AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th November, 2001, 04:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to wyrlwyn

q3a and ut under windows xp

hay, i'm having trouble trying to get quake 3 arena and unreal tournament under windowsxp. i have a voodoo5 and quake 3 seems to run under software mode, and ut won't even load under the glide settings, so, my thought was the need of glide or opengl files...
so, where could i find these drivers, and if thats not the problem and its just a ****y graphics card, what kinda card would i get to play games at 90+ frames per second under windows xp?
Old 19th November, 2001, 04:15 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

According to many hardware sites, Best Buy will be selling the Visiontek Xtasy 6564 Geforce3 Ti200 for $100 after mail-in-rebate on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I am most certinaly going to pick one up, at that price it is a bargain. That is what I would recommend, simply on price. It will kick arse in both UT and Q3A and includes the DX8 features for newer games. I can not wait until next friday. As for the Voodoo, XP has no official support for it. Supposedly, there are unofficial drivers that suck a$$ but work somewhere on the net.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2001, 09:01 PM
Banned

Windows XP and voodoo cards aparently don't get along 100% of the time... if you've exhausted trying different drivers, you may be out of luck... there are not a lot of people trying to use 3 year old hardware on 3 week old operating systems, so Microsoft's willingness to make XP compatible with legacy voodoo equipment just isn't there.
Old 20th November, 2001, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to wyrlwyn

well, i have found a few modified drivers, they give great ut proformance, and quake 3 works fine, as long as you don't change the visual settings or exit the game!! i've had a few other problems as well, quake 1 locks up when you exit it, but strangly enough, quake 2 works fine...
i think it may be time to give in and buy a nvidia xp supported video card, besides, i'm building my girl a gaming system, and the voodoo5 works fine under windows 98, so, i'll just give it to her.