AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   EPoX MotherBoards (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/27-epox-motherboards/)
-   -   Can't get 8KHA to post (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/2663-cant-get-8kha-to-post.html)

Shelton 30th January, 2002 12:54 PM

Can't get 8KHA to post

Hello there,

you may have read another thread where I had a BIOS flash that failed and my reseller "Hot Swapped" my BIOS chip to rectify the problem.

I haven't managed to get the board to boot into the BIOS since getting it back. I sent it back to the reseller and they have tested the board saying it booted into BIOS 20 times.

I KEEP GETTING POST CODE FF no matter what I do ?

Running the board out of the case on my desk with just graphics card, memory, CPU and cooler attached I still get FF. I have tested all of the other components on another machine and all work (Except CPU).

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated......

EPoX Tech 30th January, 2002 01:54 PM

I believe that this is the mainboard you voltage modifed ?

Shelton 30th January, 2002 02:06 PM

Yes,

modded using a fixed 220K resistor to ground. Allthough before I flashed the BIOS was working fine for some time.

Does it sound like I've killed the board ?

Shelton 1st February, 2002 09:57 AM

Did another test last night. I borrowed a friends ASUS motherboard and fitted it to my rig. Guess what, no post.

I've tested the memory, graphics card, power supply and now motherboard so I can only assume my shiny new XP1900 is damaged.

What are the symptoms of a damaged chip ?. My machine doesn't boot into the BIOS at all (Posts FF).

nullCRC 1st February, 2002 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shelton
What are the symptoms of a damaged chip ?
Oozing brown stuff, burn marks, etc. Did you take a magnifying glass and look at the core and see if any damage is there, or chipped off places from HSF mounting?

EPoX Tech 1st February, 2002 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shelton

What are the symptoms of a damaged chip ?. My machine doesn't boot into the BIOS at all (Posts FF).

In the case of a damaged chip - usually no visible signs can be seen, however the FF on the mainboard is always apparent when the processor is dead.

Shelton 1st February, 2002 04:19 PM

Thanks guys I'll check Tonight, I'm begining to wish that I hadn't unlocked that chip, there goes my warranty......

edthesped 1st February, 2002 06:32 PM

I had an MP1800 fail on my 8KHA+ after about 2 weeks. I replaced the chip and all is fine. BTW, there were no visible signs of damage to the chip.

EPoX Tech 1st February, 2002 06:44 PM

Feel for me - I'm setting up a Vapochill as we speak

Holst 1st February, 2002 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Feel for me - I'm setting up a Vapochill as we speak
Oh no...AMD are going to have to step up production to cope :)

Good luck m8

proze 2nd February, 2002 09:54 AM

hehehe.. how many chips was it last time, et? a good few, if i remember correctly. ;)

EPoX Tech 2nd February, 2002 02:53 PM

I've just gotten back up and running an hour back. I walloped a XP 2000+ and a MP1800.

I'm now running a MP1600 at 1700MHz on another 8KHA+ (at least this one isn't covered in Silicon) using a Glaciator instead of the Vapochill. Last time I was so succesful - this time not.

At one temper filled point I ripped the modifications from my graphics card (not saying what that card is) as the second processor went.

I had to get a Taxi into the office first thing this morning after drowning my sorrows to get a reinforcement MP !!! Luckily these MP's are probably the most friendly AGKGA's there are.