AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th July, 2004, 12:51 AM

MMORPG's

has anyone taken a look at some new ones comming out soon! World of Warcraft looks real hot and so does the Matrix one too. I just love MMORPG;s but i hate how they also have monthly access fee;s so i can only afford 1 at a time if that
Asetek Waterchill Antartica
2x512 OCZ Platinum LL pc3200 @2.6v
2xSeagate 80 gig SATA raid-0
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)
Pioneer 16x DL+DVD burner
Dell M992 19"crt 1600x1200 .24dp

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
[url=http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=45]
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2004, 03:11 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Subscription ruins MMORPG imo. This made worse by initial purchase of the game itself. All in the pursuit of money.

What the hell happened to the days when people made games as a pastime. For example the 'bedroom coders' The games these people made had quality as the number one priority.

This brings me to my issues with EA games.

Now nearly 40% of new games released have the EA sticker on it. 'Why am I bothered?' I hear you wonder. Well.. I'm bothered because nearly all the games released are absolute rubbish.

Lord of the rings (film) was big, and when a game was released, most people went out and bought it... only to find it's utter rubbish. EA exploited the movie title and released the digital equivalent of manure. And to rub salt in the wound, EA released the follow up (two towers). Us 'consumers' went out bought it hoping for n improvement and what did we get? The same steaming pile of Manure but with different levels. Now that EA have made their money from it, they can move on.

I could say the same about the Harry Potter series.

EA's domination of the gaming industry means other developers can't get a product in edge way, and I fear that EA will bleed the gaming industry dry.

[/endrant]

Sorry Karbon for owning your thread.

**Thread Relevant**

The matrix looks good, but I don't think it will be lengthly enough, there seems to little to do. WOW also looks good and I expect it will be rather popular.

I've heard there is a LOTR RPG coming soon, which sounds promising.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 26th July, 2004 at 03:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2004, 03:24 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
I've heard there is a LOTR RPG coming soon, which sounds promising.
I'll see if I can find a link.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 26th July, 2004, 03:42 AM

yeah i was thinking about how sweet a LOTR MMORPG would be considering it's very popular movie/book series and there is an endless possibilities they could work with but i think EA would have to hand the idea over to a real game developer and stick to Madden 200X series of football games
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
AOA Team fah
Old 26th July, 2004, 09:03 PM
Member/Contributer

I've decided that if they come out with a Fallout mmorpg, I'll probebly accidentally kill myself. Sleep deprivation, starving, atrophy...etc. "good thing" interplay or was it black isle, went under Down to the matrix one, you KNOW everyone will be Neo1241908509185091 and wear a black trenchcoat I've been told CoH is awsome, but I'm not into MMORPG's, that I'm sure that'd be a problem for me.
Old 26th July, 2004, 09:54 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

EverQuest II is on the map too, and the videos that SoE have released look pretty smart. Just have to see how the thing really plays - hopefully beta players won't have an NDA so strong they can't say anything about the game.
Old 26th July, 2004, 10:03 PM

EA have released some good games (SSX Tricky for example) as well as bad games. The problem is that people keep buying the bad games. As far as the Harry Potter series, the latest game installment was designed for kids, rather than adults. EA's MMORPG, "Earth and Beyond" didn't make the impact they wanted. It's got a sunset date some time in september now. It had potential, but the storylines were not really strong enough to support what they wanted to do.

LOTR would limit what you could do as an MMORPG, as people would have some sense of expectation that it would follow the plot of the six books. That in it's own right would cause problems, especially as plenty of people would expect to be the lead characters!
Old 26th July, 2004, 10:10 PM

EQ II will be a prettier version of EQ - in other words, nothing new. Blizzard had a chance to do something new and different in MMORPGs, yet the end result is just another MMORPG. Heck, I've played most all of them - everything from Meridian 59 to City of Heroes (and if you rememeber Meridian 59, you play too many games and have been for too damn long!), and to be honest you just need to find the one that you like. I had heard a rumour a while back that someone had purchased the rights to produce a Star Trek MMORPG - which will either be the coolest thing anyone has ever seen or the biggest pile of crap. I'm hoping for the former.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th July, 2004, 10:17 PM
AOA Staff

A star Trek MMORPG sounds like an idea.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 27th July, 2004, 03:13 AM

Star Trek MMORPG hmmm.
i'll just be Scotty and beam people up
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
AOA Team fah
Old 27th July, 2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
EQ II will be a prettier version of EQ - in other words, nothing new.
EQII looks like it's basing itself around different rules to EQ, so gameplay will definately be different. It'll still be a fantasy setting, but that's hardly surprising.

