AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th February, 2004, 05:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Warmart

U should try Unreal2-XMP!!

Just would like to help spread the word on an absolutely fabulous class-based FPS, Unreal2-XMP.

Atari of course sacked the designers "Legend Entertainment", and have done next to nothing to promote this free addon to Unreal2. Of course they promote UT2K4 to no end I, like many, didn't think too much of Unreal2 singleplayer. Don't let memories or rumors of that game keep you away from XMP though!

Forget running around vulnerable while looking for weapons, you spawn with all weapons for your chosen class (and can change classes upon suicide or death). All classes can revive their teammates, and each class can provide others health or ammo.

The three perfectly balanced classes (you may not think they are balanced at first, but you'll soon agree):

Gunner - Rockets, Flamethrower, 2 dif. Grenades, 2 dif. Mines, and supplies ammo to others.
Ranger - Sniper, Hitscan pistol, 2 dif. Grenades, Shock Lance, and supplies health to others.
Tech - Assault rifle, 2 dif. Grenades, Shotgun, and can place 2 types of turrets and forcefield walls.

Thinking of this game as "4 Flag CTF" is a good way to initially understand it. But there is so much more. Energy is key in this game, many different capabilities are enabled/disabled as you gain/lose energy. Each class has vastly different movement abilities and varying speeds in hacking things. As such, teamwork is paramount and really is where the fun begins. But even "lone ranger" type players can find a certain job/task they enjoy, be it hacking remote deploy points or generators, or building a nearly impenetrable defense around their node, etc. Basically there's something for everyone. Artifact (flag) running, defense, hacking, long range sniping, midfield dm, vehicles, it's all there for you.

There are a wide variety of maps being played (and in development), some interesting mutators like "suicide raptors" that Rangers can deploy. There's something utterly satisfying about screaming "uhlalalalalalala" (that's the horn sound lol) as you crash a suicide raptor into a traumatized enemy, leaving nothing but death and destruction as you gleefully scamper away

The competitive community is small but very active. Have seen many new clan players recently so the future is looking good. Anyone is welcome to come to my clan's (OMNI) irc if you'd like to jump in a game or just chat. We're on irc.dynamix.com #omni, you could also stop by irc.gamesurge.com #u2xmp. Many of the Legend developers and most respected members of the community gather there.

If you find 2k4 is just more of the same recycled fragging, or even if you're loving 2k4, you still owe it to yourself to have an open mind, and try the underdog game! Don't come in, play an hour, and make your mind up, give it a few days and I'm sure you'll agree just what a gem this game is. If you like Tribes, Unreal (any flavor), or just want a fresh take on what was a somewhat tired genre, then XMP is for you.

I've been playing XMP since the demo was released and haven't had this much fun in an online FPS in years. Unreal2 can be had for as little as $7, and XMP is a free download. The demo is a great intro to XMP, and highly recommended for the uninitiated, but full XMP is 100x the fun. For those of you that get the Demo to try, keep in mind that Atari has done something to the demo master server, and you'll be lucky to see even a few servers, some see none! Rest assured there are plenty of good servers (all over the world) for full XMP.

Sorry for the long winded post
Radeon 9800pro @ 425/378

Last edited by Warmart; 16th February, 2004 at 06:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2004, 10:13 PM

with u2xmp for the full game u'll need a directx9 card to get a decent level of performance, some of the maps will make a dx7 crawl it'll be near unplayable even at low resolutions.

on the other hand a top end GPU will let you max all settings at 1600/1200 (it looks really awsome)

great game, exceptional for the price
Old 17th February, 2004, 08:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Long winded? Dude you just made our front page!

http://www.aoaforums.com/

Thank you and...Welcome to AOA Warmart!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2004, 03:46 PM

Heheh Wow. Thank you Daniel!

And to think I wasn't quite awake yet at the time. Seems I stayed up too late playing XMP like usual

If we can get more people playing and enjoying XMP I'll be real happy.
Radeon 9800pro @ 425/378
Old 17th February, 2004, 07:48 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Read ME
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 18th February, 2004, 12:49 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

It was a pleasure Warmart!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 18th February, 2004, 03:00 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

BTW Dan, you should have a "package" in the mail soon!!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 18th February, 2004, 04:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

My Precioussss! Golum loves pakagessss":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 18th February, 2004, 04:02 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via ICQ to R0BB23 Send a message via AIM to R0BB23 Send a message via MSN to R0BB23 Send a message via Yahoo to R0BB23

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Read ME
Rob
I dont know, that sounds like a trap!

"Opinions are like kittens, I'm giving them away."
-Modest Mouse
Old 19th February, 2004, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
BTW Dan, you should have a "package" in the mail soon!!!!
Rob

Hmm, if u hadn't put quotes around package, I would've had to say, "Doh! u said package!".

But seems that I can't very well get away with it now
Radeon 9800pro @ 425/378
Old 21st February, 2004, 09:50 PM
AOA Staff

Seems to me that there's fewer people playing XMP now.