AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   EPoX MotherBoards (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/27-epox-motherboards/)
-   -   8RDA+ onboard sound vs. sound cards (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/16093-8rda-onboard-sound-vs-sound-cards.html)

turbo510 23rd March, 2003 08:54 PM

8RDA+ onboard sound vs. sound cards

How many of you are using a sound card instead of 8RDA+'s onboard audio? I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and wondering which one would be theoretically better since I've heard that onboard sound on 8RDA+ isn't too bad.

Maelstrom2160 23rd March, 2003 11:26 PM

up2u on what sounds better, im using a audigy2 cause it suits my setup alot better than the onboard chip, huh funny thing is my system gets a bit jittery when i overclock but when i use my audigy2 instead of the onboard chip it cuts down the slugish behavior a fair bit

Kuja 23rd March, 2003 11:59 PM

8rda+ analogue out < SB Live < Audigy < Santa Cruz < Audigy 2

Santa Cruz might beat an Audigy2 as well. I hate the 8rda+ sound, it has really bright highs and the EQ causes distortion.

ronnuke 24th March, 2003 03:38 AM

It is really a subjective thing.....

Each listener will have differing opinions but my opinion is that the onboard sound of my 8RDA+ is as good or better than a Soundblaster Audigy....I don't have any knowledge of Audigy 2's however.

MasterAtArms 24th March, 2003 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maelstrom2160
up2u on what sounds better, im using a audigy2 cause it suits my setup alot better than the onboard chip, huh funny thing is my system gets a bit jittery when i overclock but when i use my audigy2 instead of the onboard chip it cuts down the slugish behavior a fair bit
I bet this is due to sharing IRQs!

Mark099 24th March, 2003 09:09 AM

I sold both my Audigy and Santa Cruz after hearing soundstorm. I am not saying that the nForce2 audio is better, but that it did a fine job for my needs.

Chris`I 24th March, 2003 11:01 AM

I dont have first hand knowledge, but from mates with all these cards we rate it

SB Live < Audigy < 8rda+ analogue out < Audigy 2 (just)

BRiT 25th March, 2003 02:10 AM

My ranking based on sound quality would be:

sb-live < sb audigy <= nForce2 SoundStorm < Audigy2

I have a SB Live, Audigy, and Nforce2 SoundStorm. I use the SoundStorm on my main system. I do not have an Audigy 2 to try out.
However, the ease of use and installation on top of the complete lack of issues of the nForce2 SoundStorm may even put it preferable over Audigy 2. I've had numerous issues (sound stutters, lockups, squeel of death, drivers killing the os) with any and all the SB products. I've had none at all with the SoundStorm.

There's a lot to be said about being completely stable and hassle free.

Just my take on things...

Genius 25th March, 2003 02:26 AM

My Audigy works flawlessly without APIC.

p0opyfac3 25th March, 2003 11:49 AM

how could anyone like the soundstorm over an audigy? i have an audigy and 8rda+ and i pick audigy anyday.... i heard the soundstorm on my old asus a7n8xdlx and it just plain sucked.... (using digital)

Aedan 25th March, 2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by p0opyfac3
how could anyone like the soundstorm over an audigy? i have an audigy and 8rda+ and i pick audigy anyday.... i heard the soundstorm on my old asus a7n8xdlx and it just plain sucked.... (using digital)
Presuming you're using an AC3 digital connection, then the quality and noise issues tend to come down to your decoder. Although the APU can encode AC3 audio, it's unable to provide the decoding hints that really make AC3 shine. This is basically due to the realtime nature of the setup - AC3 done well isn't done in realtime!

Additionally, if you're comparing an Audigy running in 2 channel PCM mode to an APU running in 5.1 channel AC3 mode, you're rather comparing apples to oranges!

Áedán

bradmax57 25th March, 2003 01:17 PM

I had an Audigy on previous board and simply can't tell the difference between that and the onboard? One thin though I cannot oc anywhere near with an audigy in as I can with onboard?

RuKuS 25th March, 2003 08:18 PM

I have an Audigy and have tested them both (soundStorm and Audigy) in my system. I ended up staying with the onboard sound.

Not only does it sound very similar, it also has the feature to activate my center channel, which was doing nothing with the Audigy. That alone was enough for me to choose the SoundStorm over the Audigy. I like to have all my speakers working, it makes a big difference.

I understand that the Audigy2 also now has the feature to emulate 5.1 to use the center channel as well through CMSS, but that feature should have been available with the Audigy as well.

I have an Extigy (USB 2.0) also and it comes with the CMSS feature for center channel. It also came out at the same time as the Audigy, so I feel Creative sold out by not adding CMSS to the original Audigy. :mad:

Coheed 26th March, 2003 03:51 AM

bradmax, do you mean you cannot oc as high with the audigy in, or you cant oc as high using onboard?

muzz 26th March, 2003 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maelstrom2160
Have you put any cooling on the southbridge, or tried what Genius did?

bradmax57 26th March, 2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Coheed
bradmax, do you mean you cannot oc as high with the audigy in, or you cant oc as high using onboard?
Cant OC as high with it in? I blew part of my on board sound (got no front left) somehow? I think it was when I did my vdd mod on my 8rda, anyway when I put audigy and at 200fsb it didnt have any sound back at 166 it was fine?