My introduction to MMORPGs was really with TinyMUD and CircleMUD, before computers were really capable of handling 3D graphics. Mind you, that did offer the oppertunity to be an 'implementor', but that side was horribly complex, as zones are not easy things to create.
Old 1st August, 2004, 07:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Earth and Beyond.. i beta tested for that.. during that time it was FREE i spent many hours into the night and morning playing it

i got it the christmas closest to its release and played again. E&B was quite good, they just didnt update it fast enough. people keep saying EA, but E&B was developed byWestwood Studios i'm aware EA owned WW before E&B, i was annoyed they had to swallow the sub-brands up and not let them keep their names..

anyone playing the beta of earth and beyond would remember that just at the end of the opening video a westwood studios logo was displayed, after one of the small patches it disappeared :'(

Also in the opening video the gates they used in it were in use during beta and much better than the octagonal ones in the released game.
Old 1st August, 2004, 10:03 PM

E&B is dead, and probably best kept that way now. As far as a brand name goes, it's exactly that, a brand name used by marketing. EA's own inhouse systems were used during the lifetime of E&B, so to claim it was 100% Westwood would not be correct.
Old 2nd August, 2004, 07:58 PM

I beta tested E&B as well and enjoyed it thoroughly.....the only thing that turned me away were the ass-backwards ship controls and the fact that I kept getting lost and ending up in enemy port (-.-)../
On another note, for about seven months now I have been playing Final Fantasy XI. FFXI is an involving game with allot of character interaction and immense possibility for expansion. The game in it's most basic sense, is a mission based RPG. However the multi-player side of it allows for users to take their own paths and create a character truly unique to themselves. The user has the choice to roam freely throughout the world with the aid of an updated battle system that virtually eliminates all random encounters allowing enemies to be avoided if so desired. A living, breathing economy also adds to the playability allowing users to take on jobs outside the role they initially selected.
Square Enix(formerly Squaresoft) has proven that they are quite capable of keeping something as massive as FFXI running with regular maintenance and prompt bug fixes. The addition of expansion packs have increased the size of the world and what people can do in it. Square currently shows no signs of slowing either, even with their newest title, Final Fantasy XII, just over the horizon.
Old 14th August, 2004, 03:53 PM

FFXI is definately an amazing MMORPG, a Matrix one however....would be horrible. It's best to let a good series bow out, but making an MMORPG of it is only going to taint what was a good series, kinda like the travesty that are the EA LOTR games. They've finished games for all the movies, now they're still making new ones. It all sounds like a money-making scheme to me.
Old 14th August, 2004, 05:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
What the hell happened to the days when people made games as a pastime. For example the 'bedroom coders' The games these people made had quality as the number one priority.
This is a little off topic.

There still are small developers. You just have to look a little harder for them nowadays. There is a subscription service called totalgaming.net which allows smaller developers to publish their games. I recently subscribed to it (subscription is on a yearly basis, pay one fee and get a year's worth of games) and I'm happy with the selection and quality of the games it offers. Some of the games you may have heard of before (the brand new The Political Machine and the great Galactic Civilizations) some others you may have not (ORB, a great RTS set in space.) However, each one I've played so far has been simply great. They may not have the best graphics or a major publisher but they do have new ideas and a whole lot more heart than big games do nowadays.
Old 14th August, 2004, 09:45 PM

Ahhh, Gal Civ, all the way from OS/2. Given that Gal Civ and the Political Machine are Stardock's (The people behind WindowBlinds), and totalgaming.net is also Stardock's, it's hardly surprising!

I know that Brad and the lads had a lot of trouble with publishing, so I hope that Stardock can actually provide something decent for both the indies and the buyers.