AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

View Poll Results: Should AOA have its own UT or other gaming server for its members?
Yes, UT is awesome and I'd play! 14 66.67%
NO!! Not a good idea at all! 1 4.76%
NO!! But maybe Diablo. 0 0%
NO!! But maybe Quake. 2 9.52%
NO!! But maybe Half-Life 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th November, 2001, 10:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I'm so old school that I only play Doom . . . .

. . . . and when I started overclocking, the term "overclocking" had not yet been coined . . . . It was just kind of like, "hey what happens if I put this jumper to '66MHz'?" . . . . . In fact, in those days the internet was new, and only those in urban area's could get "online" without making a long distance phone call . . . .

. . . . ahhhh, the good ole days . . . . .

BTW- that only playing Doom thing was a joke, I play Q2 and Q3 too. I'll probably buy a new graphics card just for Doom3 when it comes out.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2001, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
BTW- that only playing Doom thing was a joke, I play Q2 and Q3 too. I'll probably buy a new graphics card just for Doom3 when it comes out.
Me too, hopefully a Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500 if the driver support improves by then.
Old 7th November, 2001, 12:17 AM

I'll probably go with an Nvidia solution for Doom3. Nvidia takes a brute force approach that complements AMD machines well . . . Also I hear too many ATI driver nightmares . . . . If only 3dfx were still with us . . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2001, 12:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
... If only 3dfx were still with us . . . .
They are, just as digested remnants .

I'm not convinced the nvidia cards will outperform the ATI cards in Doom 3... ATI included advanced pixel shaders and Directx8.1 support, and based on the good drive of Radeon 8500 sales in the last month and competitive pricing, I think developers' hands were forced and we'll see those advancements true to only the ATI cards being supported in the coming games.

I suspect, on this one at least, only time will tell.
Old 7th November, 2001, 04:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

They are, just as digested remnants .

I'm not convinced the nvidia cards will outperform the ATI cards in Doom 3... ATI included advanced pixel shaders and Directx8.1 support, and based on the good drive of Radeon 8500 sales in the last month and competitive pricing, I think developers' hands were forced and we'll see those advancements true to only the ATI cards being supported in the coming games.

I suspect, on this one at least, only time will tell.
they just have to put out good drivers...
Old 7th November, 2001, 05:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman

yeah... seems to be their sticking point of late .
Old 7th November, 2001, 06:13 AM

Quote:

I'm not so sure they are capable of that . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 7th November, 2001, 06:38 AM
eobard

Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Demo now, full version later. The End.
Old 7th November, 2001, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Demo now, full version later. The End.
That game is pretty fun too . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 7th November, 2001, 08:19 AM
eobard

Second version is just different enough from the first demo to make it a bit awkward though.
Old 7th November, 2001, 11:45 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber
COUNTERSTRIKE ALL THE WAY!!!!
if need be i can set up a server
on my P3 500 512K with 256MB and 7200 ATA100 hdd?
(btw- for the final winner*but dont blame me if the UT server accidently fails *)
I think Strike Force would be more appropriate. I don't bother playing counterstrike as there's just too many ppl itching to ruin a game.

AidanII
Old 7th November, 2001, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

I think Strike Force would be more appropriate. I don't bother playing counterstrike as there's just too many ppl itching to ruin a game.

AidanII
There's nothing to say you can't have both, I was only willing to help get one going. There will be minimal requirements, like 24/7 availability and support (dynamic dns for home users, dedicated ip for other types of server setups), but nohting strict... I just don't want to post a sticky or make reference to an AOA affiliated site that is up/down all the time, it doesn't reflect well on the forums.

Phiber has been nice enough to say he'd host the UT server, unless of course someone else wants UT and Phiber wants the Half-Life...

Don't worry about details. Continue voting and we'll work out the specifics later. The key right now is to determine level of interest.
Old 7th November, 2001, 11:42 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Second version is just different enough from the first demo to make it a bit awkward though.
There's a second version?

Sweet!

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 7th November, 2001, 11:52 PM

I have a 450amd k6-3 with 384mb of ram that never turns off. I turn it off maybe once a month. I may be willing to let you guys use it if you need it and it doesn't kill my bandwith.
Old 8th November, 2001, 12:02 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
I have a 450amd k6-3 with 384mb of ram that never turns off. I turn it off maybe once a month. I may be willing to let you guys use it if you need it and it doesn't kill my bandwith.
Ummm, can you even run UT on a 450mhz K6-3

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 8th November, 2001, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

Ummm, can you even run UT on a 450mhz K6-3
The server software doesn't run UT, per-se. It runs a program that just transmits the signals between the PCs, it's really just routing software, your PC is in charge of running UT.

I think MRPCMAN's offer is great... need to find out if there's enough Counterstrike (or whatever flavor) players for a second server, then need to get Daniel's blessing to call it an AOA server / use the AOA name in conjunction with it, and we'll be good to go... Phiber can run counterstrike/etc on his if he wants, I think he plays more Half-Life anyway.

Will it eat your bandwidth? Not much, think average packet size for a connected player is less than 1KB... the quality of the connection determines the playability, which is why modems are so lousy since their average pings are well over 100ms.
Old 8th November, 2001, 09:15 AM

well, my average ping time is ~30-40 seconds. As soon as I build my new system in the next month, this 400@450 won't have much use except to do rc5, dvd and mp3's, so I should be able to dedicate it to the cause..Depending on cash flow though, I may have to keep this system as my main working system since right now it's alot more stable than my 1.4 tbird with radeon.... It hasn't frozen up on me once...
Old 8th November, 2001, 01:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

well give me all the crap and tell me when to set her up!!
CounterStrike it is.
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 8th November, 2001, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber
well give me all the crap and tell me when to set her up!!
CounterStrike it is.
I don't have a clue, played counterstrike a couple times 6+ months ago... for server software someone else will have to help, but as it's looking right now, UT will be the only server being supported (only 4 responses for CS is not enough to support another server).

I'm going to give this until Friday 12 midnight, at that time I'll contact Daniel (hopefully he's up and about then) and get permission to use the AOA name, send either MRPCMAN or Phiber the UT server files, and go from there.
Old 8th November, 2001, 11:21 PM

my systems on alot, but for the next few weeks I'll be on it alot too, so I suggest setting up phiber first and then me later.