing.
Although to be honest i think that some supposed "bugs" with XP are just people who are blaming XP when the problem is elsewhere, after all its very easy to blame MS for every slight bug.

As for what card to get the Soundblaster 5.1 is very cheap if you buy OEM. Im not sure if the audigi is worth the extra cash as i dont need a firewire port and a slight improovement in audio quality wont matter to me as im no audiphile.

Feathers 25th November, 2001 04:19 AM

holst,
Thanks for the reply. From what i have read there is some sort of compatibility problem with certasin VIA chipsets and soundblasters. In some combination of these two things the csound card makes loud crackling and popping sounds. I've seen this problem referenced in several reviews so far but i have not actually seen an article directly talking about it. so how wide spread the problem is and with what combination of soundblaster cards and via chipsets, i have no clue.

I was looking at either getting a SB live5.1 which sells for something like $32 or perhaps the audigy gmaer which sells for $85. The hercules XP looks great and has great reviews too. Oh decisons, decisions.

Take care and thanks again,
JimK

proze 25th November, 2001 07:35 AM

i don't have any issues with an 8kha and sblive value in windows xp. works perfectly, but i had to download the driver update for the live. the ones with xp only give very basic functionality.

out of the three cards you mentioned, i'd almost be tempted to go with the gametheatre xp over the live or audigy. it has the break-out box and all. sweet card that one!

FRANK 25th November, 2001 01:53 PM

I've got a Sound Blaster LIVE! Platinum 4.1 on my 8KHA+ dual boting to WIN 2K and WIN 98SE, no prooblems with either operating system when using the correct drivers. I would expect the same results on WIN XP.

Feathers 25th November, 2001 05:02 PM

Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate it.
Take care,
JimK