AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   EPoX MotherBoards (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/27-epox-motherboards/)
-   -   These Voltages OK? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/940-these-voltages-ok.html)

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 05:25 AM

These Voltages OK?

1 Attachment(s)
Yo EPoX Tech, these alright?

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 11:45 AM

Ok, did some checking around and sort of answered my own question. I see other users with higher voltages and no problems. I see a few folks even have voltages like +3.6 on the +3.3, and +5.40 on the +5.00! Scary, ain't it!

Would more voltage be benefitial, or do you think these voltages are good enough? Can you give us some maximum/minimum voltage figures to live by for each rail? What type of voltages are these motherboards actually engineered to live with?

And is my thinking that more volts gives me more power correct, or is this flawed logic? It has always been my understanding the the size of the MOSFETs and the number of MOSFETs, sets a PSUs maximum amperage in stone, and that increasing the voltage increases the power(AKA watts). Am I thinking correctly, or do I need to lay off the crack and go back to school?

Phiber 28th October, 2001 01:40 PM

Re: These Voltages OK?

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
is that under full load?
i think it would be because your CPU temp is 40C
if thats full load it wouldnt really matter if it is 5.16 but if their is an adjustable pot on your pSU u can turn it down a bit

Aphex 28th October, 2001 02:41 PM

:)

those voltages are fine and far from dangerous :)

Apparently if u have a slightly higher 5v line u get more Vcore

Playing with the pots in ur PSU is dangerous and not advisable unless u got something like a sparkle

Conrad

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 06:48 PM

I would never twist my Sparkle 350 were she likes it . . . . not me . . . .

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 09:00 PM

Ok guys, I see a bit of a problem. I was asking very specific questions, about the engineered limitations of the board. I was addressing a very specific person, one who I know is a qualified engineer. I know I've jumped in a few times myself when it's not really appropriate, so this is something I feel we all could work at. Lets try to think a little more before we post, I know I'm going to try to.

It's not that I don't appreciate the help, but you help wasn't too helpful really. I knew I was in no immediate danger with the voltages, if I even thought I might be I wouldn't be running the machine. I was asking a pro to outline real world limitations, not asking everyone to outline what they feel the limitations are based on there working knowledge. While much of the time the answer to those two questions doesn't vary too much, I was specifically seeking cold hard facts, not guestimations and speculation.

Sorry if this sounded like a flame, cause it really isn't meant to be one. Please take this as constructive criticism.

Reaper out . . . .

Aphex 28th October, 2001 10:41 PM

Quote:

Is that the same as

Quote:

I was asking very specific questions, about the engineered limitations of the board.
im not sure that that is as specific as you class your questions to have been, however point taken

perhaps people asking questions need to be a little more constructive in there posts as well? just my 2 pence for you

Conrad

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 11:05 PM

I don't think it's fare to isolate the first of two consecutive posts, but I see your point Conrad. I probably wouldn't have said anything at all if you and Phiber had posted before I posted my second post. My main reason for posting my little rant was that this is a problem I have seen through-out this topic, wasn't really trying to pick anyone out, but after re-reading my post It kind of sounds like I was. I apologize if anyone took offence.

I heard from EPoX Tech the other day via E-mail, and he expressed similar concerns to me about hobbyists responding to questions that were directed toward a professional. It's only natural for people to want to help, he recognized this, but I could tell it frustrated him a little. And now being on the other side of things, seeking a response exclusively from a professional, I can say that this side of the fence is quite frustrating as well.

I think that as you pointed out, it wouldn't hurt for those asking questions to more clearly outline who they wish to respond. I think I might take this approach myself in the future.

Aphex 28th October, 2001 11:11 PM

no problems and no offence taken, perhaps there should be some posting guidelines m8?

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 11:26 PM

Not a bad Idea IMHO, but it certainly is not up to me to produce such guidlines. If Daniel and EPoX Tech decide that guidlines are needed, they will have no trouble producing them I'm sure . . . .

proze 29th October, 2001 10:08 AM

jeff, i see where the frustration comes from, but this is the way i see it: you can't really have a forum where only one person is allowed to reply.. that's getting too dictatorial. it's completely possible for someone who is not "working in the industry" per se, to answer a technical question if he or she has the knowledge. i'm not saying that this is the case in this post, because here it was a specific question that needed a specific answer, but you get my drift.

i do agree completely, however, about people making "well, you might sort-of, maybe be right, and i heard this and this and this" posts, when they don't actually know anything about the topic at hand.
was that 2c, or more like 4c? ;)

dimmreaper 29th October, 2001 10:50 AM

Proze, I see your point too. It's probably just me getting in a twist over nothing again. I need to quit trying to quit smoking I think . . .