AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd August, 2004, 06:12 PM
AOA Staff

Talking DOOM 3 on my desk

I snatched up a copy this morning at BestBuy, as soon as I get my work done its GAME ON!
Old 3rd August, 2004, 06:45 PM
AOA Staff

I am jealous! It will be released here on the 13th.
Old 3rd August, 2004, 06:52 PM

10 whole days. Still I'm not willing to do the ebay $100 or rip it off kazaa thing.

Been playing quake to pass the time. But I'ma lmost half way through already. Tried Doom but my legacy audio driver on winXP eats so much CPU time that doom runs slower than the Doom3 alpha leak!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2004, 06:55 PM
Member/Contributer

Be sure to live to tell, Surly!
Old 3rd August, 2004, 07:17 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i'll have my copy friday morning.. and if i'm one of the lucky first ten, i'll get an audigyLS and command and conquer generals for free! is that a deal or what? @ all futureshop locations in canada! gonna hve to get there early and beat out all the kids!
Old 3rd August, 2004, 08:31 PM
AOA Staff

I have only jumped outa my seat like 5 times in the first level..

this game is spooky!!
Old 3rd August, 2004, 10:15 PM
AOA Staff

Do you have any screen shots?
Old 3rd August, 2004, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Do you have any screen shots?
It's too late, he's already petrified in front of his screen.

or maybe this happened:
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~extrali...ate=2004-07-26

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2004, 11:54 PM
AOA Staff

There's 170 screen shots here:
http://cgw.1up.com/do/slideshow?page...t=&cId=2006909
Old 4th August, 2004, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

I picked it up earlier. If anything can give me nightmares at this age, Doom 3 surely can. I can only really play it for a while and then take a break or else I'd go out of my mind. The game is so very very dark; since you can only use your flashlight when you don't have a weapon out sometimes you'll find yourself shooting in the dark. I've got a couple of screens for you guys but they're not very good at all. They're all of dead bodies since the live ones seem to want to kill me. They seem to unintentially showcase the deformable body parts. Oh, BTW the guy without a head in the first shot still was coming after me after I blew his face off with the shotgun. Get this game and then schedule an appointment with your shrink.

http://homepage.mac.com/fantomfreq/PhotoAlbum10.html

Edit: I've added a few more pics. This page will probably grow slowly as the days go on. Anyway, there are two new pics of some sort of sacrificial chamber I found. I located a PDA in that room that I'd been looking for and not a second later I was completely ambushed by three imps. The room has candles, that devil symbol glowing in the middle, pulsating flesh walls and several dead bodies in it. The last pic is one of gameplay. I'm shooting a zombie dude in the head with a shotgun. I took it a quarter second too late so you can't see the blood flying but this gives you a good indication of what you see during the game. Darkness, that is.

Last edited by fantomfreq; 4th August, 2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old 5th August, 2004, 04:26 AM

Appreciate the effort fantomfreq even if some of us are green with envious palpitations .
Everyone seems to be focusing on graphics (easy to do with the focus being on greater visual accuracy & 'realism') but as fantomfreq states in a game so dark (in all ways) I bet its the audio cues & atmospherics that really set the 'dread' off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaveca
.. if i'm one of the lucky first 10, i'll get an audigyLS and command and conquer generals for free! is that a deal or what? @ all futureshop locations in canada! gonna hve to get there early and beat out all the kids!
Hi Dude.
Make sure you go sleep outside the store near the entrance the night before!
Take a book (or something) with you & a flashlight/torch.
At 1st light stand outside the store & read.
Make sure you have the route to the game isles & then to the checkout planned in advance!
Burst in, flooring the hapless store-clerk, the second the doors are unlocked. Miaaaaow!
Old 5th August, 2004, 04:43 PM

I'm interested in doing some sort of gameplay video for you guys who have to wait. I looked for and downloaded several programs but none worked like I expected and most of them sucked. My question is this: do you guys know of any program that would let me record video of the game so I could post it for you all to see?
Old 5th August, 2004, 05:21 PM

Bink.
takes some getting used to, but bink and smacker is what i use
Old 5th August, 2004, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimViesel

