AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   EPoX MotherBoards (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/27-epox-motherboards/)
-   -   Cold Boot and 8K3A+ (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/5380-cold-boot-and-8k3a.html)

Srper 17th May, 2002 07:47 AM

*Cold Boot and 8K3A+*

I am still occasionally having the cold boot problem, even with the 2415 bios. I thought this was resolved.

It only happens once every fifty times (once a week), I start the computer, the fans spin, led lights up, no post, and no video. I hit the restart button and she fires up fine. I have tried two different PSU's (Antec 400W and Enermax 350W). Different sticks of memory in different dimms, running mainboard out of case, etc. Any idea if this is a concern in the upcoming bios updates or betas?

Srper 17th May, 2002 07:52 AM

See components below.

Srper 17th May, 2002 08:03 AM

BTW, I am very pleased with the performance of the board. To run 185fsb with turbo settings gets flying. I just want more stability when I am running her at defaults for everyday use.

Another thing I found interesting is that running 133/166, the memory scores are unimpressive. The async feature creates a bottleneck and does not perform. I like to run her at 166/166 (10x166) with fastest settings (not turbo), default voltages, and 66/33 agp/pci. Her memory scores equal the RAMBUS scores (@2500).

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3460902

MasterPooBaa 17th May, 2002 09:27 AM

cold boot issue.

i got a minor cold boot issue tonite when i came home.

turned on my PC to find that watchdog had for some reason disallowed my current overclock conditions (9x166 @ 1.95v).

wonder why... nothing was wrong with them and the shutdown was nice and orderly like usual the nite before.

ahh well. ill just turn watchdog off :)

bigbear 21st May, 2002 09:31 AM

Mime is 8k3a V1.0 so I dont have any led's to look at.
I tried not O/C and stripped down my system but still has the problem. I tried most of the bios (latest offical bios and the last 2 beta bios) but same result.

Below is the cut&paste from Epox Tech:
I am sure that this is not a bug of the BIOS, otherwise we would have had a lot of complaints regarding this.

Provided that your memory is good, setting it to read from SPD should be all that is necessary - there is no need to make unneccessary alterations to the BIOS which may confuse or worsen the issue at hand.

I have Crucial PC2100 256Mb sticks here which we have tested in 8K3A with BIOS from January right through to May with no problems regarding stability or SPD information being gathered by the mainboard. I feel therefore very confident that the mainboard is not the issue here.

Krys 23rd December, 2002 07:40 AM

I seem to be having the same issue but its alot more frequent. Has anyone made any progress on this issue?

Krys.

Dagalidis 23rd December, 2002 11:35 AM

Try latest BIOS......

Dimitris.........

MasterPooBaa 24th December, 2002 01:21 AM

cold boot probs.

Well its been many months now, and despite trying numerous bios flash versions i still get from time to time my boot freeze problem... but as allways i just fix it with a reset button push while its in warmup phase.

sometimes its at cold boot, once while recovering from a failed OC it was during a warm boot.

Ive just accepted it as part of the computa.

admajic 24th December, 2002 01:39 AM

I have too noticed this problem with my new Tbred. Didnt have the problem before on my Palamino.

Has cold booted fine a few times but mostly have to hit the reset key, and away she goes. Im useing the BIOS dated 1/11/2002.

Side note: I wish my Corsair RAM was 100% stable at Turbo settings at 185 FSB. It is for say 2 hours of gaming but then hangs!! What Voltage you running through the RAM???

MasterPooBaa 24th December, 2002 02:21 AM

bug

No, ive had it both with my 1200C, my XP1800+ and my new TbredA XP1700+.

Someone suggest its cauz my video card has got a slow bios or soemthing strange. I dunno.

I have 1 x Corsair 512Mb XMS3200 Cas2.5. And im running at 167Mhz @ Turbo timings everything maxxed out @ 2.6v

Strangely, running the ram with the 1T command rate isn't 100% stable unless i use 2.6v... even down at 133mhz.

but 2.6v... very very good.