AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

View Poll Results: official UT or Wolfenstein server?!
Wolfenstein 10 62.50%
UT (Unreal Tournament) 6 37.50%
Neither/Other 0 0%
No need for any game server right now 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January, 2002, 05:40 PM
Banned

Wolfenstein over UT

We have a majority of gamers eager for a Wolfenstein server, but many still have not bought the game...

So two problems exist:

1 -- No one has stepped forward since the last poll to offer their services in hosting the site.

2 -- We still have enough people NOT playing Wolfenstein and ONLY able to play UT.

Some of the advantages of Wolfenstein would be possible "clan" play since we would have enough players in the same time zone and geographically close enough (so ping results to the server would be alright). Wolfenstein is also a really good game and most people will, in time, own a copy of it.

This poll is just to gauge where we are as a forum. Maybe the need for a game server no longer exists.
Old 3rd January, 2002, 05:46 PM
Banned

I just wanted to note this will be the last/final poll concerning the gaming servers. Whatever comes of this is it, the grand finale, the meat and potatoes, the...

We need some resolution as right now no one appears to be using the UT server(s) at all.

If/when the time comes we DO get a wolfenstein server running, we can decide clan stuff then. Maybe all we need to do is start a clan, have a homepage, and just go around to other's servers and frag them , though a home server would be nice.
Old 3rd January, 2002, 10:59 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Wolfenstein all the way baby! And I have serious doubts that a Wolf server could be run off a cable modem connection. That would support maybe 3-4 based upon some of the stuff I've heard from clan servers I frag at

If this did get voted in, we'd need to find someone who has a very fast connection (T1 or T3 or OC12 )...

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2002, 11:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
Wolfenstein all the way baby! And I have serious doubts that a Wolf server could be run off a cable modem connection. That would support maybe 3-4 based upon some of the stuff I've heard from clan servers I frag at

If this did get voted in, we'd need to find someone who has a very fast connection (T1 or T3 or OC12 )...
if wolf is anything like CounterStrike......we'll atleast need a 100KB upload....ATLEAST
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2002, 06:26 PM
Member/Contributer

I never seem to catch any of you online on the server anyway, but I'd go with wolf!
Old 4th January, 2002, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan
I never seem to catch any of you online on the server anyway, but I'd go with wolf!
This weekend it's me and Wolfenstein for 2+ hours. Wanna get the ins/outs of some of the maps so I can join a clan and get my $50 worth
Old 6th January, 2002, 04:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

I just got Wolfenstein, and have been playing the single player only so far. I'd join you guys on either game, though...
Old 6th January, 2002, 06:05 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

This weekend it's me and Wolfenstein for 2+ hours. Wanna get the ins/outs of some of the maps so I can join a clan and get my $50 worth
Depot and Destruction are the BEST maps, IMO. Good stuff. The one with the communications tower is good too though.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 6th January, 2002, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:

Depot and Destruction are the BEST maps, IMO. Good stuff. The one with the communications tower is good too though.
I ended up playing UT one-on-one with a friend who's just learning instead...

I'll eventually get my money's worth
Old 8th January, 2002, 03:18 AM
Banned

Dunno how long I should let this go until I decide... I guess Friday will do.

Right now, Wolfenstein is winning. If someone wants to go ahead and look into any hosting ideas or if we'll need to take the 'clan' approach, now would be the time to discuss. I'd actually like to play some Wolf with/against you guys Friday ...
Old 8th January, 2002, 04:21 AM
Systems Administrator

Friday,eh? What am I doing Friday? Crap, I know I'm doing something because my Dad was just joking about how my sister could play her music at dinner time on Friday, cuz we weren't going to be home. Crap, where are we going??? I don't remember. But I might be able to get a server up on my Athlon 1000 with a cable connection if necessity warrants.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 8th January, 2002, 05:44 AM
eobard

If Wolfenstein wins and not enough people have it yet (like me) you could serve up the newer demo that has the two different maps. Even if not everyone has the demo it's not going to cost anything but time to get it.
Old 8th January, 2002, 12:59 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
If Wolfenstein wins and not enough people have it yet (like me) you could serve up the newer demo that has the two different maps. Even if not everyone has the demo it's not going to cost anything but time to get it.
Good idea.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 8th January, 2002, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
As much of a good idea that is (and I'd play online with the demo too ), for AOA to put its name to it I'd want something more permanent... meaning, something that will last through next month .
Old 10th January, 2002, 05:23 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
meaning, something that will last through next month .
LOL, you mean something that won't be a big flop?

Honestly, I think the key is setting up times to play. This way you are almost guaranteed to have at least one other person on at those times.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 10th January, 2002, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

LOL, you mean something that won't be a big flop?

Honestly, I think the key is setting up times to play. This way you are almost guaranteed to have at least one other person on at those times.
Agreed (hadn't bothered with UT once I got the idea it was on its way out )... well, a host would be nice, so we have someplace to play

Phiber said he might set it up this weekend and have us hammer at it. I should be able to make the time.

I will need some guidance from the members as to idea EST times to setup the schedules as we have a large British constituency.

That's a big word.
Old 11th January, 2002, 12:49 PM

OK OK, I DL'd the Wolfy Multiplayer Demo and played for hr's on end, dang KEWL it is.

It's ALL Pinky's fault
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 11th January, 2002, 01:15 PM
Systems Administrator

Well, don't tell my parents this , but I stay up 'til about 12:30 EST or so on Fridays and Saturdays, so maybe we could do like 9-11 EST or something. And on weekdays I'm up until 9:00 EST.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 11th January, 2002, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, don't tell my parents this , but I stay up 'til about 12:30 EST or so on Fridays and Saturdays, so maybe we could do like 9-11 EST or something. And on weekdays I'm up until 9:00 EST.
I dunno if I'll be around after all tonight, and tomorrow is a friendly UT competition with the seniors/mods at "the other forums". Sorry bro, we'll frag soon, promise. Maybe Monday evening.
Old 11th January, 2002, 11:03 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:

I dunno if I'll be around after all tonight, and tomorrow is a friendly UT competition with the seniors/mods at "the other forums". Sorry bro, we'll frag soon, promise. Maybe Monday evening.
OK, that's cool. BTW, off-topic, but Super and I've got some really good ideas for the File Download Team.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?