Hi Dude.
Make sure you go sleep outside the store near the entrance the night before!
Take a book (or something) with you & a flashlight/torch.
At 1st light stand outside the store & read.
Make sure you have the route to the game isles & then to the checkout planned in advance!
Burst in, flooring the hapless store-clerk, the second the doors are unlocked. Miaaaaow!
only problem is that i have a 1 year old and 3 year old that i have to take with me as the wife leaves for work in the wee hours of the morn'. Been trying to con all my friends to go, or at least get someone with a car to drive me, but i'm not having alot of luck. after waiting over 6 years for a game to be released, you better believe i will THE FIRST OR SECOND to get my grubby hands on a copy. Don't think it'll be much of an issue anyway, as the have been selling pre-orders for 10 with a bunch of cheap free stuff like demo disks and magazines that kids seem to scoop up. But ya never know. ther may very well be a line up. the store opens @ 10, and i'm gonna be there by like 7:30. Will let ya all know how it goes....lol. gotta go pick up a new webcam or something anyway.
Old 5th August, 2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Bink.
takes some getting used to, but bink and smacker is what i use
I downloaded these tools but they seem to be just for encoding and compressing files, not for recording video of what you're doing on your computer. Did we misunderstand each other here or is there a feature that I'm just not seeing?
Old 6th August, 2004, 05:11 AM

That simple webpage has been updated with a few more crappy pics. This time I got an action shot or two for you guys, but it's just so hard to do it with the game being so dark. Also, the screens don't do this game justice. You just have to play it to get the whole experience, though I figure that if you're reading this you DO plan on getting it as soon as it becomes readily available to you.

http://homepage.mac.com/fantomfreq/PhotoAlbum10.html
Old 6th August, 2004, 09:25 AM

Just got my new sound card. After all that, cadaveca, I had to get just a 8738 card but with a built in optical connection.

So only Prologic stereo for games (unless i buy a set of analogue 5.1 speakers). My digital amp only has stereo and optical inputs. Maybe if they release a DD5.1 encoder for doom (yeh right) I'll be able to use the pass through.

Still, with the optical link, the quality is much better than the analogue i was using that used an inline phono connector to put two cables together.

Hopefully this'll make my Doom rock slightly more. Shame about the surround though. Back to Quake in anticipation...

AOA Team fah
Old 6th August, 2004, 09:42 AM

yeah it's unfortunate that it works the way it does, but it's more D3D's fault than anything else. i got my copy a day earlier than anyone else in the city(my friend works at a videogame store), and played it until i died the first time. i was folding, and had 3 bittorrents going, so it took abt 15 minutes for the textures to get loaded and the hesitations to stop, but when they did....omg does it look nice. once my downloads finish, i'll be installing a zalman ZM80D-HP on my vid card, and hopefully that will allow me to get reall xt speeds, and then i can flash to a the xt bios, and get those 3 extra fps....lol
Old 6th August, 2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
I downloaded these tools but they seem to be just for encoding and compressing files, not for recording video of what you're doing on your computer. Did we misunderstand each other here or is there a feature that I'm just not seeing?
sorry for not being clear.. i was slightly rushed when i posted that.
you use FRAPS to record the video...and you'll have to find something to record the sound...i run a cable from my line out to my mic line(i don't recommend doing so yourself as it may cause feedback that can fry your sound card...i have 3 more cards right at my feet now, so i don't mind losing one) and record the sound using cubasis. Once you have the sound and video files, use bink OR smacker to mix'em together.
Old 6th August, 2004, 07:35 PM

I got a nice short video of some basic gameplay up for you guys! It doesn't have sound (because that seemed like a lot of work) but it shows off a few enemy types, the dynamic lighting and the early environments. It's in .bik format so you'll have to have bink to watch it, but something tells me that many of you already do have it. Enjoy!

http://homepage.mac.com/fantomfreq/....57A04-link.gen

EDIT: Ok so something retarded happened when I uploaded the file. In order to make it work just delete the end and rename it .bik and it should work. Sorry about that.

Last edited by fantomfreq; 6th August, 2004 at 07:46 PM.